Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo/Open header-going to exhaust shop today

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo/Open header-going to exhaust shop today

I had a Borla exhaust at one point and after adding a cut out I picked up a ton of power due to the restriction of the Borla.

I have since removed the entire cat-back for less weight and for a little extra $. I am now essentially running open headers, where the exhaust flange used to attach to the catback is now 100% open...and I have a cut out before that (just because I have not had it removed yet)

My question is, is this to wide open? Do I need more restriction? I would like to quiet it down a little and was considering adding a bullet muffler with a dump....would this help with the sound? Should I do a 3" for more restriction, or 3 1/2" for less restriction?

Also, if the bullet is to loud, would a longer glasspack be OK and not hurt my performance?

Anyways, thanks for the input, I am planning on going to my exhaust guy today
Old 03-24-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as the gases arnt aimed at anything that would get hurt from it concerning perfomance you want less restriction as posible, the turbo provides enough back pressure yfor the engine.
id go with 3.5"
im not sure the performance gains from a glass pack vrs bullit.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
as long as the gases arnt aimed at anything that would get hurt from it concerning perfomance you want less restriction as posible, the turbo provides enough back pressure yfor the engine.
id go with 3.5"
im not sure the performance gains from a glass pack vrs bullit.
I have 3" piping, a 3 to 3 1/2" expander, and a 3 1/2" bullet muffler sitting in my garage.....is that the right way to go?

Will the bullet quiet it down much over no muffler at all?
Old 03-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Any other thoughts?
Old 03-24-2005, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Bullet will definitely knock the sound down. Make it a slip fit or a flanged setup and you can (a) take it off for the track and (b) experiment with other mufflers.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:24 AM
I ruin the end of films...

My exhaust consists of about 24" of pipe off each downpipe and a mini muffler from Schoenfeld. Someday I'll fab up a "real" exhaust system, but until then, this will do.

Like smokinhawk said, less backpressure, the better.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Thanks a lot guys, I will install the bullet today and post my results!
Old 03-24-2005, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

LS1Tech 10 Year

Exhaust for FI is always a compromise. My rule of thumb is, if I can see through it, I might use it. Bullets were always too loud for me. I run dual 3" Magnaflow stainless.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Exhaust for FI is always a compromise. My rule of thumb is, if I can see through it, I might use it. Bullets were always too loud for me. I run dual 3" Magnaflow stainless.
My problem is I don't have much room and I nees something that doesn't have a large diameter. I think Borla's would work the best for overall sound, but they are like an inch wider (on the outside diameter, not inlet/outlet)
Old 03-24-2005, 12:05 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

John, you're on a blower right? Turbo will help cut that sound down some too but @ WOT not much helps.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

LS1Tech 10 Year

So you have a open down pipe somewhere near the front of the car?

It's not a huge deal to go get a 12.0 or 18.0 long bullet and slap it on the car, they are like $35.

Maybe also get a turn down (maybe clamp that too), and angle it away from the driver's seat, maybe a 45 degree angle. Can make a huge difference.

Exhaust is usually a process of experimentation... how loud vs how efficient.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kcshaner
I had a Borla exhaust at one point and after adding a cut out I picked up a ton of power due to the restriction of the Borla.

I have since removed the entire cat-back for less weight and for a little extra $. I am now essentially running open headers, where the exhaust flange used to attach to the catback is now 100% open...and I have a cut out before that (just because I have not had it removed yet)

My question is, is this to wide open? Do I need more restriction? I would like to quiet it down a little and was considering adding a bullet muffler with a dump....would this help with the sound? Should I do a 3" for more restriction, or 3 1/2" for less restriction?

Also, if the bullet is to loud, would a longer glasspack be OK and not hurt my performance?

Anyways, thanks for the input, I am planning on going to my exhaust guy today

How much is a ton of power?? The borla opens up like a cutout and should flow pretty well.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Purple Poncho
How much is a ton of power?? The borla opens up like a cutout and should flow pretty well.
borla doesn't flow as well as you may think. it still has a muffler on it. you want really well flowing catbacks? LM, Hooker, then magnaflow imho.

Also consider a sweet thunder muffler, they flow well, only downside is the 3"od/2.5"ID. will definitely give the exhaust note more character and tone it down some.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

the less restrictive you make a turbo the faster it spools and the more power it makes. I'd run it long long enough with some kind of muffler and a turn down, you're gonna smell exhaust fumes big time when idling and choke yourself out and bloodshot eyes all the time.

Quick Reply: Turbo/Open header-going to exhaust shop today