Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Pro Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005 | 07:57 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Default Turbo Pro Mod

Those of you that know about this class, it's perhaps one of the wildest classes of doorslammers around. Current record is held by an alky blower car @ 5.98 seconds @ 239 MPH if I am not mistaken. Most of you also know the name Mike Moran. Ala the outlaw car that has gone 240+ MPH in the 1320'.

Previous to this year, the NHRA hasn't sanctioned Turbocharged cars for use in their Pro Mod Shootout series (I think it's sponsored by Ames oil? (sp?)). Well...attached is the aforementioned small block pro mod that runs the east coast series that Big Mike and I were talking about on Kurt's thread (sorry Kurt, didn't mean to hyjack it). I've mentioned this thing in a few other threads and decided to finally post some pics of it. You should recognize it from my avatar.

Car specs: Owner, driver, crew chief, engine man, Andy Jensen (if you're from around PA, NJ, MD, NY (apparently) you'll recognize the name. He's out of Neskopeck, PA. (Sorry, I haven't found a website to date so I doubt they have one). Maybe Big Mike knows more, but as you'll see, HUGER than HUGE turbo on a speculated 427" SBC. If it's anything like the outlaw street car that he built, it's running splayed valve brodix heads, with a BIG cam (for a turbo car) and spinning it hard. Anywho...without adew...

Sorry about the image quality, I can't host so I had to cut them down and compress them. Still good enough. If you want the raw files...I can send them to you. All photography rights are reserved by the author, not that any of you would steal from me
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Pro Mod-second-rd.-qual.jpg   Turbo Pro Mod-tech-edit-burnout.jpg   Turbo Pro Mod-tech-edit-motor.jpg   Turbo Pro Mod-tech-edit-back.jpg   Turbo Pro Mod-tech-edit-reversing-stage.jpg  

Old 04-19-2005 | 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's too nice! I have to see that beast in action.
Old 04-19-2005 | 09:28 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
That's too nice! I have to see that beast in action.

I don't know how far south he runs Sick. He may trek down to Darlington but I'm not sure. Like I said, he runs his own shop and this is how he show cases his tallents. Those in the know around this area, know that when you hear "Andy built my motor" you better be going the other way or paying up. I don't know how good they are with Gen III stuff, but if he's had any time with it to work out the combinations, I'm sure it's just as mean as some of our sponsor's stuff. (No dig on them). Also friendly too, from the limited interaction I've had with them.
Old 04-19-2005 | 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Here's more on the Jensen car before it was a turbo!

http://www.geocities.com/garageclub/andy_jensen.html
Old 04-19-2005 | 09:46 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Yeah, that's the OLD! car. He still has it near as I can tell from "googling" him. New one posted above is a completely new car.
Old 04-19-2005 | 09:53 PM
Teching In

Thats my neighbor. I live about 200 yard from his shop. We race down at beaver springs raceway together at the street car shootout he hosts any nobody can touch his street car it was 476ci n/a inspected, mufflers the whole 9 yards and 7.70 et's on et streets (i think). Now its going to be 800+ci n/a looking for low 7's and his turbo car is a whole different story. Best part about it is his two cars both look identical (almost) and once in a while you see them driving around town.
Old 04-20-2005 | 10:59 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by ssmr0501
Thats my neighbor. I live about 200 yard from his shop. We race down at beaver springs raceway together at the street car shootout he hosts any nobody can touch his street car it was 476ci n/a inspected, mufflers the whole 9 yards and 7.70 et's on et streets (i think). Now its going to be 800+ci n/a looking for low 7's and his turbo car is a whole different story. Best part about it is his two cars both look identical (almost) and once in a while you see them driving around town.

Doubt the turbo car is on the street ssmr, definately not tagged and definately a beast. The link above that Big Mike posted is of the street vette which I have seen run into the 6.70s consistently, and I know they ran 6.67 with it in "street" form with the big inch SBC, obviously on N2O. Next time he has an open house or something of that nature...please let us know. 2 wks until him and a lot of other pro mods should be @ Cecil Co. in MD. They usually get @ least a field of 12 to run.
Old 04-20-2005 | 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

How big is the turbo....106mm?
Old 04-20-2005 | 08:18 PM
Teching In

I don't know the spec's on the turbo or that car in general and TRUE i have never seen the turbo car anywhere except the track, garage, or in the driveway. His "street car" on the other hand has been up and down the block plenty of times with a few huge burnouts. (you know he is around when the black patch on the road is two 15in wide slicks ) The old combo on that car was 476ci with direct port, not sure what size shot. It went a best of 6.66 @ cecil or atco (not sure) and then he removed the nitrous from the car alltogether and it goes 7.70's all day on motor. He is a great guy and alot of radical motors come from his shop. I will alert anybody who cares if he has an open house anytime soon.
Old 04-20-2005 | 08:18 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by NumberOneSled
How big is the turbo....106mm?

HUGE!. It's @ least a 101 and more likely a 106. Enough to inhale small dogs and children unless they are tied down.
Old 04-20-2005 | 08:35 PM
10 second playa

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
HUGE!. It's @ least a 101 and more likely a 106. Enough to inhale small dogs and children unless they are tied down.
That is awsome. I am so glad they are finally letting turbos into Pro Mod.

That is one clean looking Vette.

Is there a website that gives the weight breaks and displacement limits for the different combinations allowed in Pro-Mod?

Are twins allowed?
Old 04-20-2005 | 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Yes twins are allowed. Moran runs twins.
Old 04-20-2005 | 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

I wonder why the charge pipe runs into the firewall...I doubt they have any type of intercooler back there if they are running methanol.
Old 04-20-2005 | 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bryson
I wonder why the charge pipe runs into the firewall...I doubt they have any type of intercooler back there if they are running methanol.
Pretty sure there is an IC back there.
Old 04-20-2005 | 11:32 PM
The Bull

You can check out the latest in the pro modified class by going to www.promodifieds.com and the latest news is typically on www.competitionplus.com.

That is definitely a awesome looking Vette.
Old 04-21-2005 | 09:20 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

I didn't get any shots of the intercooler but if you have seen Moran's in car setup that the Late great Steve Grebieck built for him, it is of similar design. I'll try and snap it in 2 wks as I'm planning on being @ Cecil for the shootout. I do not think they are running on pure methonal, honestly I think they are just running race gas, I might ask though (if they'll say). As SSMR said above, both cars are bad mo fos. The encarnation above is a result of having a "street car" that was simply untouchable on the east coast (maybe even nationally) that ran Quick 8 Unlimited tire classes. The nitrous car was bannashed to run Pro Mod events since they had been running consistantly into the 6.80s and dipping as low as the 6.60s. They warned me and a few buddies they were cooking up something for 04 in 03 to truely compete. This is what they came up with.
Old 04-21-2005 | 09:27 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by ssmr0501
I don't know the spec's on the turbo or that car in general and TRUE i have never seen the turbo car anywhere except the track, garage, or in the driveway. His "street car" on the other hand has been up and down the block plenty of times with a few huge burnouts. (you know he is around when the black patch on the road is two 15in wide slicks ) The old combo on that car was 476ci with direct port, not sure what size shot. It went a best of 6.66 @ cecil or atco (not sure) and then he removed the nitrous from the car alltogether and it goes 7.70's all day on motor. He is a great guy and alot of radical motors come from his shop. I will alert anybody who cares if he has an open house anytime soon.

Radical is really an understatement. Like I said, if you hear someone say "I have an Andy Jensen piece" turn tail and run. Darkblue TA can speak from experience about running into a Nova with a "mild" Jensen 383 pump gas mill. Needless to say, if memory serves, the owner related the fact that 11s were no strech @ all and could be run all day long.
Old 04-21-2005 | 12:16 PM
Teching In

He is running an air/water intercooler in the turbo vette. I don't have any pic's of it.
Old 04-21-2005 | 12:49 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

SSMR, what do you know about their Gen III program, if anything? I know one of Andy's crew memebers told my buddies and I @ the end of 04 they've had some come through.
Old 04-21-2005 | 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
I didn't get any shots of the intercooler but if you have seen Moran's in car setup that the Late great Steve Grebieck built for him, it is of similar design. I'll try and snap it in 2 wks as I'm planning on being @ Cecil for the shootout. I do not think they are running on pure methonal, honestly I think they are just running race gas, I might ask though (if they'll say). As SSMR said above, both cars are bad mo fos. The encarnation above is a result of having a "street car" that was simply untouchable on the east coast (maybe even nationally) that ran Quick 8 Unlimited tire classes. The nitrous car was bannashed to run Pro Mod events since they had been running consistantly into the 6.80s and dipping as low as the 6.60s. They warned me and a few buddies they were cooking up something for 04 in 03 to truely compete. This is what they came up with.

I spoke to my cousin today. We will be at Cecil too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Turbo Pro Mod