Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PTK, how stable are they?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying a kit locally isn't an option for me, but it is a good suggestion. Buying used isn't much of an option either since I have a C5, not many used kits F/S (none actually). I've also check into using a credit card as a safety net, but most CC companies only give you 60 - 90 days max to do a charge back... PTK is looking at 6+ months!

I realize PTK makes some great stuff which is why I too am interested in their product, and these product take some time and money to build. I also realize PTK has many happy customers and obviously a few leg humpers. I am so impressed with their product based on what I've seen and heard that these guys are by far my first choice. Let's be very clear, I am not slamming them or their product. I am just very sceptical about forking over $9,000 of my money to a company who wants all the money up-front and tells me delivery will be 2.5 - 3 months when the data suggests it's going to be over 6 months. And where is my money going while I wait 6+ months? If nothing other than paperwork is being done with my kit over the next several months and my money is used to pay todays bills (overdue kits), well it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out this won't work very long as it snow-*****. I have no doubt they make a great product and that they've delivered to all their previous customers, but it appears they are getting very backlogged... and it looks like it's only getting worse, much worse. Just because a turbo company has been in business for two or three years instead of the more typical one year doesn't mean they are sound. Hell, look at all the long standing large companies which file bankruptcy every year. PTK might be very financially sound, I don't know, but I am skeptical to give $9,000 up-front to ANY company given increasing backlog and the facts. It wasn't all that long ago all the leg humpers were touting about how great APE was and how great their new short block was going to be... APE kept collecting money and trying to deliver product until they got to backlogged and in to far over their head. Absolute Speed is another recent tragic story. Hell, I've even been burned myself by a Turbo kit company in the early 90's. Sometimes the writing is on the wall and we're just so blinded by the passion of the product to not see the obvious.

Dalton, thank you for posting, I didn't know you were on the forum. I enjoyed talking to you a week or two ago, you seem like a great guy and I'm sold on your product. What you now need to do to complete this sale is give me security in knowing I'll receive what I'm paying for. I don't know what you can do from your end to offer me complete security, but if you come up with a solution you will have my order the same day.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Truthfully there is no reason why you should be waiting over a month for a kit.A history of waiting 2-3months is the way old Turbo company's went under.Ussually the $$ ends up being spent and they can't cover your kit.After time there might be 10-20 customer's getting stiffed because the company went under. The way I feel is that your kit should be made ASAP after ordering. I see alot of company's coiming out with new products but can't fill there existing order's. That means instead of doing your kit they are ussing your $$ to build these new products. Bad taste in my mouth.

On the other hand WET 1 -I think you should buy a new forged motor and upgrade the driveline first
Very good points, I have to agree with you and BilliumSS on this one.
BTW... I'm one step ahead of you on the upgrades which is why I'm looking at TT systems. Give me a LITTLE credit Don!

There are a couple other companies who make C5 kits. I know first hand TTi is a pretty good company to do business with, but their C5 kit isn't a very deep breather. STS is another one who will deliver in a timely manor and as promised, but that's not what I'm looking for either. Of course there's always LPE too, but again that's not much of an option. There are a couple others out there. HP looks to have a nice kit, but they have also had some delivery problems... although from what I understand HP is making 14 kits to have on the shelve, which if this is the case sounds VERY attractive. SCT is rumored to have something in the works which looks very similar to the HP kit, so that is another possibility. A&A is coming out with a top mount TT kit which isn't all that much different than the PTK kit... the quality is TOP NOTCH and made of SS. I don't think anyone can go wrong dealing with Andy... I'll have to see when that's due to be released. It looks like there are several new options coming up for C5 kits.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet 1
...I know first hand TTi is a pretty good company to do business with, but their C5 kit isn't a very deep breather. ...
I assume you mean the Stage I TTi kit doesn't breathe deep? Trust me, the Stage X TTi kit will breathe plenty deep if you haven't looked into that one yet.

Rick
Old 09-20-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

i waited a whole 2 weeks to recieve my kit from phamspeed. From the day i ordered to the day it arrived complete was 2 weeks. It was also about half of 9000 ALready fixed the piping everyone bitchs about too, took about an hour for don to fix that. Big deal...saved me 4500.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PurEvl
i waited a whole 2 weeks to recieve my kit from phamspeed. From the day i ordered to the day it arrived complete was 2 weeks. It was also about half of 9000 ALready fixed the piping everyone bitchs about too, took about an hour for don to fix that. Big deal...saved me 4500.
If you can point me to a C5 kit that will support over 800 rwhp easily for $4500 I'd be very interested!
Old 09-20-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

I just pissed myself at your info on credit card companies only allowing chargeback at <90 days. Gulp.

I am (patiently) waiting on my PTK air-to-air kit, ordered 06-17-05. I agree with Wet1's comments on the money up front business model; I could see a charge for parts at the time the order is placed, with the balance due when the kit is finished. That seems fair to both consumer and supplier, and limits the risk taken by the builder. Money up front pays for the materials used, and the labor is paid for when it's been done. Dalton, do you care to chime in on this?

I realize this comment may damage my leg-humper status, though.

Please keep me in my spot in line, OK Dalton? Please?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah well with my kit they will build it right on the car. so that is why I dont mind the wait. b/c I want it all to be perfect.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you can point me to a C5 kit that will support over 800 rwhp easily for $4500 I'd be very interested!

LOL you vette guys got all the money.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Wet one, the turbo kit you want is TTi. I said it once already, they have the best delivery times and quality.

Questionable economics notwithstanding, there are some people not that concerned with PTK's lackluster delivery times (though I sure am). I hope you are not referring to these as leg-humpers!

You asked for the stability of PTK. Who has the authority to tell you this besides their accountant(s)? So, from the start, the question has little discussion worth due to your audience's lack of access to this kind of information, except for Dalton. However, I don't think Dalton is ready to summarize a position expressing their financial stability on a public forum. Anyway, there is no further proof of this than what we have: Three pages with no distinct answer to your thread title's question. You can only go by the testimonies of their customers, viz. delivery times, prices, experience, product quality, etc. Obviously, this discussion has been essentially about these things, the pro's and con's of PTK purchases...

You've been told all the details about PTK, and the delivery times are certainly concerns few would look past. There's no justification for their payment policy.

If I may ask, could you please elaborate on the poor breathing qualities of the TTi kit for the C5? I've only heard good things about their F-body LS1 kit from members here. This is the only other kit you would be interested in, I think.

The DIY'ers have the advantage. I wish I would have had the time to learn this kind of level of mechanics and steel work. These skills would have solved me some problems when looking for a kit.

Last edited by bboyferal; 09-20-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RW99
I just pissed myself at your info on credit card companies only allowing chargeback at <90 days. Gulp.

I am (patiently) waiting on my PTK air-to-air kit, ordered 06-17-05. I agree with Wet1's comments on the money up front business model; I could see a charge for parts at the time the order is placed, with the balance due when the kit is finished. That seems fair to both consumer and supplier, and limits the risk taken by the builder. Money up front pays for the materials used, and the labor is paid for when it's been done. Dalton, do you care to chime in on this?

Nah, you're still a leg-humper...

Just kidding.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Very good points, I have to agree with you and BilliumSS on this one.
BTW... I'm one step ahead of you on the upgrades which is why I'm looking at TT systems. Give me a LITTLE credit Don!

There are a couple other companies who make C5 kits. I know first hand TTi is a pretty good company to do business with, but their C5 kit isn't a very deep breather. STS is another one who will deliver in a timely manor and as promised, but that's not what I'm looking for either. Of course there's always LPE too, but again that's not much of an option. There are a couple others out there. HP looks to have a nice kit, but they have also had some delivery problems... although from what I understand HP is making 14 kits to have on the shelve, which if this is the case sounds VERY attractive. SCT is rumored to have something in the works which looks very similar to the HP kit, so that is another possibility. A&A is coming out with a top mount TT kit which isn't all that much different than the PTK kit... the quality is TOP NOTCH and made of SS. I don't think anyone can go wrong dealing with Andy... I'll have to see when that's due to be released. It looks like there are several new options coming up for C5 kits.
You mean HP Performance finally has made the parts we could never get for the C5 we built? http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=26 I personally have to see it to believe it... Bob
Old 09-22-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RW99

So you ordered over 3months ago and no kit? What could possibly be taking so long?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

At the onset, it was clear that there'd be at least two months of waiting. I can't comment on what specifically bottlenecks the process; maybe Jose or Dalton could enlighten you. It's my understanding that obtaining some of the popular turbos (eg T76) held up a few orders. Mine's a T67, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

W00t W00t W00t

After my bitching and ranting, it seems there is a user here with a BRAND NEW PTK kit w/a big-ole 76gts unit that was to be sold.

So guess what I did....

That's right, I've secured my future in the FI crowd....

I planned on something smaller, looks like the stock short-block will be coming out after all... It's a shame to have to rip out a long block with less than 20K on the clock... Oh well, I'm over it now

-edit-

To the user (ya know who ya R) who is hooking me up.... Thank you VERY MUCH, I can't wait to rip this new (to me) car apart...

Last edited by Frost; 09-22-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Frost
W00t W00t W00t

After my bitching and ranting, it seems there is a user here with a BRAND NEW PTK kit w/a big-ole 76gts unit that was to be sold.

So guess what I did....

I planned on something smaller, looks like the stock short-block will be coming out after all... It's a shame to have to rip out a long block with less than 20K on the clock... Oh well, I'm over it now

Let me get this straight, I ordered mine way back, you just buy one now, and now you will have one? You are NOT on my favorite forum member's list right now.

Just kidding... Seriously, someone really took it for the team, buying it and waiting for it. Then, you come along and buy it? You're one lucky ****.

Congrats!

I remember this kit selling, almost offered money for it myself. What would I have done with two? Hmmmm...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Let me get this straight, I ordered mine way back, you just buy one now, and now you will have one? You are NOT on my favorite forum member's list right now.

Just kidding... Seriously, someone really took it for the team, buying it and waiting for it. Then, you come along and buy it? You're one lucky ****.

Congrats!

I remember this kit selling, almost offered money for it myself. What would I have done with two? Hmmmm...

Heh, well I was VERY lucky.... I am aware of how much so...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not getting mine RIGHT NOW either; I have to wait about a month.

I have ALOT of other items that need to be purchased in the meantime.

I hope to have it all together by Christmas.

.....Oh yeah... Someone told me up front to take the estimate I had on my FI install and then multiply it by 2.

....I did and it wasn't enough.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Some nice comments Wet 1. Where in CT are you?

I know nothing about PTK, but why could they possibly want all the money up front? Stop taking orders and only take deposits to secure a place in line.

Does anyone remember Incon 5 years ago? Maybe not. I was one of the lucky ones who ordered early enough. This was a very well established company making Mustang kits.

Something is very wrong with all money up front, coupled with people not getting kits for many months.

Getting the hottest turbo kit clouds one's judgement. You have to look at it like Wet 1.

Maybe they just need some time to get through a backlog, and maybe that extra person will help. Be patient. Wait to order. Your car will last a long time. If delivery improves, jump on it, if not, stay away.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
.....Oh yeah... Someone told me up front to take the estimate I had on my FI install and then multiply it by 2.
....I did and it wasn't enough.
i said at least 2 times, maybe 3
Old 09-24-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mark C
Some nice comments Wet 1. Where in CT are you?

I know nothing about PTK, but why could they possibly want all the money up front? Stop taking orders and only take deposits to secure a place in line.

Does anyone remember Incon 5 years ago? Maybe not. I was one of the lucky ones who ordered early enough. This was a very well established company making Mustang kits.

Something is very wrong with all money up front, coupled with people not getting kits for many months.

Getting the hottest turbo kit clouds one's judgement. You have to look at it like Wet 1.

Maybe they just need some time to get through a backlog, and maybe that extra person will help. Be patient. Wait to order. Your car will last a long time. If delivery improves, jump on it, if not, stay away.
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for a month or two and see how things are going. Chances are I'll go with another manufacture which can offer some more security with the transaction. I see PTK took down their "status" page right after this thread was started... I guess they are having some computer problems which only effect that one page! I've been looking at other forums and it looks like this isn't just a LSx thing, people are pissed and worried on other brand forums as well (like the Mustang guys). I hope for everybody's sake things improve over a PTK, but as of now no way can I get myself to give them this much money given their current status.

EDIT: Update, I've went with another kit since PTK hasn't been able to offer any security with a transaction. I see they've also modified their 'kit status' page so it now only shows kit number and % completed, so you can no longer see how long customers have been waiting for their kits and how backlogged they are. Just WAY to risky for me!

Last edited by Wet 1; 12-04-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

I'm currently getting ripped off by PTK as I type. I ordered a kit and it's taken months to deliver. I finally got it a week or two ago and they say no turbo unit has come in yet, BS!! SO, I buy my own turbo unit so the customer doesn't have to wait any longer, and now they owe me a refund for the original turbo unit.
It's been almost another month and still no refund. I guess they are going out of business because Greg said he would have half the check to me two weeks ago and the other half when they get in a few orders from other customers. F@#cking great! Now they are using other money to refund me.

my experience sucked with PTK and I want my money!

I actually got their address in New Braunfels and I'm going to pay them a visit and see if I can get my refund!

As of now, I can't get a hold of Greg, no return emails and I can never get anyone on the phone.

oh well,
allen

Quick Reply: PTK, how stable are they?