Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PTK, how stable are they?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mods just lock this thread this thread is worthless and just bad news and could mislead people. I believe ptk is good company i just don't agree with the 70% thing.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Truthfully there is no reason why you should be waiting over a month for a kit.A history of waiting 2-3months is the way old Turbo company's went under.Ussually the $$ ends up being spent and they can't cover your kit.After time there might be 10-20 customer's getting stiffed because the company went under. The way I feel is that your kit should be made ASAP after ordering. I see alot of company's coiming out with new products but can't fill there existing order's. That means instead of doing your kit they are ussing your $$ to build these new products. Bad taste in my mouth.

On the other hand WET 1 -I think you should buy a new forged motor and upgrade the driveline first
Old 09-17-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Phamspeed? Oh, Ground Zero now... Hmmmm

Bill: I see what you're saying, and I absolutley agree with you. However, ALL the turbo kit companies are doing it this way, and if you want a turbo, you have to play by their rules or fab yourself a custom kit. I don't like it at all, and I used to come very close to giving up on the idea altogether and go with a D-1SC before I finally made a decision.

I didn't want to have a Vortech, D-1SC, or STS like the masses, so I bit the bullet and went with the kit that retains all accessories, runs over the K-member, and doesn't use a log-style header: PTK, there aren't really any other choices. I was very close to buying a Phamspeed like you mentioned, but their splitting up, going back, changing names/locations, and changing kits turned me off more than any wait time could... Common sense there, too, don't you think? ...And their kits ended being great anyway, according to their owners!

TTi (Race kit) and PTK seem like the only ways to go unless you want to be like everybody else or are skilled enough to fab a DIY kit. I wish to be neither.

Of course, the HiFlo kit is not ruled out, yet... But that is still ongoing. We'll see what's up.

I post every update I can about my purchase, to help other forum members make more informed decisions as I was helped by forum members, but so many people post crticisms about experiences they don't HAVE with these kits. I'll tell you the bad, yeah, their (PTK) wait time BLOWS, but they know that themselves and are ponying up to it as one of the qualities they wish to improve. What the hell are we gonna do about it? Pass it up, get a D-1SC or STS, done. Yeah, but not for me.

STS owners: My apologies if this sounded bad... No offense intended. I just wouldn't go that way for a turbo.

Vortech/D-1SC owners: Badass, but there are alot of you guys, you don't need another one in your ranks.

TTI Race Kit owners: I don't have a lot of money. I'm a teacher, NOT for a public school, for a private. I'm one of the really poor teachers.
My TA is my only ride... Daily driver... and I live in Miami. GOTTA have the AC, man. Miami people know what's up.
Can't go that way either
Old 09-17-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, this thread is worthless. I agree.

I, too, make it a habit of posting several times on threads I feel are worthless.

WET 1: PM me if you want details about my purchase experience. I'd be afraid to post in this crowd.

Let's all go back to more worthwhile threads now.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

no offense. but they have been out there for a while. typically we see turbo companies come and go about every 6 months on here. but PTK has been here for a while. why dont you call jose@ forced inductions. see what he can do. I understand the 2.5-3 months b/c everything takes time. some turbo's take time to have built as well. with custom specs. I am not worried about them slacking off. and I proudly going to hand him a check in the next couple of weeks to build me a kit for my car. yeah the sig says supercharger. but I changed my mind. hahaha o well.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Share the wealth... Tell us, what kit? Custom/Secret? Or one of the LS1 kits?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know he has a new turbo that he is releasing. I hopefully will be the first with it. gonna give me the chance to take it to 1200hp if I want. but not sure of the spec. and if I do know and it is cool with jose I will post them. it may be a month or so. they ran the same turbo on a diesel truck and held 50psi!!!!!! talk about crazy. and I am not sure what kit. think it is the ls1 kit. I mean that is the car it is goin into. so I dunno if anything will be one off or not. the turbo is coming out. I just (hoping) will be the first on an Fbody. muhuahua.
thanks
Wesley
Old 09-17-2005, 06:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Actually last night in testing it held 88psi . We ran out of fuel as well....
Old 09-17-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
Actually last night in testing it held 88psi . We ran out of fuel as well....
DAMN. but I think the heads would have lifted through the hood before 88psi. for me.hahaha. sweet stats though.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

PTK just did my car with a custom race ls1 kit and let me tell you they might take a little long but when you get it you are going to drule all over it they do awesome work and i am very happy with the way it turnd out, I posted some pics here so just check them out,I don't think you would want something that wild but they can get you fixed up.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

[IMG][/IMG] hey guys if you cannot tolerate the the risk then dont do it, but i will tell you this, i bought the first kit produced kit of the jig for c5. i was told 3 month, recieved in 3.5 months. the quality of fit and finish was excellent! keep in mind the c5 kit requires lots of parts and there isnt much room for "off" pieces. oh actually hear this, i couldnt get a silicon elbow to fit properly told dalton that i bought a replacement that had a tighter radius, he sent me a check for it, $120. well i come to find out that i cut the coupler incorrectly and the origanal would have worked, dalton didnt want the money back.

all us guys that sleep eat and think about our cars with turbos hangong off of them are nuts. what i am trying to say is we are a special breed amd cause there arnt many of us the supply is limited and that causes delays.

i love my kit
Old 09-17-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice pics, and, yeah, we are truly nuts!

Jose: 88 psi? That thing must be a fire-breathing monster!
Old 09-18-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

When i bought my Phamspeed kit he wanted 2k at order adn the remainder at shipping, and shipping was 2 weeks later. I know they have changed names since then but i have no doubts that they do ti right.
If i was told that i had to wait 3 months and later found out, 3 months later, that it woudl be 3 more months i woudl be callin my credit card company and gettin my money back. I know they say good things come to those who wait but 3 months alone is crazy let alone 6. It may be a good kit but can ANYONE come up with a reason it would take 3 months? I mean really. The guys on here tha make thier own do it in less time then that. Oh well. My vote is get a different kit or a used one man. that is insane. GL

John
Old 09-18-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

what did you test get 88 psi out of?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1CANTU
PTK just did my car with a custom race ls1 kit and let me tell you they might take a little long but when you get it you are going to drule all over it they do awesome work and i am very happy with the way it turnd out, I posted some pics here so just check them out,I don't think you would want something that wild but they can get you fixed up.
sweet. cant wait to see some pics. I am getting so excited about doing my kit and my car still doesnt have a motor in it yet.
haha
Old 09-18-2005, 08:56 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
When i bought my Phamspeed kit he wanted 2k at order adn the remainder at shipping, and shipping was 2 weeks later. I know they have changed names since then but i have no doubts that they do ti right.
If i was told that i had to wait 3 months and later found out, 3 months later, that it woudl be 3 more months i woudl be callin my credit card company and gettin my money back. I know they say good things come to those who wait but 3 months alone is crazy let alone 6. It may be a good kit but can ANYONE come up with a reason it would take 3 months? I mean really. The guys on here tha make thier own do it in less time then that. Oh well. My vote is get a different kit or a used one man. that is insane. GL

John
when you order a turbo from PTE or MP or Turbonetics the wait for that alone can be 3 months. Other parts can influence it also. I don't know how many orders PTK has going on at any one time but I bet its a lot.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:04 AM
9 Second Club

I was told by Turbo Tech two to three weeks.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

That's a heck of a good delivery time. I think they have the best times.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The 88psi is on our test Cummins 5.9.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1CANTU
exactly. I couldnt have said it any better. time is not a factor to me. I just know that when the car comes home that it will be pretty quick.

Quick Reply: PTK, how stable are they?