Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What options do CA users have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What options do CA users have?

I live in California and I have a 78 camaro, its coming time to rebuild ( original mileage 350, 160k miles on it heh ). I was looking to one day put it an LS1 because its a daily driver and 10-15 mpg is pissing me off. My question is what type of forced induction will pass CA emissions? I think the vortech blowers have a CARB ( california air resource board ) number, is there anything else?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

My P1 has a CARB number on it.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Sorry I am pretty new to ls1 engines, whats that exactly?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

ATI Procharger
Old 06-02-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will quickly learn that many people on here have ways around the emmisions laws.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Oh hell I dont have cats on my car, I pay someone to pass it. Generally though, I dont want to have to rely on that for my life, and would honestly like to make some good smog legal streeting power without spending a few thousand dollars on something I have to remove. Cats? Can weld em in an out at a shop. Supercharger? Looks a little harder... I mean hey, if youre going to spend a few thousand, might as well get the CA emissions friendly version right? I wanted a supercharger because it looks great for the street, and I just love those videos of the mustang whine... I definetly want one that whines. I was looking at those centrifugal blowers on these boards people are making ( because I have a 2 3/4 inch cowl on my camaro ), but I dont feel like spending $5k on a kit, id rather buy a cheap blower and fab my own. If I buy the $1600 vortech blower without the whole kit, It would still pass emissions right?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slayn
Oh hell I dont have cats on my car, I pay someone to pass it. Generally though, I dont want to have to rely on that for my life, and would honestly like to make some good smog legal streeting power without spending a few thousand dollars on something I have to remove. Cats? Can weld em in an out at a shop. Supercharger? Looks a little harder... I mean hey, if youre going to spend a few thousand, might as well get the CA emissions friendly version right? I wanted a supercharger because it looks great for the street, and I just love those videos of the mustang whine... I definetly want one that whines. I was looking at those centrifugal blowers on these boards people are making ( because I have a 2 3/4 inch cowl on my camaro ), but I dont feel like spending $5k on a kit, id rather buy a cheap blower and fab my own. If I buy the $1600 vortech blower without the whole kit, It would still pass emissions right?
1.)Passing smog is going to deal w/ the emissions the product has. If you tune it yourself, and it is different than what vortech has tuned, then it could potentially, not pass smog.

2.)You could do nitrous. I don't know much about it, but I see many people on this board using juice, and they seem very happy indeed with the results.

3.)What about a turbo kit? You could fab up your own headers that have a flange to cap it off, and a flange to direct the exhaust out normally. It would be much easier to remove a turbo, than a blower.

4.)I have heard that there are a few carbs,around 600-650cfmish that Holley(?) makes, that are CARB legal. There was a discussion in another thread about this, I forget which forum exactly.

5.)I imagine you could buy the blower, and engine management with it, and fab up your own pipes, and save some money, but doing a blow-through, from what I've taken, would suck royally, unless you know what you are doing. Im no expert by any means, I have merely heard that a blow-through is not something to attempt if you are a noob. Not saying it doesnt work, just that it is more difficult than doing an EFI or DFI FI setup.

I could be wrong with this information, and if I am I apologize. But I do feel that you don't have much choice being as you are in CA. I live there too..and it sucks emissions wise. Although some counties you dont have to pass sniffer I believe...something like that..I can ask my buddy for you if you wish..he would know.

Last edited by marleyskater420; 06-02-2005 at 03:17 AM. Reason: forgot to say cfm
Old 06-02-2005, 04:52 AM
Launching!

according to the CHP, if you do anything to modify the intake or exhaust, technically its illegal and you may be cited for it.

thank arnold for that one.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You will have to go to a referee. You are doing two CARB changes at once. 1st swapping in a newer engine, 2nd bolting on a blower.

Engine swap is legal as long as it is newer than the vehicle (LSx OK) and maintains all newer emissions controlls (cats, egr, air, pcv, computer, etc). A referee will check all this and assign your chassis an inspection number. This option must meet the newer emissions requirements.

The blower is legal if it has an EO approval for an engine familly. I dont see any legal problems with this, except that the inspector will probably get confused and be all over the install like flies on ****. In other words, you cant modify anything beyond what comes off the shelf.

Consider a carburated LSx for simplicity. For gas mileage, swap all the electronics and emissions. For power drop in a massaged SBC. The money you spend on a legal LSx conversion may outway the money you spend on gas with the SBC.

An EFI LSx, naturally aspirated, would be a great setup assuming you swap heads, cam, headers also. Shoot for +450 RWHP or more once you find out exact emissions requirements.

(all counties require testing upon change of ownership, most every two years)
Old 06-02-2005, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

I didnt realize a blower would be such a pain in the ***, heh. Maybe just dropping and LS1 into the camaro will be enough, I am sure I can make plenty of power naturally aspirated. I saw that you could get a vortech blower ( without the entire kit ) for around $1600, and figured it would be cheap and easy to do the rest alone, but I guess I am wrong.

I am definetly going with an 01-02 setup, so I dont even have to worry about EGR ( they removed that in 01 right? ). If I were to switch to a carbureted LS1, hell, Ill stick with my 350. I live in orange county btw. I just wanted a better option than to rebuild an engine that makes a top of 15 miles per gallon, ill take a used LS1 with a better transmisison first. And if I cant afford the supercharger now, at least i Have the option later.

Quick Reply: What options do CA users have?