Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why Not To Get STS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman
If you do not know the answer to this question... you show your ignorance.
You are making assumptions. Don't start name dropping unless you have the answers. Shall I bring up your run in with Dave? Didn't think so. There is SOOO many people I have talked to that know you personally and all admitted that you are a keyboard commando. Your all talk.

You have seen what? 3 or 4 STS's on an 8TH mile track that you work at, and now your an expert? 1 of them was known to not have a tune, the other even admitted he wasn't used to the new setup.

You still haven't replied about the GTO videos. You keep ignoring that. Ignorance (theres that word again).

If you noticed, any STS thread that was civil to begin with, when V6 jumps in it all goes to hell.

To the OP: My car is a Monster over what it was before. I didn't get a chance to dyno while I was at Nelsons, but the BUTTOMETER has a new suction setting on it now. 1st to 2nd scares the JEBUS out of me. Still need some fine tuning, and I haven't even turned on the 8psi switch yet (5.7 right now).
Whos' Dave???? What did you want me to respond with on a GTO video? A video of my own car on the track? If i posted it you wouldnt believe it...lol
Old 07-22-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys having install problems just must not be very mechanically inclined???

kit goes on pretty darn easy.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:37 PM
9 Second Club

Ok now real input here... V6 stay out please... PurEvl... your comedy is always welcome... (I had tears running)

If I get 515RWHP here in Central Texas, with a STS... what should my 1/4 look like? It will be on ET Slicks, I will have a Moser 9" and most suspension mods... good clutch... hoping for a 1.5-1.6 60' (I know its hard in an M6)... Input from the educated.. or willing to meet at the track NOW not 6 months ago only please...
Old 07-22-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CONVERTED
STS question...

is there a difference between an LS1 and LT1 set up??? I can't understand why there would be but figured I best ask... I have an LT1 under my converted front end. but I keep thinkin Lsx. but a turbo sounds like the way to get the biggest bang for my buck over an engine. swap... I'm sure at sometime as LSx's come down in price I will do an engine swap and wanted to know if I'm screwing myself by turboin my LT1?? Also those who are turboed what kind of compression are you running??
Yes, I was told that the biggest problem with my install was that STS was no longer producing kits for the LT1. The kit they sent was the pits for my LT1 and caused months of delay to retrofit to my LT1.
kk
p.s. running stock bottom end.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1.5-1.6 short time is gonna be tough. I hope you get there, but chassis and suspension must be set up to rock and roll.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:20 AM
9 Second Club

Hmmmm what do you think I will see in the 60'? I am doing everything in the suspension except Springs and shocks...
Old 07-23-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The biggest problem I am having is launching the car. I just installed a 2 step which helps, but I've only had one pass with that, and it got me a 1.9 60'. I did spin a lot, and I'm figuring with some more practice at it, I should be somewhere in the 1.6-1.7 range. But, if you dont have the 2 step it's gonna be that much harder.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Where can I get more info on a two step (Dont say search... I will do that)
Old 07-23-2005, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NYSS Guy
Make sure you treat the sock with some sort of waterproofing stuff. I got some spray stuff to treat it with. I had an issue with water getting in, but I had the sock on for a year and never even looked at that sock. When I pulled it off, I could pour water right through it. I treated it, and it will actually hold water now.

So I'm thinking that anyone that has to drive their car in the winter wouldn't want this kit then. Ever driven a car in snow? You know those big chunks of snow sludge that builds up around the wheel? Well that air filters going to look like a giant snow cone after a few minutes of driving. Then what are you going to do? Get out and kick the ice/snow off of the intake every couple of miles?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RoysTransAm
So I'm thinking that anyone that has to drive their car in the winter wouldn't want this kit then. Ever driven a car in snow? You know those big chunks of snow sludge that builds up around the wheel? Well that air filters going to look like a giant snow cone after a few minutes of driving. Then what are you going to do? Get out and kick the ice/snow off of the intake every couple of miles?
One of the STS guys posted a while ago about a filter shield from APC that will work, probably this one:

http://shop.autoi.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/2774
Old 07-23-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoysTransAm
To tell you the truth, I never really thought of snow. We don't get much snow in West Palm Beach.

I'm not really sure how that would work out, as if driving a stock Camaro in the snow isn't fun enough, I could imagine a turbo'd F-body!!
Old 07-23-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattism78
I've heard a lot of praise about this kit, I've also heard a lot of the more hardcore boost guys knock it. My situation is that I want a power-adder that's semi inexpensive, and reliable. I HAVE to keep my AC, and other ammenities. I don't have the ability to have my car down for a long period. And I'd don't have the knowledge to fab up my own kit.
I would like to shed some light on the situation for you.
If you will be using a FMIC, the ATI kit is the easiest kit you can get for FI.
1 Blower (Head Unit only) Do not get a Kit
1 J Bracket Bracket
2 pieces of plumbing
One from the blower to the IC
One from the IC to the TB
1 Crankshaft pulley
1 blowoff valve.
Done

No extra plumbing running from the front to the back of the car
Or if it is a regular turbo, no gobs of plumbing under the hood.
No Taping oil lines
No one getting under your car at night and using a saw and taking your turbo

Does the supercharger require crankshaft power to run. Yep. And....Big Deal

Just an opinion. I am sure this will **** off someone.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Ok now real input here... V6 stay out please... PurEvl... your comedy is always welcome... (I had tears running)

If I get 515RWHP here in Central Texas, with a STS... what should my 1/4 look like? It will be on ET Slicks, I will have a Moser 9" and most suspension mods... good clutch... hoping for a 1.5-1.6 60' (I know its hard in an M6)... Input from the educated.. or willing to meet at the track NOW not 6 months ago only please...
Bump... still curious to have your input...
Old 07-24-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'LL TAKE A STAB... 1.78 60FT, 11.64 @ 122 as long as shes tuned decent and you can drive.... but that small turbo may stop you.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
Yeah V6 *** should defentially go buy a 2nd gen and grow a mullet.
We should just call him Joe Dirt from now on.
Hey ! Don't make fun of us 2nd gen owners
Old 07-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Restricted User

Talking Sts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Another thing, im actually very bright...I can take the smallest of the underdogs and wax your cars *** with it...Whats your point in personal attacks...Im attacking the rear setups b/c im very educated and no what the pros and myself will run in the future of my cars setup. Thank you come again!

PROS?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Restricted User

Default Phamspeed LS1 turbo kits

are these kits any good, does anyone have a link to LS1 F-bodies that have this turbo set up on there cars.

Thinking of a STS T-67 kit because of ease of instalation and my car is a total street machine
thank you for the help
Old 07-24-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
are these kits any good, does anyone have a link to LS1 F-bodies that have this turbo set up on there cars.

Thinking of a STS T-67 kit because of ease of instalation and my car is a total street machine
thank you for the help
Search, search, and then search some more. You can probably find all your answers by just reading through the 10 pages of this thread.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattism78
Search, search, and then search some more. You can probably find all your answers by just reading through the 10 pages of this thread.
I can't believe this thread is still going. Almost seems like it should be stickied since every noob here is asking there questions in it.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

to anwser v6 bird guy....there are no sts kits in the 9s yet, but lets think..how long have people been developing the traditional front mount turbo kits? 90 years or so...when was the first sts kit made? 2 or 3 years ago i think. give it a few more years...but ti doesn't matter cause as soon as they hit the 9s...you'll be saying...oh..there aren't any in the 8s ...and so on. its the same story with FWD drag cars...when they first started racing..no once though they could make a 10sec pass.....now I think they are hitting high 7s. there are also all motor hondas...with NO NITROUS..hitting 9 second passes.

Quick Reply: Why Not To Get STS?