Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

high boost top end miss?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Too much timing or lack of fuel? How much timing were you running? You should even talk about the power tour honestly, you had a blown h/g.... not a pure example is all.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:53 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my truck over heated the other day. it must have been the megasquirt

oh yeah, i broke my input shaft and my rear end exploded. stupid megasquirt again

i would think a 2400mile road trip with over 25 passes at the track pushing 1000rwhp would sugest some prety good reliability.

when i turn it up to 22psi and run a 150shot and a head gasket lets go i suppose that will be the megasquirts fault too.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too much timing. It was running around 16 degrees of timing, on a 9.3:1 motor, with 91 octane in the tank, and the lowest the wastegate could control was ~10.5 psi. AFR was around 11.4:1 if I remember correctly, I was watching the wideband pretty closely. There wasn't any AUDIBLE detonation, but we all know you don't need to hear it for it to be damaging. That was 100% my fault for not dropping the WOT timing more in anticipation of lower octane fuel.

John, you really need to see a MegaSquirt in action. I'm guessing you have the attitude you do because of its price, and "home-built" nature. It really is an outstanding little box, stable, with a lot of features. Its biggest "downfall' for the LS1 community RIGHT NOW is that it does not control spark. I'm working on making that happen. It already triggers from the factory LS1 crank and cam sensors just fine, plug in and go. Next step is routing spark to the coils, since the MS is currently built to work with distributor ignition and EDIS systems.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all this bickering, dont make me get the banstick out and whoop all you admins with it
ill lock this down in no time.

anyways you got to give the MS credit on what it can do for the price expecially.
BS3 has been set up for an easy install without understanding it as much. But i havent really seen anything BS3 can do that i want that MS can do. Knock control may be one of them but bs3 is still working on it so is MS.
staged injection will be nice, one main reason i got the ms. the upgradabilty.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

diesel geek,
i was unaware of the controlability of the transmissions, apologies
ed
Old 10-14-2005, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
staged injection will be nice, one main reason i got the ms. the upgradabilty.

BS3 has staged injection. It works good
Old 10-14-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes im sure its nice, something id like to have, but being broke i dont have access to BS3 unless your shop wants to donate one to me (dont i get something for free for buying all those parts off you guys )
Old 10-15-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

ok ill bite,
could someone explain the staged injection in a lil better detail please?
thanks
ed
Old 10-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by parish8
my truck over heated the other day. it must have been the megasquirt

oh yeah, i broke my input shaft and my rear end exploded. stupid megasquirt again

i would think a 2400mile road trip with over 25 passes at the track pushing 1000rwhp would sugest some prety good reliability.

when i turn it up to 22psi and run a 150shot and a head gasket lets go i suppose that will be the megasquirts fault too.
And you are still running the MS. You should listen to PSJ.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69firebird
ok ill bite,
could someone explain the staged injection in a lil better detail please?
thanks
ed
AFAIK a staged fuel injection system uses two injectors per cylinder, which can use different types of gas if required. W2W is planning on running a system with pump gas on one set and race gas on the other for their nova project. I would also assume that when you are pushing a lot of power and still want to maintain drivability, two smaller injectors will perform better than one large one.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:08 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by LSONE
AFAIK a staged fuel injection system uses two injectors per cylinder, which can use different types of gas if required. W2W is planning on running a system with pump gas on one set and race gas on the other for their nova project. I would also assume that when you are pushing a lot of power and still want to maintain drivability, two smaller injectors will perform better than one large one.
megasquirt will do that. it has been a feature for years.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

Here's how I see things (from an outside point of view):

1. Parish's setup obviously works, and work well!

2. Going on the Power Tour DOES say something for the reliability, despite
PSJ saying it doesn't.

3. Parish and Brains probably know more about boosted LS1's than PSJ will ever know in his lifetime. I say that because we ALL know PSJ hasn't done any of the work to his own car at all. If Speed Inc closed tomorrow, he'd have to sell his car because he wouldn't know how to work on it. Much less drive it.

4. To take advice from a guy who has taken over 3 years to build a relatively slow racecar, would seem moronic. Parish has made more passes in one week than PSJ has ever made. And I don't think I'm exaggerating there.

5. Finally, of course adding a BS3 would probably take care of a lot of things. But as far as I know, Parish doesn't own a website that brings Vendors business. So telling him he should "find someone to sponsor a BS3 for him", is pretty unlikely. Though it must be nice to have your entire car sponsored by businesses advertising here, and then be able to bash the company that has a GREAT $200 option to a $3000 BS3 system.

I'm not taking this side because I support MS. I actually bought a BS3 system. But if it works, it works. Just like the turbo system on Parish's truck. Everyone has bashed log systems since they came out on LS1's. However, they still seem to be able to prove themselves over and over again. In fact, I'm surprised that nobody has told him his high rpm miss is being cause by the log.

This board could be so much more valuable if only people who actually had "experience" were allowed to answer someone's tech question. Then maybe the doubter's, hater's and those jealous of that person's accomplishment's wouldn't bring such a dark cloud to the topic.

Congrats Parish! Your truck kicks ***. I'm sure you'll get the problem sorted out soon enough. If not, maybe PSJ will sponsor a tune for you.

p.s. I'm using the wife's screename to post this. So don't bash her.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Banned

how about blowing out the spark? Thats a good amount of boost. Smaller gap and more volts possibly?

rick
Old 10-15-2005, 08:02 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
how about blowing out the spark? Thats a good amount of boost. Smaller gap and more volts possibly?

rick
thats the plan, colder plugs with less gap and moe dwell on the coils.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NaughtyGirlTA
Here's how I see things (from an outside point of view):

1. Parish's setup obviously works, and work well!
2. Going on the Power Tour DOES say something for the reliability, despite
PSJ saying it doesn't.
3. Parish and Brains probably know more about boosted LS1's than PSJ will ever know in his lifetime. I say that because we ALL know PSJ hasn't done any of the work to his own car at all. If Speed Inc closed tomorrow, he'd have to sell his car because he wouldn't know how to work on it. Much less drive it.
4. To take advice from a guy who has taken over 3 years to build a relatively slow racecar, would seem moronic. Parish has made more passes in one week than PSJ has ever made. And I don't think I'm exaggerating there.
5. Finally, of course adding a BS3 would probably take care of a lot of things. But as far as I know, Parish doesn't own a website that brings Vendors business. So telling him he should "find someone to sponsor a BS3 for him", is pretty unlikely. Though it must be nice to have your entire car sponsored by businesses advertising here, and then be able to bash the company that has a GREAT $200 option to a $3000 BS3 system.

I'm not taking this side because I support MS. I actually bought a BS3 system. But if it works, it works. Just like the turbo system on Parish's truck. Everyone has bashed log systems since they came out on LS1's. However, they still seem to be able to prove themselves over and over again. In fact, I'm surprised that nobody has told him his high rpm miss is being cause by the log.
This board could be so much more valuable if only people who actually had "experience" were allowed to answer someone's tech question. Then maybe the doubter's, hater's and those jealous of that person's accomplishment's wouldn't bring such a dark cloud to the topic.

Congrats Parish! Your truck kicks ***. I'm sure you'll get the problem sorted out soon enough. If not, maybe PSJ will sponsor a tune for you.

p.s. I'm using the wife's screename to post this. So don't bash her.
curious to why your beating on John when you dont know him, pretty sure he isnt helpless on his car, i think he wired in his old fast, might have done his BS3 also, and a host of otherthings on his car. TO call a 9.60 car relitivly slow, i guess you run 7.00s all day then, hmm, i thought that was fast i must be mistaken. i take it you havent ever built a fast car to know how long it takes. heck ive been out for a little over a year doing my car, and have no idea when it will be fired up again (as it will probably never be complely finished.)
ot say this board isnt as valuble would be crack talk. John and Tony have done a good job in putting togther a techically oriented ls1 board. ya dont like it theres a door
parish has an awsome truck and John has an awsome car as well
no need to get your panties in a bunch we are all friends here anyways
Old 10-17-2005, 11:06 PM
single digit dreamer

i hope to be hiting the track on friday. should be able to report back on this then. single digit?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
curious to why your beating on John when you dont know him, pretty sure he isnt helpless on his car, i think he wired in his old fast, might have done his BS3 also, and a host of otherthings on his car. TO call a 9.60 car relitivly slow, i guess you run 7.00s all day then, hmm, i thought that was fast i must be mistaken.
ot say this board isnt as valuble would be crack talk. John and Tony have done a good job in putting togther a techically oriented ls1 board. ya dont like it theres a door
My panties are right where I want them, thanks.

But how can I not know John? I read nearly every post on this board related to FI. And I also can read how he tends to put people down when their setups don't meet his approval. Which was obviously the case here. He doesn't like the MS, so he puts the entire car (truck) down by saying the MS kept it from even being able to be mentioned as having been in the Power Tour. Something John's car will NEVER be able to do.

I call 9.60 "relatively slow" only because it is. He has been building this car how long? 3-4 years? Many people on this board have built MUCH faster streetcars, some while still driving them almost daily. PSJ doesn't even drive his car and he gets most of his parts nearly free from advertising vendors. Which is why I think he jumps at the opportunity to bash non-vendor items (like the MS) and "suggest" expensive Vendor item he didn't have to pay for (or paid little for). Then he has Speed Inc install all of them, tune it, and practically drive it for him.

Sorry, but you won't convince me he wired anything in his car or did any other grunt work involved. All you have to do is read any of his posts and realize that he doesn't have the knowledge necessary to even pick his own nose, much less his own combination. He uses "Polls" to make nearly every decision about his car that's ever been made! He didn't even know enough to realize that his 1.15 60ft was because HE STAGED ON THE REAR TIRES!! He thought "the 60ft was so good because of his reaction time"!!! LMFAO!!! And he thinks a Full Size 4WD Truck with an IRON BLOCK only weighs "4000lbs with Driver"??? Who else on here would think that?? Anyone? But we are supposed to believe this guy has experience and knowledge? Right.

He has a thick wallet, friends/*** kissers, a public supported message board that has made him tens of thousands of dollars, and the automotive technical intelligence of a 15yr old with a subscription to Hot Rod.

Sure, this is a great site. As long as you go along with everything he or Nineball, or the other Mods say. But as soon as someone disagrees, you want to "show them the door". Why not show them how they "could be wrong", rather than claim as fact that they are wrong, just because they own the board?

My car isn't fast. And it sure doesn't run 7's. But I'm not on here telling everyone else that what they have won't work, just because it's different than what I have. He suggested that the MS had caused Parish's blown HG. Yet, he doesn't mention the fact that he himself had head gasket problems even with FAST and/or BS3. Parish has been forthcoming with EVERYTHING HE'S DONE TO HIS TRUCK! And he's not promoting ANYTHING!

I also don't make stupid suggestions to people with tech problems. Have you actually read some of PSJ's responses???? He's a prime example of the old adage, "better to be silent and thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Oh well, every Village needs one.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:51 AM
Banned

Folks, you just can't make stuff up better than this:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I was just comparing my two slips from Saturday nite, notice anything interesting?

1.15 (redlit I think)

Perhaps Kevvie will just tell me.
Yea, the 7mph difference shouldn't have been any indication of what happened.

But here he thinks he's figured it out:

Never mind, looks like rear wheel start from the transbrake not engaging on the 2nd pass.
HUH?? WTF does that mean? Does that make sense to anyone? Seriously? The transbrake didn't engage so he staged on the rear tires and didn't know it???

And how 'bout this one:

Sure there is... If I could drop 100 lbs out and cut a 1.28 I'd run an 8.xx.
So 100lbs and .07/sec reduction in my 60ft equals 1/2 second quicker in the 1/4 with a 3400+lb car??? AWESOME! So if he cuts out 300lbs and 2/10 second in his 60ft he'll be in the 7's!!!!!!!!!!

Now tell me again why anyone should believe anything he has to say about racing/building cars.

Thanks, but I'll listen to Parish and the Ohio Boys when I want to learn something.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

I've done an install of every EMS listed here except a BS3, and I've seen BS3 in action...

I think we should calm things a bit. All EMSs can do the exact same things. MS happens to be for those who are comfortable being in greater control of their engine management, the tradeoff for extended functionality (I can make an MS answer my cell phone if I want it to) are having to be more knowledgable about the electronics and software required for engine management.

Anyone trash talking MS shouldn't really be listened to, but I don't think PSJ is seriously bashing the MS. If he is, I have yet to hear any real factoids that point out where MS fails us where BS3 wouldn't. In fact, in viewing Meaney's BS3 software at Bowling Green, I saw a number of bugs in the user interface that "are being worked on" which were pretty gay. I hope this doesn't turn into a feature-by-feature battle (had enough of those on our local boards, LOL).

MY philosophy is this: TUNE IT YOUR WAY. The results will speak for themselves!! After over 60 EMSs built with my own hands, I'm confident in the "weapon" I've chosen for battle, and the results here in Omaha seem to be speaking for themselves,

-scott
Old 10-18-2005, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Naughtygirl sounds like some dumbass troll account, maybe we should do an IP trace.

FWIW, all my parts cost between cost and retail. Nothing on my car, absolutely nothing, was free. Back in 1998-2000 I helped do 4 h/c swaps, did my own 9", and did all of my old bolt-ins. Sadly, after getting married, having a son, and co-running two businesses I have been more of a drop-it-off kinda guy and it does suck. And if I have time this weekend to run again I will crank off a 9.29 you dummy.

*Edit*

And my comments to Brain are like this. When someone talks about a custom wired in controller, but they also lost a head gasket around then too, to me the whole experiment has become a flawed example. I have very high regard for Brian but I have always tried to be fair.

Oh and naughtynutbag, who do you think put the good word in for Parish/Jim initially with HotRod? I told Stephen Kim about his truck quite a while ago and got them to follow up with Jim. I hardly think that Jim would like you bashing me in here.

topic/
Anyway, if Parish/Jim increases the dwell time of the coils, that would hopefully removed ignition as an issue.

Quick Reply: high boost top end miss?