Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why Not To Get STS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
My cam only setup makes over 630rwhp...
..and my dad can beat up your dad. Damnit man, I did not want this to become a pissing match. If ANYONE (not just you V6 Bird) has something useful to add about the STS kit please do so. If not there's no need to inflate your post count or ego. There's always someone faster.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

By design the rear mountis less efficient. Hence no reason for a 200 MPH car to use it. BUT for a street or even a mild race application it is MORE then fine. So you will make 50 hp lass at the same psi, SO WHAT? You also saved 2k dollars. Turn up the boost adn make all the power that you want. Put a FMIC on it adn meth and you can do anythign that a front mount turbo can do, jsut a little less efficient. The only reason i did a front mount turbo is that I didnt like how all the cars that i saw that had them sounded liek they were turbo 100% of the time. Even under part throttle when theturbo it 2 feet from teh end ofthe exhaust you are bound to hear ti ALOT. I wanted to be able tostill get street races around here and if people hear a turbo before we go at it i wont get **** but trailer queens. I know they could jsut see the FMIC but at night with headlights ya really cant see **** on teh front of a car.

As far as getting water into teh intake, if you dowhat the STS guys tell you to do that aint a problem. The sock with teh water proofer on it does a great job.

For the thread starter, if you want to make around 500 HP that is EASILY attainable by the STS kit with no real trouble. IF you plan on going more then that tehn you encounter all the prbolems that everyone else encounters. Having to get a MUCH larger fuel system to eb safe, having to get forged internals causeit is only a metter of time before the engine gives up, needing a cage fro the track, needing slicks to get traction. It never ends. So if you cna keep it to 500 HP you are ok just gettin a 255 inline pump some injectors and teh kit adn have a good day. GL man and I hope that you get a FI LS1 soon as we need more. GL

John
Old 07-19-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Wow. That's pretty amazing. Unbelievable, you might say.

I'd love to see the graph of that. You must really be "educated" to take a car that does what 300 rwhp, add a cam and add 330hp.

LOL So now even Parish is low hp
THe car maade 396rwhp on the motor, with Super Victor stepped headers, 3.5" duals with X. FAST intake, w1 cam, isy springs, etc through a t400 and 31 spline 9" with a locker. Its a custom Mustang style Dry-kit pilled at 200 hp...so it made a little more then what the pills were rated for...Not my fault.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mattism78
..and my dad can beat up your dad. Damnit man, I did not want this to become a pissing match. If ANYONE (not just you V6 Bird) has something useful to add about the STS kit please do so. If not there's no need to inflate your post count or ego. There's always someone faster.
Youre right there is someone faster....My point is that ET to HP STS kits are NOT the way to go...Not effiecient...You can make all the power in the world, but with these STS kits the ETs dont match the power!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its weak to me considering my 480rwhp stock internal setup trapped those traps..hehe The car weighed 3484 with me in it and 1/4 tank of gas...drove it to the track with AC blowing cold, tunes jamming, ET streets on and T-tops off...All with a 6 spoint mild steel cage...

Only a real racer takes his car down the track with the T tops off and AC blowing.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zombie
Really, with 480 rwhp, because guess what my uncorrected dyno numbers were on 10 psi.... 460 rwhp. My guess is 13psi puts me right at 500 rwhp uncorrected and 560 SAE corrected.

Looks like my numbers are perfectly in line with yours in a car that heavier.

as for being bright, you sure do lack understanding and are very quick to bash something which you have no uderstanding. Guess the whole fear what we don't understand is accurate for you.
I understand alot...Know better to try and send exhaust to the moon and back and expect it to spool at 3k as well...Seen many of STS kitted cars first hand and watched them as I worked the starting line of my favorite 1/8 drag strip...Car makes 420rwhp and runs 8.7's....Whats wrong with that you say? I will tell you right now it was never a traction issue....The car dead hooked, bogged and stayed in vacuum til over 200 ft out. Every car ive seen like that claims they make full boost at 3K rpm but yet it doesnt show in their track times with less then stellar 2.4 60 foots...Repeated results in both 6 speed cars and Autos...
Old 07-19-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
Only a real racer takes his car down the track with the T tops off and AC blowing.
Maybe you misunderstood genius....Thats how I drove the car to the track and home...
Old 07-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by unit213
Really? I didn't know that. You're aware that there are more motors in this world than the LS1 right?

$100K huh? Right.

Ok...will do. Maybe I'll ask the Mustang guys then since there are a bunch that run over 200mph. I certainly don't recall seeing any rear mount kits on cars that make big power. The idea itself is flawed in terms of turbo placement.

I'm going to build a TT 408 C5 in the near future and it sure as hell won't be a STS kit. That's just my opinion though. If it works for you, more power to you.

Come on dude you have 10,000+ posts. Have you still not realized this is LS1TECH and not I suck mustang dick tech?

Did you not read this thread and the post made by the thread starter?
Here it is again.
"I've heard a lot of praise about this kit, I've also heard a lot of the more hardcore boost guys knock it. My situation is that I want a power-adder that's semi inexpensive, and reliable. I HAVE to keep my AC, and other ammenities. I don't have the ability to have my car down for a long period. And I'd don't have the knowledge to fab up my own kit."
He never says he wants a race car or a 25lb+ boost monster to run at the track only. The dude wants a regular daily driver to have fun in. Where did he say he wanted to trap 200+ MPH?
Your imput is useless in this thread. If someone asked the question "I want to do STS and run 8's with 1500+ HP then you might have the answer to that person's question but for now you might as well keep quite or make a post that has something to do with the Topic the rest of us on LS1TECH are on.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Banned

My cam only setup makes over 630rwhp...

So you didn't have springs and pushrods to go with that cam.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand alot...Know better to try and send exhaust to the moon and back and expect it to spool at 3k as well...Seen many of STS kitted cars first hand and watched them as I worked the starting line of my favorite 1/8 drag strip...Car makes 420rwhp and runs 8.7's....Whats wrong with that you say? I will tell you right now it was never a traction issue....The car dead hooked, bogged and stayed in vacuum til over 200 ft out. Every car ive seen like that claims they make full boost at 3K rpm but yet it doesnt show in their track times with less then stellar 2.4 60 foots...Repeated results in both 6 speed cars and Autos...

Here you go, lousy launch on nitto drag radials and me as the driver with very little skill launching the car. Complete street car, front sway bar on, stock 70k mile susp, 24 psi in the nittos, 90 degree temps, blah blah blah.

I'm #407 9 psi in 1st, 11psi in 2nd - 3rd, 13psi in 4th, i need a stronger spring.

Directions for V6 Bird....
1. print
2. put in pipe
3. smoke it
Old 07-19-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Orlando

nevermind.......
Old 07-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zombie
Here you go, lousy launch on nitto drag radials and me as the driver with very little skill launching the car. Complete street car, front sway bar on, stock 70k mile susp, 24 psi in the nittos, 90 degree temps, blah blah blah.

I'm #407 9 psi in 1st, 11psi in 2nd - 3rd, 13psi in 4th, i need a stronger spring.

Directions for V6 Bird....
1. print
2. put in pipe
3. smoke it

Now please do us all a favor and cut your fingers off so we dont have to watch you post BS anymore.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSONE
IMO, this is why I'm not going to be buying this kit. It rains nearly evbvery day and thats just not a risk i'm willing to take. Either way, just go with what you think will be best for you. Obviously the STS kit CAN make good power, but you are losing some due to heat and gas velocity etc., it might be cheap but it cant get around physics.

anyone try to extend the piping for the filter? maybe build a box and hang it around the filter, with a front tray that houses a flat air filter in the box? then small drain holes in the bottom of the box for water to leak out, the extra big box and first flat filter should make the cone filter on for the STS never suck up much water.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:15 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

THe car maade 396rwhp on the motor, with Super Victor stepped headers, 3.5" duals with X. FAST intake, w1 cam, isy springs, etc through a t400 and 31 spline 9" with a locker. Its a custom Mustang style Dry-kit pilled at 200 hp...so it made a little more then what the pills were rated for...Not my fault.

So what you're saying is "cam only" means:

cam,
headers,
complete exhaust,
custom tranny,
9" locker,
oh and POWER ADDER.

Oh in that case, I made close to your times "cam-only" too.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

v6 you havent ever proven you car does anything...and theres two sts gtos going mid 10's at 4k race weight(vids of them doing it). What have you done? How fast have you gone? Oh ya thats right you talk alot but havent done ****. Dont bother responding without a video.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Your obviously pissing people off.. I personally don't care as i'm a noob and i'm obtaining some valued info through this thread...

but

I could have ate a can of alphabets and **** out a bettter post.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

:rofl: alphabet soup jesus im usually the funny one but that got me good
Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CONVERTED
Yup, that one is saved in memory for later use LOL
Old 07-19-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
So you didn't have springs and pushrods to go with that cam.
NO...Not at alll!!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CONVERTED
Your obviously pissing people off.. I personally don't care as i'm a noob and i'm obtaining some valued info through this thread...

but

LOLOLOL
Quote of the day, and I agree 100%.

Quick Reply: Why Not To Get STS?