Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stock Crank or Aftermarket with F1R

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default real load on crank?

Ya know, the more I think about it, I wonder if there's a difference between the torque at the flywheel and the total load on the crankshaft? Like you said, that procharger is going to put an extra load on the crank. I think most of it will be on the power stroke, because that is where torque is actually being applied to the crank. Since the power stroke (at the peak of the burn) is a compressive load, you should be okay from a piston and con rod point of view. However, it is going to put an extra load on the crank. Say you have 800ft/lb of torque at the flywheel.... and the procharger requires 200ft/lb of torque to run... that means that 1000ft/lb of torque is actually being generated by the pistons pushing down on the crank. I think that is the "real load" that I mentioned above and I think that is what you really need to pay attention to and compare with what other people are running on stock and aftermarket stroked cranks!

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
I'm not 100% sure on harmonics myself. I would just think they would be a bigger issue with a forced induction setup because of the higher cylinder pressures. I don't plant to spin anything over 7000rpm, probably more 6500 or so as I will be using a hydraulic valve train.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I notice alot of the fast guys are not using big strokes. Is this because of the greater exposure to harmonics which probably could be a real issue with such high stress loads on the crank (especially with a blower) or is this because they blow the tires off with all of the torque."
I believe alot of the fast guys spent all their money on cylinder heads,power adders, and chasis work and don't have money left over for bigger motors.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by streetbad
"I notice alot of the fast guys are not using big strokes. Is this because of the greater exposure to harmonics which probably could be a real issue with such high stress loads on the crank (especially with a blower) or is this because they blow the tires off with all of the torque."
I believe alot of the fast guys spent all their money on cylinder heads,power adders, and chasis work and don't have money left over for bigger motors.

But these guys aren't on stock cranks and it wouldn't cost them anything to get a 3.622 version or a 4" or larger version. Ronnie Duke for instance, he runs a smaller then 4" stroke (maybe smaller then 3.622" stroke). Just curious why they would choose the smaller crank when money has nothing to do with it. This does not include the stock crank guys.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well... a bigger stroke will lower the rpm of max power but not change max power much (cylinder head flow limited). Also if a class is based on pounds per cubic inch a smaller motor is an advantage. The risk of preignition goes down as rpm goes up. During (most) races they are not cruiseing around at low rpm looking for throttle response (like me with my stroker) Its ALL done at way high rpm.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:29 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by FastKat
Just want to point one thing out about what you're saying about the longer stroke and piston speed...

A longer stroke increases the "torque arm" or sort of the leverage arm in your engine. (You increase the torque arm of your rachet by putting a breaker bar on it.) More leverage gives you a potential for more torque. Obviously if you increase your displacement you're going to feed it with more fuel/air mixture.... and you're going to increase your torque! and we all know that's the fun stuff!!

For more explanation check out my post on this thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/326799-how-many-have-broken-rods-fi.html

Um, not nessecarily FastKat. HotRod just ran an article about a month ago. Of course we debated the hell out of this while many other people were still going "which cam" but here's the other read that semi-dispells this "myth"

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ore+vs.+Stroke
Old 06-01-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default to stroke or not to stroke, that is the question (and really cheesy, sorry)

If you're fixed by a rulebook on a number of cubes allowed, then the decision becomes much more complicated. If you're trying to decide whether or not you want to stroke your own car, then that's a little different... I think I'd have a hard time finding people to say adding cubes to a 346 LS1 whether in stroke or bore is a bad thing for the strip or a daily driver.

The article excerpt did bring a lot of stuff to light... I haven't really gotten into BMEP yet... that's my next topic to research

And to be fair, increasing your stroke DOES increase your torque arm but it also increases your total displacement, all other things held equal.

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Um, not nessecarily FastKat. HotRod just ran an article about a month ago. Of course we debated the hell out of this while many other people were still going "which cam" but here's the other read that semi-dispells this "myth"

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ore+vs.+Stroke
Old 06-01-2005, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,195 Likes on 770 Posts

Piston velocity.