Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Picture of GroundZero Motorsports new turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GroundZero

We work with alot of turbo cars here, possibly more than anyother sponser on this site. One thing we have learned is log style manifolds make power, simple as that. In street applications where you're not pushing the engine to its limits, log manfolds make more power than tubular manifolds. Call it crazy but we've seen it way too often. We see people lose power all the time going to a tubular manifold. Losses are very minimal but it still shows log and cast maniifolds make power.
I support what you guys are doing and wish you the best of luck, but come on man. We have tested tons upon tons of cars from street to outlaw 10.5. No way will a log manifold make more power then a nicely designed tubular header. Put this system againist even your own original tubular system and their is no comparison. Headers provide quicker spool, higher output potential, less backpressure #'s (ala reversion), lower EGT's....etc..etc. Heck I myself owned a TTI kit on my LT1 a long time ago with a 76mm and so did others. The PR's were reaching 4:1....thats nuts on a turbo setup. It will make power don't get me wrong, but efficiency is the key. Don't be suprised when you see that log glowing like a candle after a hard run.

Jose
Old 09-15-2005, 11:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right on Jose. Looks like a nice kit though.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
I support what you guys are doing and wish you the best of luck, but come on man. We have tested tons upon tons of cars from street to outlaw 10.5. No way will a log manifold make more power then a nicely designed tubular header. Put this system againist even your own original tubular system and their is no comparison. Headers provide quicker spool, higher output potential, less backpressure #'s (ala reversion), lower EGT's....etc..etc. Heck I myself owned a TTI kit on my LT1 a long time ago with a 76mm and so did others. The PR's were reaching 4:1....thats nuts on a turbo setup. It will make power don't get me wrong, but efficiency is the key. Don't be suprised when you see that log glowing like a candle after a hard run.

Jose

Maybe you read it wrong or I wrote it wrong. What I'm saying is at low boost, we've been seeing some good results from log/cast manifolds. At high boost on a powerful car, there's no question that tubular manifolds are better. I'm not saying our kits will make more power than yours, I'm saying our kits will make power and lots of it.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I wasn't comparing it to our kit....heck I was saying your tubular system would make more then your log system. Regardless of boost pressure the tubular will be more efficient. Yes the log will make power, but for a car running 500-600rwhp a log is not a good idea.

Jose
Old 09-16-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

what is the internal diameter of your log GZ?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a desent STREET kit for what is is
remeber guys street kits should make under 650rwhp, though we all want street cars that make more then that.

it does look like it has improvements over the stainless works and tti street kit, so its possible it can produce power levels of 650rwp or so before reversion and backpressure becomes a problem.

lets just all keep this civilized and respect GZM for what they brought us a decent priced street kit.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
looks like a desent STREET kit for what is is
remeber guys street kits should make under 650rwhp, though we all want street cars that make more then that.

it does look like it has improvements over the stainless works and tti street kit, so its possible it can produce power levels of 650rwp or so before reversion and backpressure becomes a problem.

lets just all keep this civilized and respect GZM for what they brought us a decent priced street kit.

I hear ya there........
Old 09-16-2005, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

I always thought the log kits would be pretty inefficient, but I know of an LT1 car with twins that has very simple looking logs on it that made like 750RWHP on a mustang dyno. The car's a total street cruiser too, with small turbos. Apparently they can work very well.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:21 AM
SSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Fryguy302
I always thought the log kits would be pretty inefficient, but I know of an LT1 car with twins that has very simple looking logs on it that made like 750RWHP on a mustang dyno. The car's a total street cruiser too, with small turbos. Apparently they can work very well.

I know the car you are talking about. 1) thick stainless weld-els = no cracks and 2) two logs = less pressure into each.

I'll say it again. I hope you are using THICK mild steel and coating the log inside and out. Otherwise....
Old 09-16-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RyanJ
I know the car you are talking about. 1) thick stainless weld-els = no cracks and 2) two logs = less pressure into each.

I'll say it again. I hope you are using THICK mild steel and coating the log inside and out. Otherwise....
You usually dont want to coat the inside of any turbo kit, as once/if the coating starts to flake its going right into your turbo
Old 09-16-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think being able to use a tang housing will help some of the back pressure issues. The 76GST also has a lot bigger exhaust wheel than the P trim exhaust wheels used on most of the other log kits. It would not be my first choice but seems to be the best log set-up yet. I also think it would be preferred to the mainfold kits that run the hot parts under the k-member.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just to throw it out there at ya. Isnt Parish using a stock manifold on the drivers side and a log style header on the passengers side? If I recall he is making over 1000 hp now. Just a thought.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

I think parish has a Y right there where the turbo sits, pretty sure its not a log style
Old 09-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Well, We'll get some dyno#'s hopefully next week if we get our software in. It'll be ran on low boost but will be a good comparasion between our kits to others.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Restricted User

Parish sold his "log style" kit many many months ago. Log style works but hinders flow. Look at the pipes - anything that is T'ed won't flow as fluid as something that is Y'ed or vee'd in. It's basic fluid dynamics 101.

Good kit though at a decent price.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:31 PM
SSU Moderator

Originally Posted by 69firebird
I think parish has a Y right there where the turbo sits, pretty sure its not a log style
This is a working log-mainfold set-up (parish's)

Old 09-16-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Speaking of Parish..... You guys hear he won Drag Week.....???? The guy who was in the lead was caught cheating by parish's crew 1320 video.... they got it on tape......
Kyle
Old 09-16-2005, 02:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Speaking of Parish..... You guys hear he won Drag Week.....???? The guy who was in the lead was caught cheating by parish's crew 1320 video.... they got it on tape......
Kyle
Link?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Who is this guy? Who's kit is it? Is that for a LS1?
Those pipes look nice...

Bill
Old 09-16-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Link?

PLEASE!!!!

John