Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GREDDY boost controller problem-STS kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GREDDY boost controller problem-STS kit

OK so I have an sts kit and I and im getting overboost. Ok so I started doing wot pulls on the street a few nights and boost started going nuts. I have the boost set at 0% and in 1st gear im getting 6psi and in 2nd I'm getting 11psi by the time I reach 5800rpm and the same in 3rd. I have stock wot air/fuel and some wot timing has been lowered to 11. I ran the boost hose straight from the compressor to the wastegate and the car boosted 4psi through 1st and 2nd. So it must be the boost controller right?. I have my gain set at 10 could this be the problem? I dont want to have to send the boost contrlloller back but I think i might have to . I checked and reconnected the boost controller last night and it boosted 11 psi again with boost set at 0% and gain set at 10%.
thanks for any help
-MIKe
Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your using my tune your fueling is NOT stock

no way would I let you boost with a stock A/F

in any case did you verify your plugged into the correct port on the wastegate?
Old 08-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Launching!

lol...I was about to pm you...Yeah the hoses are connected correctly and the wot a/f was about 12.0-12.6 thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Launching!

there are 3 ports on the greddy valve unit, 'com' 'nc' and 'no'. I am running through the 'com' and 'nc' ports which is what is says in the instructions for external wastegate installations. The other 'no' port is used with actuator type installations.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sent ya a pm, we need to richen you up some more.

we want 11:5 for saftey.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Disconnect the controller from the wastegate. That will default you back to spring pressure in the wastegate. If your still overshooting, then your gate is either to small or you are running to stiff of a spring.

Jose
Old 08-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Coal Mining Director

Looks like you have a 4psi spring in the wastegate. I'm fighting a junky Apexi EBC with my Incons...EBC's can be a pain. Can you turn the gain down lower on a Greddy? Can you set a target boost? Sounds like the wastegate is working properly but the controller needs some tuning.....be careful as it can get away from you quick and do some damage.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird
sent ya a pm, we need to richen you up some more.

we want 11:5 for saftey.

If it's a stock motor shoot for 11.0:1, gives more room for error. You'll sacrafice about 8 rwhp though.

As for the boost controller, lots of people have trouble getting the profec b spec II type r vcr dvd boost controller setup right. Did you try the settings I pm'd to you? To verify your spring pressure, just turn the controller off. I'm betting your "Set Gain" setting is too high and is causing the spike.

Post up all your low boost settings and i'll see if I can help you. Also verify the boost level with the controller turned off.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Launching!

thanks for the replys everyone- Zombie I tried your settings last(16% and 18% gain) night and it still boosted 10 psi but thanks for the advice...I already tried disconnecting the boost controller and then I see 4 psi with it disconnected. I am going to try again tonight and mess with some lower gain settings. It's weird though in 1st gear tha car makes 5.5psi and then 2nd and 3rd the overboosting starts. I think it has to be something with the boost controller settings. Is it possible if the valve unit wire is kinked it may affect the settings? I tried tugging on the valve unit wire to the boost controller head unit and it had no slack, it almost feels like it is kinked or stuck (bottlefed racing in redlands california did the install). Anyhow thanks for all the help everyone.
-MIke
Old 08-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Launching!

My stock boost settings are low and high boost at 0%, gain at 10% and set gain at 0%. these are the default boost settings and it still gets overboost. thanks again
Old 08-28-2005, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by socalstreetracer
My stock boost settings are low and high boost at 0%, gain at 10% and set gain at 0%. these are the default boost settings and it still gets overboost. thanks again
Try setting the gain at 50% and keep playing with it up/down 10% at a time until it starts to get consistant. The gain is probably your issue. This controller is a pain for most people to setup right. If i was there i could probably get it set correctly for you. Technically I was there today, went to the pamona swap meet to get a 3rd member
Old 08-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Launching!

I didnt know I could go that high in gain % but I will definitely try 50% tonight and if that dont work I'll increase or decrease by 10% till it works. thanks again for the help

Quick Reply: GREDDY boost controller problem-STS kit