Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What would you think max safe boost is?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you think max safe boost is?

As title says, what would you think max safe boost is on stock LS2 with 10.9:1 compression.

I’m leaning towards 5 PSI, maybe another 1-2 PSI with methanol.

Mike
Old 07-30-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
As title says, what would you think max safe boost is on stock LS2 with 10.9:1 compression.

I’m leaning towards 5 PSI, maybe another 1-2 PSI with methanol.

Mike

The Crank is only good for a reliable 550. Others are pushing beyond that, but I would not recommend it. As far as boost, 6psi would be the absolute upper limit with 11.1 compression. Dynamically that would put you somewhere around 18.1 or 19.1.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
The Crank is only good for a reliable 550. Others are pushing beyond that, but I would not recommend it. As far as boost, 6psi would be the absolute upper limit with 11.1 compression. Dynamically that would put you somewhere around 18.1 or 19.1.
I hope you typoed that..Pistons are relaible only to about 550 and rods in LS2 are a bit more. The cranks have been run way over double that without failures.

Dave
Old 07-30-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Please point me to a thread where the crank went south at 550rwhp.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,305 Posts

i dont see why people risk it....makes no sense when youre making alot of power.peoples cranks have gone south with STOCK hp,so its probably fine for 500rwhp but if he starts making much more and will need to rebuild anyway why not get a forged crank?
Old 07-30-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, pretty sure you mean the pistons, right? The cranks seem to be doing pretty well over 550hp. I don't remember seeing any instances where the cranks failed anywhere near the 550hp mark.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Probably because it costs a minimum of $1k to upgrade to a forged steel piece. If you're not trying to make crazy high numbers, I am sure that $1k+ could be put to better use in your car.

Don't recall seeing any instances where the stock cranks failed with stock hp, or even boosted? Are you refering to a spun bearing or what? That's usually the result of poor maintenance (CHANGE YOUR OIL!), over reving, or a poor rebuild.

I guess it depends on what your power goals are. If this guys not trying to change his compression ratio, he's probably going to be more concerned about detonation, lifting his heads or piston failure than stock crank failure.

Originally Posted by ddnspider
i dont see why people risk it....makes no sense when youre making alot of power.peoples cranks have gone south with STOCK hp,so its probably fine for 500rwhp but if he starts making much more and will need to rebuild anyway why not get a forged crank?
Old 07-30-2005, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

with 5psi i hope he can keep a handle on lifting the heads...even with that CR.it would be nice to know what he's actually doing as far as FI.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Fbody99
I hope you typoed that..Pistons are relaible only to about 550 and rods in LS2 are a bit more. The cranks have been run way over double that without failures.

Dave
You know for everything that I was given crap about......

There are people that are making over 550 on the stock crank. But As I said about my setup, 822RWHP on 93 octane, just because I can do it, doesnt make it reliable. For what a high performance engine cost. that should be a piece that is replaced. Harlan, from my understanding is using the stock crank making all of the power he makes, but my understanding he is not running it on a race track, he is taking it to drag strip, nice short little runs. I didnt say you couldnt do it, I am saying that it is not a reliable avenue to take.

I would imagine regardless of who I have pissed off in the past that anyone with any experience at all would agree, that anything over 550 on a blown application the crank should be replaced.

I am not sure of any aftermarket company out there, and in last months GM High Tech where every company listed their builds parts list, not one had the stock crank listed. If I am going to spend at least 10K on a motor, I can afford another 2K for a crank that will hold up. Guarenteed.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

You are the first person I have seen recommend changing the crank for 550hp.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

thats my thoughts exactly Brian.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KraZy
You are the first person I have seen recommend changing the crank for 550hp.
make that 2
Old 07-30-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

make that 2

Keep to asking about a girdle.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

with 5psi i hope he can keep a handle on lifting the heads...even with that CR.it would be nice to know what he's actually doing as far as FI.
My main concern is stock cast pistons (hyper-you-cracked-it, junk)! At 10.9:1 CR and octane limitations in some states, max boost is highly debatable. Some people have pushed stock LS1 to 10 PSI and above.

But I think effective CR of ~15:1 about max without engine grenading. That’s a little over 5 PSI of boost. I thought I would ask the question and see what forum members think.

As far as lifting heads – allot of other things will let loose before that happens on stock LS2.

Mike
Old 07-31-2005, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Ahh, I was afraid you were going to take a super-defensive position on this. Seems like lately you're always pretty worried about people giving you sh$t about this and that, but I don't think there's anything wrong with putting something like this up for a little healthy discussion...

Let's face it - you definitely make it a point to test the limits of your engine, therefore a forged crank is definitely the choice for you. However the guy that started this post is looking for 5-7psi, not 14-18psi! I think for his setup, the stock crank will be just fine.

As far as the stock crank goes in general, from what I have read so far, it seems like 550hp is reliable. It seems like people are making more than 550 reliable hp. If you're constantly testing the limits of your engine, than obviously a forged steel crank (or anything for that matter) is going to be better than the stock internals. What you need to decide is whether or not you can better spend that $1k-$2k somewhere else on your car. I think it all depends on what your goals are, but I would not sell your stock crank short at 550hp.

You know for everything that I was given crap about......

There are people that are making over 550 on the stock crank. But As I said about my setup, 822RWHP on 93 octane, just because I can do it, doesnt make it reliable. For what a high performance engine cost. that should be a piece that is replaced. Harlan, from my understanding is using the stock crank making all of the power he makes, but my understanding he is not running it on a race track, he is taking it to drag strip, nice short little runs. I didnt say you couldnt do it, I am saying that it is not a reliable avenue to take.

I would imagine regardless of who I have pissed off in the past that anyone with any experience at all would agree, that anything over 550 on a blown application the crank should be replaced.

I am not sure of any aftermarket company out there, and in last months GM High Tech where every company listed their builds parts list, not one had the stock crank listed. If I am going to spend at least 10K on a motor, I can afford another 2K for a crank that will hold up. Guarenteed.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 369 Posts

I don't believe a piston, ring, or rodbolt ever left the factory that would take enough abuse for the crank to be the failing part.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KraZy

Keep to asking about a girdle.
I read at EPP that they had a 700 and some RWHP TA running stock crank and block with a girdle system when they forged the bottm end becuse the stock crank was good for over 900RWHP

Last edited by 01red28; 07-31-2005 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

make that 2
I am also the first person to hit 822RWHP on 93 Octane on a LS1 type motor.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01red28
I read at EPP that they had a 700 and some RWHP TA running stock crank and block with a girdle system when they forged the bottm end becuse the stock crank was good for over 900RWHP
That info that they are throwing out did not come from GM. Just because you build a motor and it makes that power does not mean it makes it reliabily
Old 07-31-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastKat
Ahh, I was afraid you were going to take a super-defensive position on this. Seems like lately you're always pretty worried about people giving you sh$t about this and that, but I don't think there's anything wrong with putting something like this up for a little healthy discussion...

Let's face it - you definitely make it a point to test the limits of your engine, therefore a forged crank is definitely the choice for you. However the guy that started this post is looking for 5-7psi, not 14-18psi! I think for his setup, the stock crank will be just fine.

As far as the stock crank goes in general, from what I have read so far, it seems like 550hp is reliable. It seems like people are making more than 550 reliable hp. If you're constantly testing the limits of your engine, than obviously a forged steel crank (or anything for that matter) is going to be better than the stock internals. What you need to decide is whether or not you can better spend that $1k-$2k somewhere else on your car. I think it all depends on what your goals are, but I would not sell your stock crank short at 550hp.
I would completely agree. 5-7 lbs should yield about 550 RWHP wouldnt you think? Give or take a little. I may be taken to some extremes with my original statement, but I wouldnt go much farther than 600. I am curious, does anyone have the stock crank so that they could weight it for me.

Quick Reply: What would you think max safe boost is?