Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS keeps blowing off a pipe and shredding couplers, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Billy/bs56f100 is a good friend of mine from back home larry, i will get more info for ya
Old 10-04-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a POS, you guys are just doing something wrong.

I am sure you will get it figured out.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol...you guys just dont know what your doing..the STS kit is proven turbo kit and not hard to install...sounds like a messed up install, bad tuning and an inexperienced shop that cant help a customer...its shouldnt be hard for a skilled mechanic to troubleshoot his problem...imho

Originally Posted by CAT3
I think sell the POS STS and go to Hi Flo Street Killer, GForce/Phamspeed, or NITROUS (My favorite ).
Old 10-05-2005, 12:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by socalstreetracer
lol...you guys just dont know what your doing..the STS kit is proven turbo kit and not hard to install...sounds like a messed up install, bad tuning and an inexperienced shop that cant help a customer...its shouldnt be hard for a skilled mechanic to troubleshoot his problem...imho

WOW
Old 10-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Restricted User

I'm taking your post with a grain of salt at best, as I do like FI, but I am avid Nitrous junkie and Tuning Novice at best and was an inside joke with Larry.
I havent spent anytime under the car to "troubleshoot" the issue, but I'd consider myself pretty competent so will be checking it out when my time and his permits. Not hard to install for someone able to identify theres some info missing on the wiring diagram sure, the rest is easy enough I imagine, although I really didnt help. Proven, it has been yes...repeatable performance I still have yet to see. I can count on one hand the number of ppl running an STS that really made some impressive times at the track, which before you or anyone replies Dyno #'s mean **** to Larry or myself. So out of your oh so enlightening reply, I take the hit for "bad tune", and I was referring to it as being safely conservative? Drats...And I do appreciate the info you shared

So, all these replies and so far no one skilled enough to find the problem? Great, now we're fucked!
Old 10-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Blackbird
why does that one pipe have a huge dent in it then?

it would take some serious effort to rip them clean apart like that, very weird.

will be interesting to hear what the problem ends up being. Next time you put it back together I would put the car in the air and run the rear suspension thru it's full travel up and down and check things out.

When the coupler blew off, both times, the dogleg left the car, exiting out from behind no problem...but the over axle pipe ended up banging the ground and slamming its way over the axle and benig beat to **** basically. Crude, but thats the best way to describe it. I had to cut the remaining silicone the first time, and unwrap the pipe from the axle as it was twisted and dented.
Oddly enough, I am thinking there is a combo thing going on here:

1) Lack of beading on the pipes

2) lack of BOV for pressure relief

3) possible hitting of suspension

Will get it on a lift this w/e and check everything out, including suspension travel etc..
Old 10-05-2005, 01:41 AM
10 Second Club

What are people with STS turbo's running in F-bodies anyway?
Old 10-05-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol I was one of the main people to help with the install and it IS RIGHT! lol there is no way you can put the piping on wrong as far as i can see! Only thing that i can think of is it moving around to much with the suspension travel or it may need another hanger added!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

I will also consider this just **** talking: I dont know how you could mess up the install on the parts in question. If you can put together Legos you can put together this kit. It looks just like the pics provided with the instructions, on there website, and on peoples cars here. As for troubleshooting: If it was that easy how come Squires is stumped and cant give me an answer why even after pics were sent of the install and pipes. How can you trouble shoot something that only happens at full boost and leaves no signs other then shreaded silicone from blowing apart and dents from flying down the road. If you want to come ride under my car and let me know whats up I will set you up with a good hospital to stay in.
As for a past post asking about wiring of the boost controller even STS apoligized for there diagram being wrong. The instructions had more wires then the harness they sent and they forgot to include another one. Not my fault.

Bad tuning: Not true! Safe and slow tuning yes. He is learning as he goes and if he was not competent then he wouldnt be touching my car.

Inexperienced shop: We dont have a Squires dealer in Hawaii. This was all self completed. We dont have the luxury of getting things done for us here.

In closing I appreciate your help in troubleshooting but your honest opinion needs to ask the facts before forming one.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lrry93
Now that looks nice! Did you custom fab that up?

Yea I like to do everything myself. The smaller ones on the intercooler are from a circle track shop that goes to the steering. They are all 1/4" rod ends. The stainless ones that you can see come from a marine shop and are 1/4" turnbuckles. They are not cheap @ $34 a peice, but they shure look alot better than the other ones. I promise you the pipes wont come apart if you put something like these on there, but if its a silicone problem then it might still expand and pop unless the pipes are touching and the turnbuckle is on tight. Maybe one on each side so you can tighten it up without it cocking to one side. Hope it helps, and I didnt know this was daniels buddy. I didnt notice the tag said Hawaii. Nice lookin car, oh yea and watch for daniel he'll try and polish everything on your car!!! Just kiddin he's a great guy, and will help you with anything.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

What Island are you guys on?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackbird
What Island are you guys on?

Oahu
Old 10-05-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Cool, I will have to try to remember to give you guys a shout next time I am there.

My in-laws live there. Windward side. Would be fun to meet you guys and perhaps help out if I can. Been dinking around with FI LS1's for a number of years now.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.phfba.net/
Old 10-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Launching!

All I will say is good luck...oh and I will post my timeslip big and bold just for you...and it wont be a 13 trust me
Old 10-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Banned

Default Wow

Originally Posted by CAT3
I think sell the POS STS and go to Hi Flo Street Killer, GForce/Phamspeed, or NITROUS (My favorite ).
I agree with him
If i had to do it over again i would just get a nitrous shot cam/heads .. I have never seen silicone hose explode like that it doesnt looked rubb it looks ruptured.. It looks like its gonna cost yah everytime that happens too thats messed up! is it possible your overtightening the clamps?? and they are cutting into the hose . maybe get some t bolt clamps. I purchased my setup
from billy at texas rear turbos and he mostly had those tbolt clamps
on everthing. they hold tight and wouldnt sever the silicone hose.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is an issue with how its installed thats making that happen. I have intstalled "more than my share" and have never had that issue no matter what clamps I used.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:05 PM
ZRS
Teching In

Originally Posted by trtturbo
There is an issue with how its installed thats making that happen. I have intstalled "more than my share" and have never had that issue no matter what clamps I used.
What issue are you talking about ? How can that be avoided ?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Teching In

For what ever reason the pics will not display for me. But from the descriptions I am reading something is definately wrong. At a minimum those couplers are should hold up to 60psi. At least the ones I got from www.stylinmotors.com are. What kind of clamps are you using? I have seen those regular hose clamps (the ones with the gears in them) tear silicone up before. Especially if they were tightened too much. From the descriptions I read they sound like they exploded or were ripped up by a fan or other fast moving part. There has got to be something tearing them up. Sharp edges. Heavy duty twisting from extreme torque, or bad clamps is all I can think of. Either that or your boost is like 120psi. LOL Maybe?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Restricted User

All I will say is good luck...oh and I will post my timeslip big and bold just for you...and it wont be a 13 trust me
I'll be waiting! No offense intended from any post from me, but, looking through pages of STS stuff I see few of them running really good numbers. I do contribute most of that to the entire setup, gears, tires, stall, 60' etc. I hope you do run some excellent numbers, seriously.

Now, onto the exploding silicone! Yes, if the pics dont load, it is like there is some big obstruction, building pressure so much it literally bursts, ripping the silicone and bears reinforcement threads hanging!
Known things:
1) Boost doesnt spike past 8psi (or basically more than 1 lb over setting).

2) No BOV

3) Obviously the car doesnt seem to be getting the power to the ground, he's running 13.1, at 7psi. I run 11.7x NA! Same gears near same 60'.

I guess I need to just get under the car and look around and see whats up. I appreciate all the replies, even the seemingly defense inducing ones

Thanks,

Charlie

Quick Reply: STS keeps blowing off a pipe and shredding couplers, HELP!!!