Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any one done an air to water intercooler with supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

the turbotech race kit reservoir holds about 2 gallons and the intercooler itself holds about a gallon.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
my intercooler pump and intercooler radiator fan only cuts on when the engine temp is over 185 or when i switch it on manually (like to race)
there isnt any reason to run the pump all the time.. vortech may do this but you only need to run it when youre using it (and after if you have no means to cool it back down)
are you pumping water through your IC all the time then? im confused
or do you have another pump circulating water throught the heat exchanger when you hit the fan switch.

on my turbotech street kit, i would see IAT a 100* over ambient, poor placement also attributed to it.

main reason im going with an A2W now is MM testomnies of only being 20* over ambient and such with water.
mine will have a 4 or 5 gallon cell in the back and pump it through a "small" Griffen radiator and a summit fan to cool it back down before returning to the tank.
i probably dont need the fan on all the time, ill see i guess.

anyone have any ideas on what size lines to use? i was thinking 3/4" Id
Old 06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my a2w aftercooler doesn't get heat soaked at all despite what some of the comments made, it is constantly being circulated thru the radiator. In fact it keeps temps consistent and is better for driving in traffic. an air to air will be worse for street cause when you're stopped and in traffic, in the heat, etc, that's when your iat's will spike. I can put my hand on my cooler after a run or after driving it for a few no problem. If I want it even colder I can put ice in it. Call it extra insurance.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, 100* over ambient is pretty high. Where did you have the intercooler and heat exchanger placed? Were you circulating with a pump all of the time?

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
are you pumping water through your IC all the time then? im confused
or do you have another pump circulating water throught the heat exchanger when you hit the fan switch.

on my turbotech street kit, i would see IAT a 100* over ambient, poor placement also attributed to it.

main reason im going with an A2W now is MM testomnies of only being 20* over ambient and such with water.
mine will have a 4 or 5 gallon cell in the back and pump it through a "small" Griffen radiator and a summit fan to cool it back down before returning to the tank.
i probably dont need the fan on all the time, ill see i guess.

anyone have any ideas on what size lines to use? i was thinking 3/4" Id
Old 06-22-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Default pressure drop

Are you Air-Water guys seeing lower pressure drops after the intercooler than Air-Air setups?..... when saying lower pressure drops I mean before vs after the intercooler

Originally Posted by asnxps2
Also what are the pro's and cons verse a fmic air to air. I just dont like the idea of cutting up my front bumper. Also would like to know cost and how much fab work involved.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FastKat
Wow, 100* over ambient is pretty high. Where did you have the intercooler and heat exchanger placed? Were you circulating with a pump all of the time?
that was with a air to air on the turbo tech street, (no pump/water)
the A2A was placed in front of the radiator
Old 06-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FastKat
Are you Air-Water guys seeing lower pressure drops after the intercooler than Air-Air setups?..... when saying lower pressure drops I mean before vs after the intercooler
A2W should have less drop than A2A due to less core restriction and about half the length of tubing going in and out to the throttle body since it's typically mounted closer to the engine. It only takes a 10"x10"x4.5" A2W core to cool up to 870HP.

Brett
Old 06-22-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i dont let my intercooler pump run all the time, nor the intercooler radiator fan.

they only cut on when the car itself gets very hot, or when i turn the two of them on myself with a switch (moments before racing)

the water sitting in the intercooler itself works great on spur of the moment single gear passes when you forget to turn on the switch!

*edit, i believe my hose is 3/4" id"
Old 06-22-2005, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Also what are the pro's and cons verse a fmic air to air. I just dont like the idea of cutting up my front bumper. Also would like to know cost and how much fab work involved.
Currently have a Vortech system with the "aftercooler" and it works quite well. After some very hard driving and multiple runs the intake pipe between the cooler and the manifold is cool to the touch (you can hold your hand on it.) While sections of the pipe prior to the after cooler are blazing. This is my second car with air to water, seems to work fine. Air to Air on my previous car, it worked well too.

I would guess that there has to be some math involved (engineering type) to insure that you have an inter or after cooler with the capacity to serve your particular need. Also as you know you can cool the charge by combining techniques.... small shot of nitrous in charge, meth injection, Nitrous sprayers for the cooler cores. Running chilled water tank if you have air to water etc.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys. Which one would cost more?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have asked the same question many times myself with little clarity. I already have the aftercooler on my car just haven't got around to getting it working and seeing what it does on the dyno. I've had a few offers for people to buy it from me and go with a front mount instead. But before I sell it I wanted to know if it was even worth it. I do more street driving than anything and only make it out to the track every once in a while. Which do you thionk is better for me?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys. Which one would cost more?
an A2A is definatly cheaper and easier to set up.
A2W is better just more expenzive, more complex, and probably weighes more.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

My experience is comparing the Vortech aftercooler with a FMIC (A-A). Like a dummy I did hot lap and blow the original motor (I'm not sure if Vortech warns you about this or not, but if not they should). After going with the T-trim I was seeing 170 IAT's at the track (ice water) and having to do the icedown routine between runs (my kids did like putting ice cubes in the reservoir). I went with the OBX FMIC and now see 120-130 during a run. The IC cools down immediately and is ready to go again and nothing to do between runs. So I'm quite happy with the FMIC over the Vortech aftercooler (nothing but positive results). RMCR (the guys that sell the T-trim conversion kit) said that they modify the aftercooler system with a bigger water pump + they were looking at cutting off the intake neck and welding on a bigger inlet. I didn't weigh things but I feel I lost some weight considering the reservoir, pump, heat exchager, heavy aftercooler. MightyMouse's system looks way more serious than the Vortech and it looks to work quite well (How much?). What about if you were street racing (or playing cat/mouse) and the guy wanted to go again or a third time. I would start to worry about hot water unless I had a gauge on it to monitor it.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
My experience is comparing the Vortech aftercooler with a FMIC (A-A). Like a dummy I did hot lap and blow the original motor (I'm not sure if Vortech warns you about this or not, but if not they should). After going with the T-trim I was seeing 170 IAT's at the track (ice water) and having to do the icedown routine between runs (my kids did like putting ice cubes in the reservoir). I went with the OBX FMIC and now see 120-130 during a run. The IC cools down immediately and is ready to go again and nothing to do between runs. So I'm quite happy with the FMIC over the Vortech aftercooler (nothing but positive results). RMCR (the guys that sell the T-trim conversion kit) said that they modify the aftercooler system with a bigger water pump + they were looking at cutting off the intake neck and welding on a bigger inlet. I didn't weigh things but I feel I lost some weight considering the reservoir, pump, heat exchager, heavy aftercooler. MightyMouse's system looks way more serious than the Vortech and it looks to work quite well (How much?). What about if you were street racing (or playing cat/mouse) and the guy wanted to go again or a third time. I would start to worry about hot water unless I had a gauge on it to monitor it.
What siz intercooler do you have and where can I buy one?
Old 06-23-2005, 08:19 AM
10 Second Club

The G trim aftercooler isn't rated to cool the charge of the T trim.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Default A2W placement

After looking at this thread, I am wondering if the placement of the A2W intercooler might be a big factor as well? I know the Vortec aftercoolers go right next to/on top of the engine.

Where's a good place to put it? Where is a bad place to put it?

Old 06-23-2005, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

What siz intercooler do you have and where can I buy one?
I have the OBX 3". They now sell a 4" which I would get over the 3". I did retain my fog lights though and had to bring them out of the holes where they sit so the 4" would push them out even further, I don't know if it would be a problem.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I think A2W would cost more.... But for a max effort race car, that's the way to go.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

John you seem to be pretty up on this stuff. For someone like me that likes to take my car out to shows and on weekends and then the occasional track trip do you think the front mount would be better for me over my aftercooler?
Old 06-23-2005, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

an intercooler definitley has the bling factor for shows.

Quick Reply: Any one done an air to water intercooler with supercharger?