Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GTP blower? Not the question you think it is....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTP blower? Not the question you think it is....

My buddy just got a '99 Monte Carlo with the 3800 series 2 V6 and I was wondering if the blower from a GTP would work on it. I know hood clearance might be an issue, but aside from that, does anyone know for sure if it will or will not work.

I mean I don't see why not. Camaro is to Firebird just as Monte Carlo is to Grand Prix, correct?

Also, does anyone know if the GTP has any forged internals at all to stand up to the boost?

TIA guys
Old 08-26-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, you can't just pop an M90 S/C onto an L36 engine (what's in the MC) and have it work. Too many probs like CR (9.5 for the L36 vs 8.5 for the L67 - GTP - for instance) and considerable PCM coding differences. The swiftest, easiest way is swap the L36 N/A motor to the L67 blower motor and PCM.

Search www.clubgp.com forums, it's been asked and answered in great detail many, many times. You'll find a guy named Ed Morad (sells parts and engines) there that can help you out big time. The MC is a nice car that can be made pretty fast. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right on TK, thanks for the input.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or go to www.zzperformance.com / www.stattama.com (I think that's the site) / www.3800performance.com

They all offer plenty of forced induction solutions for the N/A 3800.

-Geoff
Old 08-27-2005, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TeeKay
Sorry, you can't just pop an M90 S/C onto an L36 engine (what's in the MC) and have it work. Too many probs like CR (9.5 for the L36 vs 8.5 for the L67 - GTP - for instance) and considerable PCM coding differences. The swiftest, easiest way is swap the L36 N/A motor to the L67 blower motor and PCM.

Search www.clubgp.com forums, it's been asked and answered in great detail many, many times. You'll find a guy named Ed Morad (sells parts and engines) there that can help you out big time. The MC is a nice car that can be made pretty fast. Good luck.
you are absolutely wrong.

all you need to do to get that blower working is swap the balancer, swap to GTP (l67) heads, and lower intake manifold. some minor tuning required as well as some misc. hoses. swapping GT (l36 9.4:1 cr) motors into heavily modified GTP (l67s) setups is common practice to produce more power.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by caindo
you are absolutely wrong.

all you need to do to get that blower working is swap the balancer, swap to GTP (l67) heads, and lower intake manifold. some minor tuning required as well as some misc. hoses. swapping GT (l36 9.4:1 cr) motors into heavily modified GTP (l67s) setups is common practice to produce more power.
Golly! That's interesting info. I've been a member of ClubGP for several years now and all the 3800 guys say that doesn't work. I guess I just don't know enough. Have you been posting on the GT forum there? The GT (L36) guys would sure appreciate your exertise and how-to's on this particular issue as it's been asked many times over the last 4 years and the consensus has been, "it costs more than it's worth". Obviously we've been missing something that we need to be aware of! Thanks for the info.

p.s. Jonathan, you haven't said anything about this on CGP in the last year! Where you been, guy? The GT community needs you now! TomK

Last edited by TeeKay; 08-28-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you can get the swap parts, that blower will work on that engine, we push LS1 engines with stock pistons to 500rwhp all the time.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

tomK... uhm... lee unteidt does it all the time. where the hell you been ? :-). its a heads-up swap. just like ed and zooom and them run GT blocks... i hope you arent tryin to be a smartass.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by caindo
tomK... uhm... lee unteidt does it all the time. where the hell you been ? :-). its a heads-up swap. just like ed and zooom and them run GT blocks... i hope you arent tryin to be a smartass.
Hell, no! I see this question about once a month on the forum and have yet to see anyone say, "Sure, it's easy!" The common reply is, "Don't try it, it's way too expensive. Do the swap."

If there's peeps out there just dropping an M90 on the NA 3800, I'm just not aware of it. If there are, then post up where to find the info for the man. GT block? Well yeah, kinda, but its got some L67 internals IIRC.

No flame, even though your first post was a touch rude, just my 2¢.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a gtp blower forsale for $200.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TeeKay
Hell, no! I see this question about once a month on the forum and have yet to see anyone say, "Sure, it's easy!" The common reply is, "Don't try it, it's way too expensive. Do the swap."

If there's peeps out there just dropping an M90 on the NA 3800, I'm just not aware of it. If there are, then post up where to find the info for the man. GT block? Well yeah, kinda, but its got some L67 internals IIRC.

No flame, even though your first post was a touch rude, just my 2¢.
again, read my post. its a HEADS and UP swap. plus balancer and pulleys.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jon, Jon, Jon, give it a rest on the ClubGP type of contentious post. You said it; you're right. That's enough said, don't you think? Where's your sense of humor? Represent, man!

Quick Reply: GTP blower? Not the question you think it is....