Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What machine work did you have done to your FI Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 03:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What machine work did you have done to your FI Motor?

I have a few questions about my set-up.

First off, I have a Q.M.P. kit. I know the kit has its fallbacks (restriction/turbo location) but I have seen it make 600-700rwhp reliably on about 5 different cars now. That is all the power I am looking for/can afford right now so I am satisfied.

I bought all the parts I am going to need for the engine and I now just need it machined and assembled. I am having a guy take care of it all for me. All I have to do is drop it off to him and he is going to take care of getting it to a machine shop and then assembling it himself. He is very recommended for his experience and assembly and known for his meticulous care and making sure the engine is flawless. He is charging me $1300. I think it breaks down to $700 for the machine work and $600 for the assembly. Plus another $200 or so for bearings and another $200 for all new engine gaskets (including GM ML Head gaskets.)

Does this sound about right? Does anyone have a list of the machine work they had done and a cost breakdown on it? I need to know what to ask for in case I go a different route and have to take care of the machine work myself. I believe the $700 also included a competition line hone??

FYI: Here are the parts that I chose:
- 5.3L Iron Block
- Diamond Pistons, 8.6cc valve relief, coated Ringlands and Skirts
- Total Seal Rings
- Eagle H-beam Rods with ARP high performance rod bolts
- ARP 12pt. Head Studs
- ARP Main Studs
- Rollmaster Timing Chain
- Ported LS6 Oil Pump
- FFHP Stage II Heads. 2.055/1.60
- GM ML Head Gaskets

If I go this route, everything all together will cost me right at $4800 and that was getting the pistons, rods, coating, rings, head studs and main studs at cost. Does that seem like too much? I'm wondering now if I should of just ordered a fully built motor from a shop instead of doing it piece by piece on my own.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

save the money from heads and put toward another turbo kit.

also could you name the 5? i never seen them around.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:52 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

save the money from heads and put toward another turbo kit.

also could you name the 5? i never seen them around.
I have to agree with David on the heads and buying a better turbo setup instead of heads. I have only seen one maybe two people make those numbers with that turbo set up and the original owner was one of them for sure I would say his name but it would just be marked out. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2005, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am still going to do the heads now and if the kit doesn't work out I will get a new kit later. But thanks for answering my original question guys.

And as far as the 5 cars go. They are all local. I will list their handle or first name and car and leave their last name out of it for their own privacy.

Rob himself - 98 Z28 7xx/8xx with built motor
TurboChad - Robs old Formula
Chris - 98 Z28 570/650 stock LS1 w/918 springs and later 650/725 on built 348
Raz - 2000 SS 725/825 on built 348 w/meth
Anthony - 98 WS6 550/610 stock LS1 w/918's and later upper 600's with built 348

The last three cars I know personally very well. I'll post some video on here when I get the car up and running. Hopefully it won't be any longer than a month. I'll try and find a video with Raz and Chris in them as well.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:45 PM
IMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

align boring is usually pretty pricey, and is only really necessary if there was a problem with the block, or crank. there is no perfromance or "competition" advantage to having it done, unless somethign was previously damaged or severely worn.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

this may sound stupid, however here in the south alot of "machine shops" don't know what a deck plate is, so "competitive" hone job maybe the source of that term.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

not to be an ***, but out of those five only two were really good HP numbers, abouve 650ish. And both of those were robs car. Basically proving what everyone had already said.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Launching!

I can't stand Rob, that aside, I've seen the kit do what it's good at and thats make 650+ rwhp on stock ci cars many times in person. Here's a video of Raz's car (725 on pump gas + meth), most of you have probably already seen it, I posted this on tech a few months ago. SStolen's car will be installed and tuned by the same shop that did Raz's setup.

Click Here (this is a YSI link, so I don't know how long it's gonna last, but feel free to pm me for another link)

Quick Reply: What machine work did you have done to your FI Motor?