Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why Not To Get STS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
Not sure on the exact weight of the car but i'm pretty sure it's at least 3700 with me in it since it's basically a no compromise street car (i run 17" et streets, i consider that a small compromise).

Weak, I didn't know that trapping 25-28 MPH higher than a stock ls1 was weak? I consider that an absolutely amazing task to do on the stock motor.
There is a built 427 LS1 in town here that only traps 119 (a4 street car with small cam) and a built 408 race car (m6, big *** cam 600+ lift) that only traps 122. I trap what was it again... oh yeah 126. They are fast cars, they just run at the las vegas track which makes it very hard to compare them to sea level cars like most people on here.

You should really stay out of these threads. You have made it quite evident in several of your previous posts that you have no understanding of how turbo charged engines work and the physics behind them. Trying to explain the concept of density altitude and the effects of heat on a FI to someone such as yourself would be very hard.

Thank you and have a nice day
Another thing, im actually very bright...I can take the smallest of the underdogs and wax your cars *** with it...Whats your point in personal attacks...Im attacking the rear setups b/c im very educated and no what the pros and myself will run in the future of my cars setup. Thank you come again!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

for those people wanting to get the sts kits trust me buy them.for the money spent you will have alot of fun.the other turbo kits are good and the superchargers are too.but if wanting to go turbo sts is a vary easy route to go.Ive had mine for 9 months no problems at all .people are amazed everyday how stock it drives untill i get into it.had no problems in rain-[most fi setups put the filter low ]im a 8# around 500 to the wheels [not dyno yet] the kits have shown to put 700+ hp and with the right setup easy 10 sec car.most people that dont like sts kits have never driven one or been in one.and the looks on peoples faces when you pop the blowoff valve next to them is priceless.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:05 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by KissMySSo1
STS kit is not for you if you want to make big power. There isn't enough velocity back there to turn a big turbo. If you want a 400+HP street car for under 5k complete then go with STS. If you ever want 500+HP don't go STS. It's up to you.
I just love responses like this

I guess 594 awhp on a mustang dyno with 93 octane on a street tune is low power. And for those counting chickens, thats 15hp less than Parish ran at 16psi with a bigger turbo (gt70 a2a ic vs t76 a2w ic), with lower ambient temps, although I have stgIII heads and he doesn't. That is not my peak number (and not Jim's either), that is street tune, 9x* ambient temps, pump gas, mustang dyno... Plenty of room to split hairs, I'm sure -- he has an 80E, vs. my 65E, different dynos, etc., etc., but the point is: You can make as much power with an STS as you want (within your budget restrictions, etc.).

Sure, I have a lot of mods, but the power difference everyone "in the know" will claim exists, doesn't seem very real from my vantage.

Despite V6Bird's "education"...
Old 07-19-2005, 12:09 PM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is just a big pissing match... I hate threads like this, but somehow I always reply...
Old 07-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PurEvl
you must have missed my 700+rwhp sts kit
You must think 700rwhp is a lot.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

give me a break ya cause your car is over that right... hero. Go back to mustang land. I cant believe your a mod. I guess the 1000 i should hit easy enough is pretty lame too.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 07-28-2005 at 01:11 PM. Reason: members complaing of foul language.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

My main concern about the kit is I live in Florida. It rains A LOT in Florida. That rear intake seems a bit low to me.
IMO, this is why I'm not going to be buying this kit. It rains nearly evbvery day and thats just not a risk i'm willing to take. Either way, just go with what you think will be best for you. Obviously the STS kit CAN make good power, but you are losing some due to heat and gas velocity etc., it might be cheap but it cant get around physics.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by libertine1015
Allot of people start out wanting a mild FI setup but this is how it sometimes goes.

1 Get a power adder run 6# boost have fun
2 Turn up boost cuz car doesnt feel fast anymore or you got smoked by a juiced neon
3 Destroy ringlands, blow up stock motor
4 Build forged shortblock
5 Hey got a forged shortblock now I can run 14#
6 Built tranny, narowed rear, mini tub, Big slicks, huge FMIC, 10 pt cage

7 Hey nice racecar

Good luck staying mild! Leave yourself room to grow.
Hahahaha that is exactly what I did. Minus the cage, narrowed rear, slicks, and fmic!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KissMySSo1
STS kit is not for you if you want to make big power. There isn't enough velocity back there to turn a big turbo. If you want a 400+HP street car for under 5k complete then go with STS. If you ever want 500+HP don't go STS. It's up to you.
Better tell that to my STS then, I made 490/450 with it @ 6.5# (T76 upgrade and FMIC) on a bone stock LS1 with the exception of 918's, headers, and a power steering pulley. And this was on the stock fuel pump (upgrade hadn't come in yet). Now I'm running 8#
Old 07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

PurEvl...That was the funny comment of the day

LSONE...im in FL too so thats why i went Phamspeed instead of STS as well.

.....i think 700rwhp is quite a bit for a street car that can be a DD with no problems....maybe i should rethink making 650rwhp @10#s in my DD and build a rocket ship outta my car....nawww ill get a ford focus hatch to do that with

it comes down to preference...those who have an STS love them,for the most part,and love to defend them.IN GENERAL,its a basic kit when you see that a T67 is an "upgrade" whereas other kits start with a larger turbo.Those who have other kits dont like the STS as its a bit strange and probably not as versatile.Either way youre boosted and making good power so all should enjoy and stop arguing.....In the words of the guy in Happy Gilmore...."Ya Jackass"!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Not for nothing but i think PurEvl must have some clue as to what hes doing seeing as how he hit NA on a low CR motor what i hit on a 100shot on stock sb
Old 07-19-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker

I guess 594 awhp on a mustang dyno with 93 octane on a street tune is low power. And for those counting chickens, thats 15hp less than Parish ran at 16psi with a bigger turbo (gt70 a2a ic vs t76 a2w ic), with lower ambient temps, although I have stgIII heads and he doesn't. That is not my peak number (and not Jim's either), that is street tune, 9x* ambient temps, pump gas, mustang dyno... Plenty of room to split hairs, I'm sure -- he has an 80E, vs. my 65E, different dynos, etc., etc., but the point is: You can make as much power with an STS as you want (within your budget restrictions, etc.).

Sure, I have a lot of mods, but the power difference everyone "in the know" will claim exists, doesn't seem very real from my vantage.

My cam only setup makes over 630rwhp...
Old 07-19-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker

Where you from????? The names you mentioned sound local to me...
Old 07-19-2005, 01:09 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
My cam only setup makes over 630rwhp...

Wow. That's pretty amazing. Unbelievable, you might say.

I'd love to see the graph of that. You must really be "educated" to take a car that does what 300 rwhp, add a cam and add 330hp.

LOL So now even Parish is low hp
Old 07-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by LSONE
IMO, this is why I'm not going to be buying this kit. It rains nearly evbvery day and thats just not a risk i'm willing to take. Either way, just go with what you think will be best for you. Obviously the STS kit CAN make good power, but you are losing some due to heat and gas velocity etc., it might be cheap but it cant get around physics.
Rain isn't really an issue -- flooding is the issue If you drive through an area everday that has standing water up to your frame, then the STS kit ain't for you. Then again, neither is any low mount FI kit or ram air kit.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by CONVERTED
Where you from????? The names you mentioned sound local to me...

Orlando
Old 07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PurEvl
give me a ******* break ya cause your car is over that right...******* hero. Go back to mustang land. I cant believe your a mod. I guess the 1000 i should hit easy enough is pretty lame too.
nothing impresses him, he's the fastest. he makes 600.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

The STS turbo kits work. simple as that and anybody who says they don't are **** heads. do they work as good as a front mount?? no. but do they cost as much as a front mount?? no. are they as complicated to install as a front mount?? no. are they a good kit?? yes

Pur Evl proved you can make make big #'s with the right set up.and for the record 700+rwhp is a lot of power

the reasons you don't see the big boys with rear mount kits, is because they really don't have to worry about money,ease of installation,and engine bay space.

so if you like the kit buy one!! have fun i know i will
Old 07-19-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

You hear about all the great dyno numbers from STS, but you rarely hear track times. There is definitely a disconnect similar to what you see with Supra's.

That being said, it seems like a complete setup including a stall converter can get you some good times. Anybody have track times for a 6 psi setup on a stock car? Didn't think so.

-Geoff
Old 07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Its weak to me considering my 480rwhp stock internal setup trapped those traps..hehe The car weighed 3484 with me in it and 1/4 tank of gas...drove it to the track with AC blowing cold, tunes jamming, ET streets on and T-tops off...All with a 6 spoint mild steel cage...

Really, with 480 rwhp, because guess what my uncorrected dyno numbers were on 10 psi.... 460 rwhp. My guess is 13psi puts me right at 500 rwhp uncorrected and 560 SAE corrected.

Looks like my numbers are perfectly in line with yours in a car that heavier.

as for being bright, you sure do lack understanding and are very quick to bash something which you have no uderstanding. Guess the whole fear what we don't understand is accurate for you.

Quick Reply: Why Not To Get STS?