Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why Not To Get STS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, I think I like your post more and more everyday!!! You do a great job of keeping me laughing.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STS question...

is there a difference between an LS1 and LT1 set up??? I can't understand why there would be but figured I best ask... I have an LT1 under my converted front end. but I keep thinkin Lsx. but a turbo sounds like the way to get the biggest bang for my buck over an engine. swap... I'm sure at sometime as LSx's come down in price I will do an engine swap and wanted to know if I'm screwing myself by turboin my LT1?? Also those who are turboed what kind of compression are you running??
Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8.5:1 on the s-10
Old 07-20-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

how much boost could I easly run with a good tune on a stock internals.

Then how much boost could I run on a camd block with stock internals..

Also what suggested cam would one suggest...
Old 07-20-2005, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

just because you get a cam doesnt mean you can run more boost.itll just mean you make more hp at a given psi.Unless you do a low LSA to help bleed off pressure.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ddnspider
just because you get a cam doesnt mean you can run more boost.itll just mean you make more hp at a given psi.Unless you do a low LSA to help bleed off pressure.
Right i'm wanting to lower compression... so that I might run more boost.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

so why post asking how much boost you could run on a cammed block compared to a stock block?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
I agree with most of everything you've stated but this is not my buddy and my understanding it was the baseline STS kit with no upgrades. The guy is REP for STS here in town. To add twist to the story though, I was cruising the streets on the way to the track and ran into the TRTURBO guy on the freeway and guess what was no longer on the car?????? This was about 1.5 months ago. I barked at him but got no play in return. I understand the physics for turbo setups and its a huge reason along with first hand sight and experience WHY i will not build or buy a rear turbo setup. Thanks for the words.
If you do not know the answer to this question... you show your ignorance.
You are making assumptions. Don't start name dropping unless you have the answers. Shall I bring up your run in with Dave? Didn't think so. There is SOOO many people I have talked to that know you personally and all admitted that you are a keyboard commando. Your all talk.

You have seen what? 3 or 4 STS's on an 8TH mile track that you work at, and now your an expert? 1 of them was known to not have a tune, the other even admitted he wasn't used to the new setup.

You still haven't replied about the GTO videos. You keep ignoring that. Ignorance (theres that word again).

If you noticed, any STS thread that was civil to begin with, when V6 jumps in it all goes to hell.

To the OP: My car is a Monster over what it was before. I didn't get a chance to dyno while I was at Nelsons, but the BUTTOMETER has a new suction setting on it now. 1st to 2nd scares the JEBUS out of me. Still need some fine tuning, and I haven't even turned on the 8psi switch yet (5.7 right now).
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah V6 *** should defentially go buy a 2nd gen and grow a mullet.
We should just call him Joe Dirt from now on.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zombie
buschman, i love the sound of the procharger. We have 2 procharged LT1's here in vegas and one procharged ls1.

Whats weird is neither one of the procharged lt1's have ever trapped even 110 mph, they are running the p600 though. The highest i've seen is a 109. I'm pretty sure the problem is just in the tune on them. As for the LS1, he's waiting for it to cool off to bring it to the track for the first time in vegas. He's from the east coast and was running 10.60's there. I'm very curious how he runs in vegas.

DarkBlueTA has sold his procharger and is going turbo
I'm not knocking the potential and not saying what the STS is or is not capable of. What I'm saying is I'm damn glad I went Blower before Turbo for myself. Because my car is always running. While I'm sure they are out there every turbo car I know personally(owner that is), has had SIGNIFICANT downtime on their car. While every Blower car I know, Procharger and Vortech, has not.

If I ever outgrow my D1 I very well would consider a big front mount turbo setup. But I have been learning alot about FI cars in the almost 2 years I've been running the Procharger. I think I'd be better prepared for such a setup. Not to mention my motor, fuel, and tuning will already be in place and battle tested by the time I would switch over. Turbos have a lot of advantages, I just don't think reliablity is one of them. At least in your <600rwhp street cars. Above that and neither is really reliable.

Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 02:06 PM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My STS kit def made power... but it just seemed "mickey mouse"? Cheap Silicone couplers... It came with butt connectors and Ring Terminals... regular worm clamps. For the price it's a low power kit. Things can be upgraded, but when you stop and look at it, you could have bought a lot better kit. I think the bottom line really is if you want cheap BOTTOM LINE performance... period, it's a good decision. Easy to install, relatively inexpensive. It's like the Wal-Mart of turbo kits. I got my entire Phamspeed setup made to run atleast 700rwhp for the same price WITH a big intercooler as I got my STS kit WITHOUT any intercooler.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Armageddon
My STS kit def made power... but it just seemed "mickey mouse"? Cheap Silicone couplers... It came with butt connectors and Ring Terminals... regular worm clamps. For the price it's a low power kit. Things can be upgraded, but when you stop and look at it, you could have bought a lot better kit. I think the bottom line really is if you want cheap BOTTOM LINE performance... period, it's a good decision. Easy to install, relatively inexpensive. It's like the Wal-Mart of turbo kits. I got my entire Phamspeed setup made to run atleast 700rwhp for the same price WITH a big intercooler as I got my STS kit WITHOUT any intercooler.
same here...not that i had an STS kit but as far as price wise....thats because we were part of the genius's that got in on Phamspeed at the beginning (you guys were smarter with the headers kit) but thats why were cheaper...and for those that dont know you can still get a Phamspeed kit cheaper than a decent STS kit,and capable of more power.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Suspended Sponsor

remember the big benefit this kit has it the ability to smog the car!! We Californians at least need to be very careful with the "SMOG POLICE" they will get you and many know what they are looking at and the STS kit just passed the C.A.R.B. tests with flying colors!

-Bryan
Old 07-22-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Armageddon
I feel almost the same way... I liked the power the kit made running rich and like 11* of timing from 3500rpm and up... the MAF was pegging for some reason so it went to the 1.20 g/sec tables lol. But I think the low timing was because for 120* IAT the PCM pulls 4* of timing.

Anyways yeah, I think the quality sucked. The install wasn't easy. 8 hour installation time... yeah right. The install manual was poorly written. Usually they are but "assemble as show in picture 5a" WTF is this a LEGO I'm building? The damn turbo was hanging down real low even after tweaking everything that affects its height. 1/2" clearance between the PS pulley and the pipe is retarded... I think that's why they never put pictures from that area on their site.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Yep I would DIY....

T-bolt clamps, air to water quite a few changes...
Old 07-22-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
Yep I would DIY....

T-bolt clamps, air to water quite a few changes...
I was going connect the STS to a set of ATI twins I picked up for super cheap... but of course I didn't get that far. Those intercoolers aren't better than a FMIC but I think it would have dropped the IAT some... and I wouldn't have to chop the front bumper support.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

You need the right sized spearco air to water...

Its so much easier to plumb some heater hose around than 2-2.25" hard IC pipes...

If a rock dings your heat exchanger... Oh well. If it hits a FMIC air to air with a expensive core %#@#.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

Cool

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
You hear about all the great dyno numbers from STS, but you rarely hear track times. There is definitely a disconnect similar to what you see with Supra's.

That being said, it seems like a complete setup including a stall converter can get you some good times. Anybody have track times for a 6 psi setup on a stock car? Didn't think so.

-Geoff
I am getting an STS installed as we speak... Stock lower... LQ4 Heads (Untouched) and LPE GT7 cam... I will be running 7psi on my setup and would love to provide some track times in a week or so... good... or bad...
Old 07-22-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longrange4u
I am getting an STS installed as we speak... Stock lower... LQ4 Heads (Untouched) and LPE GT7 cam... I will be running 7psi on my setup and would love to provide some track times in a week or so... good... or bad...
You'll probably have good times and dyno numbers
Old 07-22-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

buschman, if I were you I wouldn't even consider changing from blower to turbo. Too expensive to switch. I'm a turbo fan, but I got lucky and my car came with almost everything already on it including the turbo. I just improved on it.

Quick Reply: Why Not To Get STS?