Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

rain storm in ri car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rain storm in ri car wont start

i was out in ri last night and when we were heading home we came outside and it was "monsoon" rain outside....needless to say the roads were full of water about the height of the floorboard....i have the low suction for the procharger and as i was coming off the light i hit this deep puddle and the car started stalling...so i tried to slowly move but the car ended up stalling...im thining i just lost my air suction but people are telling me i got water in my intake...i dont think it was that deep, but if i got a little water in my intake and i try to start the car again would that cause any damage? i mean i wasnt flying through the puddle and the car just stalled so i dont think theres any water in there at all just wanna know if i should take any precautions....i have heard storys of guys driving through deep puddles and blowing their motors.....that would make me very unhappy......any help would be appreciated
Old 10-09-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

if it did suck water, insurance will cover the damages
Old 10-09-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down

dry the maf out,and just to be safe,pull the plugs befor you crank it,so if there is water in there you wont hydro lock it and bend a rod
Old 10-09-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by squirrel masta
dry the maf out,and just to be safe,pull the plugs befor you crank it,so if there is water in there you wont hydro lock it and bend a rod

Ditto and check your oil too. Pray you don't Break a rod...trust me, it sucks.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drain your oil, pull your plugs, and stick a heat gun in your intake and crank your engine over a few times.. Dont rush to get your engine running, let it dry out..
Old 10-10-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

these are the responses i wanted to hear...ty i had some people tellin me my motor is done because of the water, i was like wtf its not like i ran it through the water at 3k rpm and it sucked it in full of water....it just bogged down and stalled, now it wont turn over...tomorrow when i get out of work im gonna take the sc lines down and see if water is in there, then im gonna take the maf out to check that too....just to be on the safe side ill pull the plugs and crank it manually....
Old 10-10-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 68ss_00ss_87_95
these are the responses i wanted to hear...ty i had some people tellin me my motor is done because of the water, i was like wtf its not like i ran it through the water at 3k rpm and it sucked it in full of water....it just bogged down and stalled, now it wont turn over...tomorrow when i get out of work im gonna take the sc lines down and see if water is in there, then im gonna take the maf out to check that too....just to be on the safe side ill pull the plugs and crank it manually....

Yeah, happened to me. twice. I learned when driving the car daily to keep a screw driver with me so when it was going to rain, just take off the tubes at the collector and sit them aside..incase the blower did suck water up. Then let it dry out for a few days before putting them back on. I lived in an area where water laying on the roads/quick dips/etc where water just laid there sucked. Now I have a daily driver and a turbo, so I don't run into those issues anymore.

Do what others have posted and you should be fine as long as you didn't break a rod. good luck to you, let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: rain storm in ri car wont start