Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just some info on testing with Nitromethane injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 08:06 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brains
Color me ignorant, but don't the very high mix nitro cars run on the brink of hydrolocking the cylinders? Not to mention, if nitro wasn't a fuel itself, you'd lose power as the mix got higher past where the original fuel has reached a 100% burn/expansion.

Basically, from a chemestry standpoint, you're right brains. Take away the carbon and the hydrogen in the string, and you're left with just air and nitrogen again. You have to add in that fuel in order to get the oxidizer to work.

Something that no one has asked or answered yet is this: Does Nitromethane evaporate better in an "atomized" application than does meth or alchohal or when mixed with said fuels, does it change their burn enough to make the gains that Jose is indicating? My off hand guess would be no, not really because of what we just stated above. But this is a topic that I'd never thought I'd be discussing in my hot roding life. NITRO HEADS, please help!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Steve thats why I think their maybe some confusion here. The car is/was already tuned for pump gas and meth injection (ala snow kit). So the introduction of nitro as and will lean the car out. As for the % this is where the fudge factor could be. We did not mix it ourselves, so this is what could potentially be the (fudge factor per say). I have asked the owner to pull all the contents out and start with a new mix of meth and Nitro to indeed make sure this was mixed properly. This is the one reason why I would rather perform the test myself on my own vehicle. When introducing others into the equation their is always a margin of possible error where something is not done correctly. I have been on the phone for the past 45 mins talking to a buddy of mine that did nitro drag bikes in the 90's. He seems to think the % is off and they either mixed it improperly or didn't measure at all the %'s. He asked me to dump it and start over, which I agreed. So we will again start from sratch.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jose, well that sounds great. I have a feeling the so called 2% mix was quite a bit stronger. Also could you post the nozzle size used in the methanol kit? I have built a lot of these systems from scratch and my guess is that it is a 15gph, but it's pretty important to know for sure the size and the pressure at which the nozzle is flowing.
I think this is a good thread subject. You just don't see a lot of talk about nitromethane, right or wrong. But with so many guys running alcohol systems now ,it's a natural step up the hotrod ladder for the mad scientist types like myself to pour a little in the tank.

Steve
Old 07-08-2005, 08:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Steve, we are running a dual nozzle setup. Using 2-625ml/min nozzles, which is roughly about 20 gal/hr if my math is correct on conversion. Also the pump is 220psi, so the system should roughly be able to support 1000rwhp....maybe a little more.. For my own system I am thinking of doing a dual pump setup with individual tanks and using the nozzles to control the mix...not sure how that will work. I don't like having to worry about the fuels being mixed correctly and if I can just easily refill either container at the track it would make life easier. We'll see how that works later.

Jose
Old 07-08-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE[/QUOTE]

LOL. I know we are talking smaller amounts of nitromethane, and hopefully no one gets carried away and breaks stuff from all this "nitro" talk, and what they see or hear, , but I thought this was interesting .................................................. ................................. http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0202tur_extremeedge/

I am not really into four cylinder engines, but I respect speed. Even though it's a big 4 cyl, I still have never seen an engine that small make so much power or "potential" power.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a car that runs and is not lean, and all you do is add nitro, it will not go lean unless you subtract some of the base fuel. It probably would be very hard to get the tune right as you would change the burn speed (slower)as the % increased.
Also when using af meters to tune gas burning cars, as soon as you add any fuel other than gasoline(like meth or nitro) the af readings will sku and are worthless.
I have never used nitro in a gas burning engine, but the thought is cool!

Kurt
Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
Nitro is an oxidizer, not just a fuel my friend. Pump gas and Nitro are 2 different things. By your theory I can just run straight Nitro in the tank....it will never gone lean since its slow burning right....hehe

Jose
Old 07-09-2005, 12:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

RPM, thats a dang cool 4 banger. The last 4 cylinders that impressed me was Keke rosberg, Gilles Villeneuve, Alain Prost, Senna...etc in the 80's when Formula 1 was turbocharged and you actually had to be a great driver...lol. In qualifying trim their 1.5 liter 4's were putting out over 1400hp and in race trim over 1250hp. I have an old video of Keke Rosberg's car coming out of an Apex and you can literally see the cars picking the front tires up. Those cars ran on VERY exotic fuels....I believe it was a blend of toulene, n-heptane and some traces of methanol and benzene, or something crazy.

Kurt, we are planning to try this stuff on other vehicles if it works out. I would like to run this on a race car if I can ever get one done...hehe.

Jose
Old 07-11-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

This is one funny thread Just wondering how you'd richen up a engine running a 85% mix of Nitro lol

I have to call BS on the gains claimed in this thread being attributed to just 2% Nitro which as applied isn't even 2% of the total fuel consumption. I've run Nitro, Nitro Propane and Alky. My experience was that unless your over 50% Nitro its not going to do much for you. But thats from real world ET's with drag boats.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

50% Nitro, huh? Well, I guess i haven't played withj boats much, but I know that a 10% nitro load added to an alcohol motor makes a significant change. But what do I know, thats only real world E.T.'s with drag cars.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Old 07-11-2005, 07:37 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default nitro

okay you have houston's attention. Tiago whose going to try this first me or you. lol

Originally Posted by Tiago
more info please

where do you get nitro?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:39 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default ....

Jerry youve been holding out on me thats how you got that 60 more horses than me

Originally Posted by cablebandit
snow performance sells nitro to mix into your alky tank. You add 8 oz per 2 quarts of alky and supposedly get 30-50 hp with no changes. Jose hope to see the rest of your testing.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's all in fun. Anyway, I see that this thread has grown over the weekend. I see that someone has brought up the question about the purity of Nitromethane. The stuff we use usually tests out to about 108-112% pure on the hydrometer, right out of the barrel. NHRA uses VP nitro, which rarely tests out to anywhere above 96%, even for the 'pure' stuff. The nitro we run is not allowed by NHRA, not even diluted to the 85% limit. They simply don't allow it.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The one we aquired came from VP. As for 50% nitro...wow, if we ran that much, who knows what would happen. Maybe they are using a different tune out on the water then we use on the streets.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jose, if you're interested in some better nitro, for cheaper, let me know. I'll see if I can find the contact info for my fuel guy.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes most definitely..please let me know.

Jose
Old 07-11-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

The stuff we are running comes from China. ProNitro. I'll get the guy's name tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
It's all in fun. Anyway, I see that this thread has grown over the weekend. I see that someone has brought up the question about the purity of Nitromethane. The stuff we use usually tests out to about 108-112% pure on the hydrometer, right out of the barrel. NHRA uses VP nitro, which rarely tests out to anywhere above 96%, even for the 'pure' stuff. The nitro we run is not allowed by NHRA, not even diluted to the 85% limit. They simply don't allow it.
Okay, I'm feeling kinda dumb now -- how can something be OVER 100% pure??
Old 07-11-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
50% Nitro, huh? Well, I guess i haven't played withj boats much, but I know that a 10% nitro load added to an alcohol motor makes a significant change. But what do I know, thats only real world E.T.'s with drag cars.
Yep anything less wasn't worth the hassle of breaking parts and tuning. 10% in a boat is something you couldn't even tell was there.

Perhaps if you've got experiance with Nitromethane you could explain some of the dangers relating to Health issues involved in its use.

So I'll answer my own question

At 80 percent and above, the optimum air fuel ratio no longer exists and the power output becomes related to the actual amount of fuel fed into the engine by weight.

Ask yourself if running a 20% mix is worth the THREE tenths or so you'll get with it. Now thats not running 20% through a Snow Kit either. I stand by what I said less than 50% wasn't worth the hassle for me.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

A hydrometer is a device the measures the density or specific gravity of a liquid not the purity.

Nitro has a specific gravity just a bit higher than water if memory serves me. So if your getting higher readings you must have something else in the mix. Water has a value of 1.00 and Nitromethane say 1.12 so mabey thats what your talking about which would make it basically 100 percent Nitromethane.

Quick Reply: Just some info on testing with Nitromethane injection