Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

When is a BOV needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is a BOV needed?

Is it safe to say that the STS kits come with a blow off valve? Does it matter if a car is an auto or a 6 speed when using a bov? Does a bov play a different role with an intercooler as opposed to a setup without an intercooler?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

It does matter if the car is A4 or M6, what happens is when your throttle blade closes under full boost the pressure pushes back on the compressor turbine and causes the turbo to go from a super high rpm (say 50k) down to 0 or less, this puts additional wear on the turbo.

So the blowoff valve opens when there is a pressure difference between the intake manifold pressure and the intake pipe pressure before the tb and it opens the valve, bleeding off the pressure so the turbo doesn't get back spun.

Does that make sense?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

On an auto with low boost it is not really needed. On a 6-spd I'd probably get one even at low boost because you are lifting off the gas and therefore closing the TB blade during each shift.

On high boost situations I would use a BOV no matter what. It's just insurance AND can mean the difference bewteen winning and losing a street race.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
It does matter if the car is A4 or M6, what happens is when your throttle blade closes under full boost the pressure pushes back on the compressor turbine and causes the turbo to go from a super high rpm (say 50k) down to 0 or less, this puts additional wear on the turbo.

So the blowoff valve opens when there is a pressure difference between the intake manifold pressure and the intake pipe pressure before the tb and it opens the valve, bleeding off the pressure so the turbo doesn't get back spun.

Does that make sense?
Makes cents to me, its more important w/ ball baring turbos, the back and forth pressure wares the bearings faster, also by not having the back pressure slow down the blades the turbo or turbos will stay spooled up between shifts. Plus its fun to see all the ricers look up in wonderment as your v8 American muscle pops of the BOV between shifts.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either way you need one. It's cheap insurence
Old 03-25-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Boostaholic

Does that make sense?
that is possibly the best explanation I've ever read, i already knew how one worked, but it took a lot of reading about turbos and stuff.