Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil cooling a water cooled turbo. Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooling a water cooled turbo. Will it work?

I'm turboing my Honda 400ex ATV and have a water cooled turbo for it. Since this ATV is air cooled, I obviously have no water to cool it. Right now I am planning on doing an independent oil system (not connected to the motor). It will have a small oil tank, a small scavenge pump and an oil cooler possibly with a fan on it to cool the oil down. I want to run the oil through the oiling and water holes on the turbo, send it through the cooler, to the tank and then back around again. How does oil cool compared to water? Will this work? I could also do and independent water cooling system and run oil from the engine to the turbo, that would work also, but would be more work. Opinions?
Old 06-12-2005, 01:32 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will work, but don't forget that the oil might coak up the passages where water would just burn off as steam. I have never done anything like that I just know that it should work probably not as good though JMO. So I'm not an expert I just work with a lot of oil coolers etc... Good luck.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just cap the water lines since you won't get any real cooling from running oil in the lines.

Gary
Old 06-12-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, as long as you shutdown properly (ie. idle it after you've beat on it) you don't need water cooling at all. Just cap the lines.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Relativelyfast
I'm turboing my Honda 400ex ATV and have a water cooled turbo for it. Since this ATV is air cooled, I obviously have no water to cool it. Right now I am planning on doing an independent oil system (not connected to the motor). Opinions?

It looks like you are making a custom system anyways, why not just build a water system since that is what the turbo is designed for???
Old 06-12-2005, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
It looks like you are making a custom system anyways, why not just build a water system since that is what the turbo is designed for???
Because I would have to add a whole radiator and weight is somewhat of a factor because i want to moto x a turbo ATV. It would be nice to use oil for cooling because I have to oil the turbo anyways. This would kill two birds with one stone. Since the oil cooling system is seperate from the engine, I believe that it will cool the turbo some. I think I'm going to go ahead and do it.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

If you were to flow oil through it, all it would do is heat the oil up, and serve little cooling purpose to the turbo core IMO.
And then what would you do with the oil that has been heated ?

Just leave it without any cooling would be safest and easiest option.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And then what would you do with the oil that has been heated ?
Thats what the oil cooler is for...
Old 06-14-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just run the cartridge dry and cap the water holes. The water is not needed. Most factory turbo cars use a wet CHRA due to people not properly maintaining their vehicles. The water helps revent oil coking when people shut dow the car right after boosting it. Just let the motor idle for 30 sec to 1 min after riding and it will be fine.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Relativelyfast
Thats what the oil cooler is for...
The oil cooler is probably sized to keep the oil cool on a n/a engine.

Do you think its big enough to keep the oil cool after is is asked to cope with a turbocharged engine too ?
Is it worth the risk of overheating the oil due to inadequate oil cooling, and probably destroying both engine and turbo in the process ?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The oil cooler is probably sized to keep the oil cool on a n/a engine.

Do you think its big enough to keep the oil cool after is is asked to cope with a turbocharged engine too ?
Is it worth the risk of overheating the oil due to inadequate oil cooling, and probably destroying both engine and turbo in the process ?

umm, as a total outsider whos only here because of a search, let me chime in.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT HES DOING?

1. the oil cooler is obviously big enough... because its on a ATV, possibly with a fan... i dont know about you, but id imagine any turbo going on a ATV would be small. and i havent seen a oil cooler small enough to be inadequate for that.

2. the oil isnt even touching the motor. he says that above. (go re-read it)

i think its overkill, but its also not going to hurt much of anything.... worse case, the oil cokes up the water cooling area some...
just be sure the pump can handle the volume of oil needed for both the turbo bearing and the cooling...
Old 06-14-2005, 04:08 PM
9 Second Club

ok...perhaps I didnt read it all...

Put it another way then. Oil is a crap cooling agent. Better than air yes, but crap compared to water.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The engine doesnt have a oil cooler stock. I believe he is adding all this to cool/lubricate teh turbo. I definatly think that a using the oil to cool it is a good idea. But dont run the oil through wher ethe water runs. Just have the oil that lubricates it cool it also. The oil will cook and make a big gunky mess if ya run it through wher eteh water gioes. Most cars dont have oil coolers for the turbo bu the do use the same oil for the turbo as teh engine. So the engine is cooling the turbo oil down a little to help out. If you run a totally self contained system with no cooling and it only lubricates teh turbo ya will have problems. Turbos get way hotter then 99% of the rest of the engine. GL man.

John

Last edited by 99SS-T; 06-14-2005 at 04:20 PM. Reason: opps

Quick Reply: Oil cooling a water cooled turbo. Will it work?