Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

intank vs external pumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 09:13 PM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default intank vs external pumps

stats: t76 turbo, stock engine, 42lb svo injectors, 5-9 psi

i have a stock rearend and am not looking forward dropping it to get to the tank or cutting the trap door. would an external pump be enough? I'm not looking to go higher than that psi this season, and id upgrade the pump next season when i get a rear-end.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:28 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made 575 with stock pump and a T-rex if that helps, but let me caution you if you put to larger of an external the stocker will block create a blockage for the bigger pump etc... Droping the tank takes very little time 1.5 hours from start to finish out the bottom all you have to take loose is the shocks, swaybar endlinks and T/A and the cat back which will come out as one piece with the rear dropped down. I don't like the idea of cutting the back of the car open, but it is an option and a littel faster according to some I just don't like takeing shortcuts. Current ly I am running a Walbro intank with a MSD Boosta pump on it. I have made as much as 600rwhp depending on weather etc... I have a little left in her too. Good luck!
Jeff
Old 06-04-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are definiantly planning to upgrade next season then I think there are two good options.

1) Small inline pump (like what ATI sells with their kits)

2) Voltage booster on the pump. Only get a kit that increases the fuel pump voltage under boost. Do not get a kit that increases the fuel pump voltage all the time.

Either of the above will safely get you through to next season.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:33 PM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice, an inline would be soooo much easier for me, so im happy to hear that.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

The inlines can have a nasty whine to them that can drive you crazy.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:18 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

The inlines can have a nasty whine to them that can drive you crazy.
Not the T-rex that Vortech sells it is in a 100% insulated cover and it is just plugs in inbetween the feed line and the filter has the same quick disconnects and so I feel it is one of the easiest to install, but I don't care either way. A voltage booster on the inline pump won't work either been there done that the stocker keeps it from providing any added flow Just for future reference etc.. So if you want you can try the V/B on the stocker MTI had very good luck with that on a N02 car , but FI is a little different so I don't know how far that would get you. I am not sure what your power goals are so just thought I'd throw in my .02 and experiences with a few things.

Quick Reply: intank vs external pumps