Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supra vs. Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOSTIN86
thats why a 650hp v8 will womp the sh*t out of a supra with a 1,000 ponies.
Torque is overrated when you have gearing to compensate for it

650 HP turbo small block in a 2800 pound car running a glide and 31x14 slicks vs. a stock IRS 6-speed supra running a 26x11.5 ET street, sure. Given equal conditions, no. T400 swaps into supras are becoming more and more common place, and 700 RWHP plus a T400 with some sticky tires is 9's without really leaning on it.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=eviltwins]Torque is overrated when you have gearing to compensate for it

You are right on that, the only thing i am saying is that out of the many supras that ive delt with there not as imressive on the street as there dyno clams them to be, ive raced a 650whp supra agianst my old talon and it was a callenge but i beat him by a good two cars. Dont get me wrong im not bashing the cars. Just simply put, they can be considered dyno queens to some of there setups.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOOSTIN86

ive raced a 650whp supra agianst my old talon and it was a callenge but i beat him by a good two cars. Dont get me wrong im not bashing the cars. Just simply put, they can be considered dyno queens to some of there setups.
Please remember, not everybody who wields a dynosheet can back that up day-to-day. There are so many factors:

Did the driver suck?
Did he fall out of tune?
Motor hurt?
Was he running you at the same boost level he dyno'd at?
Was he pimpin' 19's when you stumbled across him?
Blah-blah-bah-blah

Yeah, excuses suck, a win is a win but you can't draw a broad generalization based on one encounter.

Ryan
Old 06-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=ryan23]Please remember, not everybody who wields a dynosheet can back that up day-to-day.

This is true, im just gonna not talk now, i just gave my opion
Old 06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
*Suspended Sponsor*

Originally Posted by Race-Prep
That's exactly what I was getting ready to say. These 4-6cyl cars CAN make the power but the area under the curve just is not there, your AVERAGE POWER is what makes a car fast in the 1/4 not PEAK POWER. You show me a 1500WHP Supra, and I will show you an 800WHP F-body that with equal traction will most likey slaughter the Supra! If you could put together a driveline that could keep the Supra at the 9000rpm it would take to make that much power, you could have a very fast car but the fact is, you really can't do it with any kind of efficiency.

-Bryan

I have a 1500 RWHP Supra. 1520 RWHP to be exact. When do you want me to race the 800RWHP F-Body?

Last edited by Hi-Flow Turbo Inc.; 06-27-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

hm,
Id like to see the two cars line up, what does your 1520rwhp supra run in the 1/4??

there are some fast ones, but the 'supra' drive line is removed. running th400/glide, and a 9" etc
Old 06-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Teching In

I have a 1500 RWHP Supra. 1520 RWHP to be exact.

Danm dont see one of those every day
Ive been
Old 06-27-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69firebird
hm,
Id like to see the two cars line up, what does your 1520rwhp supra run in the 1/4??

there are some fast ones, but the 'supra' drive line is removed. running th400/glide, and a 9" etc
He's running a T400 or a glide, forgot which. I think he's still on the stock IRS.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:16 PM
*Suspended Sponsor*

Originally Posted by 69firebird
hm,

I am still on the stock IRS with stock axles and stock (60k miles)suspension.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:21 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hi-Flow Turbo Inc.
I have a 1500 RWHP Supra. 1520 RWHP to be exact. When do you want me to race the 800RWHP F-Body?
Hey Marco!
We will do this race just to show the f-body world that NOT ALL SUPRA's
are Dyno queens But I am not putting any money on it I would hate to have to pay to be embarrassed
Old 06-27-2005, 07:41 PM
*Suspended Sponsor*

Originally Posted by Z8'S
Hey Marco!
We will do this race just to show the f-body world that NOT ALL SUPRA's
are Dyno queens But I am not putting any money on it I would hate to have to pay to be embarrassed

Hi Chris
Old 06-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Suspended Sponsor

I would put money on the fact that if both vehicles had equal traction, they would not be that far off each other, in fact I would bet if the F-body was able to put the torque down well, he might just give you a slight run for your money, an 800WHP/2800lbs-ish F-car is no slouch, but I do realize the car of which you are speaking is a RACE car, if I was to build a RACE car from a F-body, I could easily be in the 1400WHP area, (possibly even on 93octane with meth) as I have built 2000+WHP Pro-Street Cars. I will however give credit where credit is due, that is one hell of an accomplishment...but really, how much of a street car is it? Could you drive to say, the other side of the country and back? Because I would guarantee that the F-car could, and it could do it making a-lot more than 800whp, and on pump gas to boot! (mabe with a little meth. under boost though)

Thanks for the great conversation!!
-Bryan

Last edited by Race-Prep; 06-27-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

I would put money on the fact that if both vehicles had equal traction, they would not be that far off each other, in fact I would bet if the F-body was able to put the torque down well, he might just give you a slight run for your money, an 800WHP/2800lbs-ish F-car is no slouch, but I do realize the car of which you are speaking is a RACE car, if I was to build a RACE car from a F-body, I could easily be in the 1400WHP area, (possibly even on 93octane with meth) as I have built 2000+WHP Pro-Street Cars. I will however give credit where credit is due, that is one hell of an accomplishment...but really, how much of a street car is it? Could you drive to say, the other side of the country and back? Because I would guarantee that the F-car could, and it could do it making a-lot more than 800whp, and on pump gas to boot! (mabe with a little meth. under boost though)

-Bryan
I guess it depends on your definition of a RACECAR. It's not back halved but it obviously has a cage. I walked by the car in Texas and didn't even give it a second glance the first time. Just a "plain" ole white Supra. But I don't need to stick up for Marko, he is obviously more than capable himself.

How about some takers for the Supra gathering at Texas in 2006? Unfortunately, that Twin T66 Vette wasn't that impressive this year. I'm thinking about trailering my LS1-RX7 down there to stir up some ****.

Ryan
Old 06-27-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

1520 RWHP @ 59 psi
holy ******* ****

Last edited by LSONE; 06-27-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sounds like TX2K6 needs to be more then just the Supra vs Viper shootout
Old 06-28-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSONE
holy ******* ****
uh huh....
Old 06-28-2005, 01:56 AM
*Suspended Sponsor*

-Bryan
I know it's hard to believe but my car is driven over 5000 miles per year. It's easy to do when the motor maybe makes 200 HP when not in boost. The car was at the AEM booth on display at the PRI show in Indianapolis. It was driven there and back to Chicago. It was snowing on the way back. I don't know how much more of a street car it can be. Full factory options, 3600 lb race weight with lightweight wheels. I run consistant mid 8's at the 1100-1200 RWHP level. I tried making a few passes at the 1350 rwhp level and could not make a complete pass. It got very dangerous and I didn't feel like fighting a 3600 lb sled at 140 mph. It ran 5.36@141 in the 1/8th mile with a 1.49 60' and coasted to an 8.52@114. I do not own a trailer, so if that's any indication of what a streetcar it is. If a 2800lb 800 RWHP F body can run better than an 8.50, then he has a good chance of winning. But now I have my suspension set up and might be able to run my 1500 RWHP down the track. Either way, I love all fast cars, especially the ones that pull off trailers to race me and then lose!!!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok your the top dog, er excuse me, "dawg" in the supra world.
it would be more fair to race one of our top dogs, like steve turley. his car makes about 1500hp too. They can run round after round, and its a "street car" too
props to you though for driving it and all on the street

ah the fun of bench racing. espescially somebody elses car

the fact is their 1500hp can put them down the track faster then your 1500, cause were talking about power under the curve. true your car is wickedly fast, cant take anything away from your car, not to bad for a straight 6, but big cubes just rule. anything you can do to a small cubed motor you cna do to a big cubed motor.

we know a few supras can back up their dynos, but alot more cant.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Suspended Sponsor

I know it's hard to believe but my car is driven over 5000 miles per year. It's easy to do when the motor maybe makes 200 HP when not in boost. The car was at the AEM booth on display at the PRI show in Indianapolis. It was driven there and back to Chicago. It was snowing on the way back. I don't know how much more of a street car it can be. Full factory options, 3600 lb race weight with lightweight wheels. I run consistant mid 8's at the 1100-1200 RWHP level. I tried making a few passes at the 1350 rwhp level and could not make a complete pass. It got very dangerous and I didn't feel like fighting a 3600 lb sled at 140 mph. It ran 5.36@141 in the 1/8th mile with a 1.49 60' and coasted to an 8.52@114. I do not own a trailer, so if that's any indication of what a streetcar it is. If a 2800lb 800 RWHP F body can run better than an 8.50, then he has a good chance of winning. But now I have my suspension set up and might be able to run my 1500 RWHP down the track. Either way, I love all fast cars, especially the ones that pull off trailers to race me and then lose!!!
Very Impressive, I have to admit until now I have never seen ANY Impressive Supras out there I have actually seen your car, I was at the PRI show and did see the car, looks impressive but you know how MOST of them look impressive and can't deliver. I must say I have seen a few 1000WHP Supras and they were street/race cars, one was a PSCA racer and I just did not see anything better than 10.00's and that to me is a waste with 1000WHP when our vehicles as an example will run that time with 600WHP if set up properly!
Again, I will give credit where credit is due, you have one bad *** ride! I will however, keep you in mind for my personal car, should see over 1000WHP on pump gas DAILY driven very soon! LOL!

-Bryan
Old 06-28-2005, 11:10 AM
*Suspended Sponsor*

Very Impressive, I have to admit until now I have never seen ANY Impressive Supras out there I have actually seen your car, I was at the PRI show and did see the car, looks impressive but you know how MOST of them look impressive and can't deliver. I must say I have seen a few 1000WHP Supras and they were street/race cars, one was a PSCA racer and I just did not see anything better than 10.00's and that to me is a waste with 1000WHP when our vehicles as an example will run that time with 600WHP if set up properly!
Again, I will give credit where credit is due, you have one bad *** ride! I will however, keep you in mind for my personal car, should see over 1000WHP on pump gas DAILY driven very soon! LOL!

-Bryan

Thanks!! I know what you mean about Supra's. I see more Supra's than you do that don't quite deliver outside of the dyno. I guess I have a slight advantage growing up in the same neighborhood and hanging out with the NMCA Super Street legends of past decade even before they were famous, Spiro Pappas, Nick Scavo, Chuck Samuel. I've learned about drag racing from the best and at a somewhat young age, back then I was in my early 20's. (Damn I'm old, where's ProStockJohn? Talking to him makes me feel young again...lol)It's not all about making power, it's who get's to the end first!!

Quick Reply: Supra vs. Camaro?