Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Low boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low boost?

Is it normal to lose boost when installing higher flowing heads and better cam?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

i would think that it would depend on the heads themselves. I dont know too much about it, but i know when you go to installa FMIC, you will loose boost due to the piping size..

It might be similar with the compression ratios and chamber sizes of the heads...
Old 09-06-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can lose boost because the better heads and cam are allowing air to flow through the engine with less restriction. You are still flowing the same amount of air, if not more... and that's what really counts.

Boost sort of measures the restriction of your engine. Think about blowing air through a skinny straw and a fat straw. You can blow more air through the fat straw with less restriction (lesss boost.) With the small straw, you have to blow much harder to get the same amount of air through (more boost.)

What really counts is how much air you can move through the engine. More air and fuel mean more power!

Originally Posted by Funkybird
Is it normal to lose boost when installing higher flowing heads and better cam?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

So since i'm running only 6 psi on a 9 psi pulley then would I be right in saying that say an 18 psi pulley would run about 15 psi? Because I now have a 355 with a forged bottom end with ported LT4 heads and intake and a custom blower cam with 8.75:1cr. and I want to upgrade from a P1SC to a D1SC and push around 15 psi. Would this be safe?