Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

QUESTIONS FOR ROB RAYMER

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUESTIONS FOR ROB RAYMER

I have read the post about the street strip turbo package you are putting together. You stated that it could produce 500 hp on a stock application with no problems. What about the stock trans that will probably go down like a cheap hooker after a few passes? The rearend is also another weak point. Are you coming up with a trans package or a rearend package? Also,I usually head up to Speed INC to get parts and run my car on his dyno. I have been hearing about your new shop in southern IN. I have been wanting to come down to check out the shop. I would be a little closer for me and I have been wanting to see the Turbo LS1 in action. Do you also have an in house dyno?
Old 02-23-2002, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: QUESTIONS FOR ROB RAYMER

[quote]Originally posted by BOOSTJUNKY69:
<strong>What about the stock trans that will probably go down like a cheap hooker after a few passes? The rearend is also another weak point. Are you coming up with a trans package or a rearend package? Also,I usually head up to Speed INC to get parts and run my car on his dyno. I have been hearing about your new shop in southern IN. I have been wanting to come down to check out the shop. I would be a little closer for me and I have been wanting to see the Turbo LS1 in action. Do you also have an in house dyno?</strong><hr></blockquote>

"Cheap hooker"? Now that's funny...Anyway, you are absolutely correct. The stock A4 tranny will fail eventually with the added TQ. We are working on a solution for this as well. In fact, we have been testing a heavily modified A4 trans in my Asst. Mgr's '99 TA for a couple of months now. There are several reasons why the stock A4 doesn't hold up. Believe it or not, a big percentage of the reason is due to the PCM itself. We have modified multiple areas of the Transmission controls, and so far have seen excellent results. Once we are confident that the trans will be able to hold 450-500 rwhp, we will begin offering them to the public. With a good core, we expect pricing to be $2250, including the computer reprogram by Ed Wright @ Fastchip (and yes, that can also include any other PCM changes you desire at no extra charge).

As far as rear ends, we are still offering the Moser bolt-in units. Either 12 Bolt or 9inch, with or without ABS & TCC.

I've met Tom at Speed Inc, and he seems like a great guy. Your benefit to going there, would be his Dyno service. We don't have an in-house dyno, but we do have a dyno about 15 minutes away, that's basically at our disposal. On Friday we received our confirmation on Insurance and permits for doing installs at our new location. We'll begin taking appointments this week. You are more than welcome to stop by anytime. We are about 100 miles from the I-65/465 Interchange.

Hope that helps,

[ February 23, 2002: Message edited by: Rob Raymer ]</p>
Old 02-23-2002, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply Rob. I will try to plan a road trip as soon as my work allows. Who will be turning the wrenches at your new shop?
Old 02-23-2002, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Hey Boost Junky....do you have heads and cam or still running a stock motor? I was thinking of doing heads and cam next before doing the forced induction thing.....I was also thinking of making the drive up to Chicago......

Thanks,

Robert Gallman
Dayton, OH

2000 WS6 TA T-Tops, silver metallic, CAGS!, 6-speed, CAT!, STAR clutch, whisper lid, K&N air filter, SLP loud mouth, Pro5.0 shifter, 4:11 gear, graphite leather, Monsoon sound, SuperChips programming.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Special Fella,
This is a new project of mine, but I am going into it with the knowledge of the 3.8 turbos. If you are going to strip the engine down that far...you should just pluck the whole thing and go through it. This would be the safest and best thing to do if you want to use a turbo on these cars(assuming you do a turbo instead of supercharger). It would then be a good idea to go with lower compression pistons. The heads and cam are very much a good if you have the cash flow. How crazy you intend to get with the cam and heads depends on what you plan on using the car for. The main thing to the program is using the lower compression pistons(forged). You will run more boost of course, but have a greater range before you get knock. Running a turbo on a stock high copression engine usually invites trouble. Your money would be better spent in the trans and rearend area first. Then,I would head towards doing the forced induction project. You can not just bolt on a turbo kit and expect the rest of the car to hold up. I am going through the slow and expensive process of going through the whole driveline to do it up right the first time. That is just my thoughts on the subject. Heading up to Speed INC would be a good idea before you go any further with the project. He can help you decide how big you can go for your budget. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Also Special, I would change the gear to a 3.55 or a 3.73.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Wow! Thanks for the knowledge Boost Junky. I think I might do heads, Jesel rockers, cam and 12 bolt at Speed Inc and then do the power adder. Next winter I will milk the cash tree and hope some dead presidents shake out so I can puta new short block together with forged pistons like you said. What are your thoughts on the gear? I really like the 4:11, but will do the 3.55 or 3.73 if you think that is where I need to go....

Thanks,

Robert Gallman
Dayton, OH

2000 WS6 TA T-Tops, silver metallic, CAGS!, 6-speed, CAT!, STAR clutch, whisper lid, K&N air filter, SLP loud mouth, Pro5.0 shifter, 4:11 gear, graphite leather, Monsoon sound, SuperChips programming. Coming soon: Speed Inc Stage II ported heads, Comp cam, Jesel rockers.

[ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: Special Fella ]</p>
Old 02-24-2002, 08:31 PM
Teching In

With the six speed, I would go with the 3.55 for street/strip and the 3.73 for strip. The 4.11 probably made up for hp that you did not have in the past. It will probably slow you down in most cases after you install the power adder. Unless you are the fastest speed shifter in the land.

Quick Reply: QUESTIONS FOR ROB RAYMER