Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just some info on testing with Nitromethane injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brains, I know what you are saying, but you have to realize how a hydrometer works. According to the scales on it, our nitro routinely tests out that pure. Ripped, which health issues are you talking about? I know I've had a little too much exposure to the fumes, and it stings like a bitch on an open wound, but what else are you talking about? I get what you are saying about the impact that nitro might have on the water. It's just not something I've played with. Just Front-Engine Blown Nitro for me.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Treat it properly gloves, Face Guard ect... Inhalation of burnt or raw vapor is dangerous, and don't get it on your skin.

R20 Harmful by inhalation
R21 Harmful in contact with skin.
R22 Harmful if swallowed.

SECTION VI – HEALTH HAZARD DATA

Route of Entry: Inhalation? Common Skin? Common Ingestion? Possible

Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic): Methanol –LD50(oral-rat) 5268 mg/kg; inhalation may be fatal; ingestion may cause blindness; Nitromethane –LD50 (ipr-mouse) 110mg/kg; chronic overexposure may cause kidney/liver damage.

Carcinogenicity: NTP? Nitromethane – Some evidence of carcinogenicity was noted in NTP tests. The effects were mammary tumors in female rats and benign tumors in mice. IARC Monographs? Nitromethane: Class 2B

OSHA Regulated? Yes

Signs and symptoms of Exposure: Irritation to skin, eyes, nose, throat: narcosis

Medical Conditions (generally aggravated by exposure): Some liver conditions (inhalation)

Emergency and First Aid Procedures: Skin – wash with soap and water; Inhalation – remove to fresh air; Eyes – flush with clear water 15 minutes. Get prompt medical attention; Ingestion – if conscious, immediately induce vomiting. Get prompt medical attention.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think just about everybody knows that nitro stinks, and that the fumes can overwhelm you. What's your point?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that same MSDS is on the side of one of the barrels sitting in my garage.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
It's all in fun. Anyway, I see that this thread has grown over the weekend. I see that someone has brought up the question about the purity of Nitromethane. The stuff we use usually tests out to about 108-112% pure on the hydrometer, right out of the barrel. NHRA uses VP nitro, which rarely tests out to anywhere above 96%, even for the 'pure' stuff. The nitro we run is not allowed by NHRA, not even diluted to the 85% limit. They simply don't allow it.
They don't allow it because VP is the official fuel of NHRA. Pronitro is Don Schumacher's company that is offering nitro at a discounted price to all IHRA Top Fuel Racers through Torco Race Fuels (Torco is the official fuel of the IHRA), and to NHRA teams for testing purposes only.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

You got it. You should see the NHRA tech guys go rabid when they find out that there is some ProNitro in the pits.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
I think just about everybody knows that nitro stinks, and that the fumes can overwhelm you. What's your point?
For those guys that are going to play around with it to be cautious.

CARCINOGENS
Chemicals that are capable of inducing cancer in humans or animals after prolonged or excessive exposure. Nitromethane is one of many well-known examples of chemicals that can cause cancer in humans.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Teching In

glad to see in the last page or 2 of this post most people are seeing a little closer to eye to eye than in the 1st 3 pages. with all the disagreeing and opposing "facts" being stated by just about everyone, someone like myself who knows nothing about running nitro in a gas burning car could really get confused.

but i still think this topic should be deleted to prevent people from gaining a bucket load of false information, and if someone so wishes to continue the conversation, say when JZ has new results to post, then the topic can be remade. but for now i think there is too much false info to just leave up. some greenhorn could wander on here, read half the posts in this topic and think he knows it all when he really only knows how to blow up a motor.

just my .02
Old 07-12-2005, 04:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ripped427
Treat it properly gloves, Face Guard ect... Inhalation of burnt or raw vapor is dangerous, and don't get it on your skin.

R20 Harmful by inhalation
R21 Harmful in contact with skin.
R22 Harmful if swallowed.

SECTION VI – HEALTH HAZARD DATA

Route of Entry: Inhalation? Common Skin? Common Ingestion? Possible

Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic): Methanol –LD50(oral-rat) 5268 mg/kg; inhalation may be fatal; ingestion may cause blindness; Nitromethane –LD50 (ipr-mouse) 110mg/kg; chronic overexposure may cause kidney/liver damage.

Carcinogenicity: NTP? Nitromethane – Some evidence of carcinogenicity was noted in NTP tests. The effects were mammary tumors in female rats and benign tumors in mice. IARC Monographs? Nitromethane: Class 2B

OSHA Regulated? Yes

Signs and symptoms of Exposure: Irritation to skin, eyes, nose, throat: narcosis

Medical Conditions (generally aggravated by exposure): Some liver conditions (inhalation)

Emergency and First Aid Procedures: Skin – wash with soap and water; Inhalation – remove to fresh air; Eyes – flush with clear water 15 minutes. Get prompt medical attention; Ingestion – if conscious, immediately induce vomiting. Get prompt medical attention.

Doesn't seem any worse than the gasoline we use everyday.

http://www.albina.com/Fuel/ChevronRUGasMSDS.htm
Old 07-12-2005, 07:40 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Ripped427
For those guys that are going to play around with it to be cautious.

CARCINOGENS
Chemicals that are capable of inducing cancer in humans or animals after prolonged or excessive exposure. Nitromethane is one of many well-known examples of chemicals that can cause cancer in humans.

Yeah, but can't prolonged exposure to gasoline and lead do the same? Point's taken of course, but obviously there are all sorts of risks involved with hot rodding.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Spin
glad to see in the last page or 2 of this post most people are seeing a little closer to eye to eye than in the 1st 3 pages. with all the disagreeing and opposing "facts" being stated by just about everyone, someone like myself who knows nothing about running nitro in a gas burning car could really get confused.

but i still think this topic should be deleted to prevent people from gaining a bucket load of false information, and if someone so wishes to continue the conversation, say when JZ has new results to post, then the topic can be remade. but for now i think there is too much false info to just leave up. some greenhorn could wander on here, read half the posts in this topic and think he knows it all when he really only knows how to blow up a motor.

just my .02

Nah, I think most know here to be very careful if doing their experimenting, and or wait for some pro results, #s, instructions and suggestions. In the interim, it's made for great conversation and we are finally getting some concrete numbers from of the guys who have actually used and tuned with the stuff. Pretty cool if you ask me
Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by SidewaysTA

Ya beat me too it.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SidewaysTA

LOL.... You have a point there
Old 08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, jose, any news on this 'explosive' topic?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Right now our customer is in the middle of a tranny swap. He was not pleased with his 6 speed to TH400 swap. He did not like the driveability on a daily basis, which I can't blame him. He is swapping to either an Lentech AOD or G-force 6spd. Either way its an expensive swap, but should make for a more pleasent daily driver. As soon as he find the setup he is happy with, we will start testing again. I have some new ideas I may try to see what happens.

Jose
Old 08-16-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear that us 6-spd'ers are gettin back one of our ranks. Ill send my car down for some testing. Beat it and break it i dont care as long as i get a night or 2 of 700 RWHP on teh stock motor. GL

John
Old 08-17-2005, 05:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

why doesnt he throw on a gearvenders OD?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it....
Old 08-17-2005, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it....
Ouch.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM

Pony, you need to give people a bit of background *not to say your wrong or dispute with you, I know squat about nitro... but I just came back from a petroleum course*, pretty much the world runs it's fuel at a standard volume at 60 degrees, your fuel expands and contracts constantly because of temperature, your 60 gallons in texas will be less in alaska. There is a chart however to figure this, it's a multiplication table I got in my last Army course, I think this website may help though: http://www.widman.biz/English/Calcul...egreesAPI.html . Be sure whatever amount of nitro meth you're gonna throw in your motor is converted to 60 degree's, and try to measure the api to make sure it will combust properly. My two centz.

Quick Reply: Just some info on testing with Nitromethane injection