Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any one done an air to water intercooler with supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one done an air to water intercooler with supercharger?

Also what are the pro's and cons verse a fmic air to air. I just dont like the idea of cutting up my front bumper. Also would like to know cost and how much fab work involved.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im not huge into supers but i know one of the manufacturers makes a air to water intercooler. They call it a aftercooler. It has a water radiator up[ front of the car to get rid of the heat. Water to air intercoolers are alot better suited to track duty. You can dump ice water in right before a race and be set to go. On the street they are ok at cooling but the big effects of the cold melt fast. Air to air is alot better for the street warrior as it is cooling as you move. Sitting it can get heat soaked which is bad but ya shouldnt be isttin around wit hit runnin neway. GL man

John
Old 06-21-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

ronnie duke does, but IMHO it isnt worth it.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

I wasnt thinking of something that crazy. I know the TTI race kits use an air to water I was thinking something like that.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:23 AM
Launching!

Done one for a Whipple truck and working on another for a stock manifold truck. Can be a little easier to package because the aftercooler itself doesn't need to be as big. Just allot more parts to deal with. You can see the truck I did on my site.

Brett
Old 06-21-2005, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Street Car or Race Car? If it is a street car I would use an Air to Air, if it is a Race car air to Water. In a street car the air to water will get heat soaked after a while, to give you an Idea a race car uses about 12 lbs of ice on one pass.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BTL FED
Street Car or Race Car? If it is a street car I would use an Air to Air, if it is a Race car air to Water. In a street car the air to water will get heat soaked after a while, to give you an Idea a race car uses about 12 lbs of ice on one pass.
On street applications you use a heat exchanger to cool the water flowing through the aftercooler unlike RACE setups. Water is and always will be more efficient at cooling than ambient air blowing over heated air. Only draw back is weight over air to air.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

A2W can work better cuz folks can fill the cell up with ice.

I wonder how much heat increase Mightymouse sees after a pass... is his water boiling? I recall him saying he just used tap water.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

works fine.. i would like to hear from people that have actually used air to water on the street before discounting it.

vortech has a nice aftercooler kit too that they sell as an upgrade for their supercharger systems.

george at turbotech can get you lined up with the same components i have so you have the correct everything without blocking the radiator or cutting the bumper. I have never picked up more than 20* over ambient air temps...without methanol.. with methanol i see half that.. with ice water i see iat's in the low 50's.

if you are hell bent on hot-lapping the car and are too lazy to drain and refill the reservor with free water.. then its not right for you.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

I talked to george about the intercooler setup and I thought it was a bit pricy personally.

of course I was comparing prices with A2A and he was telling me about all the components.
Id call him personally
Old 06-21-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default hot spots?

I've heard something about hot spots too? Perhaps when water runs through the IC, is not sufficiently cooled by the radiators, and then run through the intercooler again... any thoughts? I guess a water tank would reduce this...

The design of my project leaves me little room to hide an air-air intercooler with adequate airflow for cooling so I was giving some thought to air-water units. One thing that might sound a little rediculous is that I would strongly prefer a pump run off the belt rather than an electric motor. Is there anything like that available or that I can (realistically) fabricate?

Originally Posted by asnxps2
Also what are the pro's and cons verse a fmic air to air. I just dont like the idea of cutting up my front bumper. Also would like to know cost and how much fab work involved.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Default coolant...

One other thought... if you were going to run it year-round you would need to add antifreeze to you water which has poorer cooling qualities than water itself.

Originally Posted by asnxps2
Old 06-21-2005, 03:44 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastKat
I've heard something about hot spots too? Perhaps when water runs through the IC, is not sufficiently cooled by the radiators, and then run through the intercooler again... any thoughts? I guess a water tank would reduce this...

The design of my project leaves me little room to hide an air-air intercooler with adequate airflow for cooling so I was giving some thought to air-water units. One thing that might sound a little rediculous is that I would strongly prefer a pump run off the belt rather than an electric motor. Is there anything like that available or that I can (realistically) fabricate?
You could run a pump off the driveshaft (nascar differential circulating pump comes to mind) but when the car isnt moving things get hot. Pretty much like an a2a but if you could size everything well enough to cool it back down once underway it would work I guess.

I looked into the Precision A2W that TTi uses, its a nice unit but the whole system is pretty pricy by the time you buy everything.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

yes i advise running a mix of water and antifreeze during the winter.

my intercooler pump and intercooler radiator fan only cuts on when the engine temp is over 185 or when i switch it on manually (like to race)

there isnt any reason to run the pump all the time.. vortech may do this but you only need to run it when youre using it (and after if you have no means to cool it back down)
Old 06-21-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My truck has a air to water intercooler, I drive it everyday. I use a mix of water and anti-freeze. I have another truck with air to air. On the powertour with both trucks covering the same ground the inlet air temps on the highway are close to the same, with the air to air running slightly cooler(about 5-7 degrees f). If we both stand on the throttle from a roll, my truck is faster and keeps the inlet air more stable. Mine will gain 20 degree's on a 1/4 run, the other truck will gain 30 degree's. My truck is making about 200hp more at the wheels, so in turn makes more heat. Once both trucks shut down at the end of the 1/4 the air to air cools faster than my air to water, although they equalize within minutes.
I did the air to water for its hp ability verses size. I don't use ice in mine, just a small heat exchanger(3/4 thick-6 inches high- 18 inches wide). I use a electric pump that runs with the key on.
They both have there good points.
If your shopping price, or your car has unlimited front mounting area the air to air is for you.
If you want remote mounting with high hp ability then air to water is the choice.

Kurt
Old 06-21-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome info, thanks... do you also run a water resevoir along with your cooler? If so, how big?

Originally Posted by 427
My truck has a air to water intercooler, I drive it everyday. I use a mix of water and anti-freeze. I have another truck with air to air. On the powertour with both trucks covering the same ground the inlet air temps on the highway are close to the same, with the air to air running slightly cooler(about 5-7 degrees f). If we both stand on the throttle from a roll, my truck is faster and keeps the inlet air more stable. Mine will gain 20 degree's on a 1/4 run, the other truck will gain 30 degree's. My truck is making about 200hp more at the wheels, so in turn makes more heat. Once both trucks shut down at the end of the 1/4 the air to air cools faster than my air to water, although they equalize within minutes.
I did the air to water for its hp ability verses size. I don't use ice in mine, just a small heat exchanger(3/4 thick-6 inches high- 18 inches wide). I use a electric pump that runs with the key on.
If your shopping price, or your car has unlimited front mounting area the air to air is for you.
If you want remote mounting with high hp ability then air to water is the choice.

Kurt
Old 06-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 427

Kurt
Kurt, your heat exchanger is pretty small for your application. I'm guessing you're using a big tranny cooler? You might want to step up to a twin core/radiator type and go bigger. I don't know what climate you live in either but unless you have a big storage tank (1.5+ gallons) I don't think the heat exchanger you're using is sufficient. Just my .02 though. Guess it's doing the job but maybe could do better?

Brett
Old 06-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Launching!

You can always run two pump in series if you're worried about one going out. You can also run a temp gauge to the heat exchanger to watch for pump failure.

Brett
Old 06-21-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

The container holds about 2 quarts directly above the feed pump.

Kurt
Originally Posted by FastKat
Awesome info, thanks... do you also run a water resevoir along with your cooler? If so, how big?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I am using a Garrett heat exchanger for a intercooler. It is a reasonably small unit, but seems to do a decent job.

Kurt
Originally Posted by METAL MAN
Kurt, your heat exchanger is pretty small for your application. I'm guessing you're using a big tranny cooler? You might want to step up to a twin core/radiator type and go bigger. I don't know what climate you live in either but unless you have a big storage tank (1.5+ gallons) I don't think the heat exchanger you're using is sufficient. Just my .02 though. Guess it's doing the job but maybe could do better?

Brett

Quick Reply: Any one done an air to water intercooler with supercharger?