Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

So I want to turbocharge...I got a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I want to turbocharge...I got a problem

So I think I want to turbocharge...

The only problem I have is that I already have QTP longtube headers and a GMMG exhaust.

I guess that kits come with their own headers and such, Is there anyway to get/make a turbo kit for longtubes?

Am I just being stupid?

The reason I want a turbo over a blower is the street/strip capabilities, you can change the boost from inside your car, raise it or lower if Im just cruising or im at the track.

thanks!
Old 08-06-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe using the STS turbo you could keep your headers, other than that, you will have to remove them.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zoxygen

The only problem I have is that I already have QTP longtube headers and a GMMG exhaust.

I guess that kits come with their own headers and such, Is there anyway to get/make a turbo kit for longtubes?

Am I just being stupid?

The reason I want a turbo over a blower is the street/strip capabilities, you can change the boost from inside your car, raise it or lower if Im just cruising or im at the track.

thanks!

yay b/c changing boost on the fly is the thing to do
Old 08-06-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

just sell the stuff.. dont compromise the sytem because you made a mistake early in your car-modding
Old 08-06-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckhand
maybe using the STS turbo you could keep your headers, other than that, you will have to remove them.
The STS will be less efficient with free flow headers. More back pressure=more boost.

I recommend D-1SC Procharger
Old 08-06-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
yay b/c changing boost on the fly is the thing to do
WTF, he has a very valid point. Having owned both types of set ups for an LS1 F body, I can say he has a great point. ATI kits suck the **** when it comes to changing pulleys to adjust boost. If you are still on the stock ATI 6 rib set up, then trying get more boost of it will be futile since slip is so bad.
You then get the SDCE 8 rib spring tensioned set up, and slip is gone, but you still have to swap pulleys out, get the right length belt....etc..

Having the ability to adjust boost from inside the car with a turbo is pretty much ideal. You want to do some street racing, street tires are on the car so you leave on 4 psi to maintain traction, then hit the high setting to bump you to 15+psi once traction isn't too much of a concern.

Same thing goes for the track, low boost for launch, high boost from second to 3 or 4th depending if your auto or manual.

Its one of the reasons I made the switch because ******* with pulleys to get more boost sucks, I can flip a switch and go from 5psi to 18psi now.

What form of FI do you have on your car?
Old 08-06-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya i must say that being able to change boost at a whim is awesome. Obviously not going crazy, but get it tuned for a high boost settin and then turn it down for regular beating adn up when ya lose lol.
When i went FI i had headers adn a catless y-pipe and it sucked to have to change it but i definatly dont regret uying them in the first place. They got me through the first 6 years of drivin. You should just sell them and go for broke! GL

John
Old 08-06-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

just sell your exhaust and use that cash to help pay for the turbo setup. thats what i did and people say im alot cooler now
Old 08-06-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you have like 12 posts... keep reading the forced induction section, there's a lot of good information on here!! I also think that "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell should be a mandatory reading for everyone in this section hahaha there's A LOT of good information in it, and it'll let you know exactly what is involved in buying, setting up or building a turbo system for you car. It'll be the best $20 you spend on your turbo setup... JUST BUY IT!

Originally Posted by zoxygen

Am I just being stupid?

thanks!
Old 08-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Wow, Thanks guys for all the feedback. This really helps.

I think that im going to stick with the Headers and exhaust for now and work on my Intake as much as I can and maybe next spring do the turbo (or sooner if I can antsy )

Anyways, one more question, would I have to get rid of my GMMG exhaust? cuz I love that thing and I dont want to sell it.

Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

no you could use the gmmg with the turbo setup.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:48 AM
11 Second Club

Not to hijack, but I didn't know you shouldn't use LT's with the STS. I guess that may be part of my boost lag problem. Thank God I kept my stock manifolds and Y-pipe
Old 08-07-2005, 06:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frcefed98
WTF, he has a very valid point. Having owned both types of set ups for an LS1 F body, I can say he has a great point. ATI kits suck the **** when it comes to changing pulleys to adjust boost. If you are still on the stock ATI 6 rib set up, then trying get more boost of it will be futile since slip is so bad.
You then get the SDCE 8 rib spring tensioned set up, and slip is gone, but you still have to swap pulleys out, get the right length belt....etc..

Having the ability to adjust boost from inside the car with a turbo is pretty much ideal. You want to do some street racing, street tires are on the car so you leave on 4 psi to maintain traction, then hit the high setting to bump you to 15+psi once traction isn't too much of a concern.

Same thing goes for the track, low boost for launch, high boost from second to 3 or 4th depending if your auto or manual.

Its one of the reasons I made the switch because ******* with pulleys to get more boost sucks, I can flip a switch and go from 5psi to 18psi now.

What form of FI do you have on your car?
I agree with ya there Jer..... done the same setups we have..... sound kinda like Yoda,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, to funny bro
Old 08-07-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kjmdrumz3
Not to hijack, but I didn't know you shouldn't use LT's with the STS. I guess that may be part of my boost lag problem. Thank God I kept my stock manifolds and Y-pipe
Well less backpressure will not spool the turbine as fast. More pressure faster spool= more power.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
The STS will be less efficient with free flow headers. More back pressure=more boost.

I recommend D-1SC Procharger
PLEASE.........more detail. I have SLP LT's on now. Would going back to stock manifolds be better? Why? Any other tid-bits of info you would like to share are greatly appreciated, I can assure you.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Nobody?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

purevil had headers and made great power on the sts kit...
Old 08-07-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your LT's if you are getting the kit...... just talk to who ever your buying it from and see if you need to go with a bigger turbo...... you will be fine.......
Old 08-07-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

all i meant was most people (ricers i know) get too excited about boost controllers and go nuts with them w/o anykind of tuning and lean out their AF too much. stock bottom end ls1 shouldnt boost more then 9 or 10lbs safely, so just go to home depot, make a manual boost controller for a few bucks, set it between 8-10, get the car tuned at the level and be happy. (and save up the extra 500 bucks towards something u will need, like a 12 bolt)
Old 08-08-2005, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Keep your LT's if you are getting the kit...... just talk to who ever your buying it from and see if you need to go with a bigger turbo...... you will be fine.......
I already have the kit. Installed. Dyno-tuned at 7psi, 454rwhp I forget the TQ #'s. It was through a stock 4L60E with a slipping 3rd gear. I had a lag problem. Basically I wasnt making full boost until around 5500rpm's. The silicone elbow from the FMIC piping to the TB was sucking shut and taking a LONG TIME to return to its normal shape. But I don't think the LT's had much to do with that. I think it was more cause and effect= 3rd was slipping and not building exhaust pressure as quickly as it should, which in turn didn't spool the turbo as fast as it should, which in turn was causing the silicone elbow to retain a half-closed shape, which was starving the motor. I think it was more of a cycle than just one thing, if you know what I mean. About the 3rd gear slippage issue, I noticed during a street race (against a stock Evo MR, who pulled in the lot and said "I'm going to burn this Trans Am up ) that 3rd felt like it was losing power. 1st and 2nd were sick, but 3rd felt like it fell on its face. The r's didnt spike though, which I thought was odd. BTW...I was so far out on the Evo by the top of 2nd that I coasted through the quarter and finished about 5-6 cars in front. He was pissed. He actually told me "Yo, your second gear is off da hook, but I was comin' to get you in 3rd!" LOL, cause I let off. The guys at the finish line said it was funny watching a car pass by at about 70mph 5 cars IN FRONT OF the car going 100mph! Enough about that. Did some asking around and found that tranny's CAN slip without rpm's jumping. Took it to the track anyway went 14.85@64 letting off around the 330. 12.20@98 letting it shift to 3rd then kind of stabbing the pedal to get me down there. My last pass I decided to see if 3rd would hold at all 13.08@81 with absolutely no 3rd gear. At first I was kicking myself in the *** for taking it to the track, but soon realized that it's just a good excuse to buy a turbo400, which I will be picking up from FBC Wednesday . I guess Im looking for a little reassurance. Thanks for listening to me rant, it's late here