Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Turbocharger limitations

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocharger limitations

Just to start a bit of what i am saying and numbers im saying are all examples and are in no way based on any actual numbers.

Ok i was wondering if anyone could clarify on a question i have. Most turbo systems state that a certain turbo can make up to a certain amount of horsepower. So lets say they are saying that a turbo can make up to 850 horsepower. What is limiting the turbo to that amount of power. Is it the boost it will make. Now what if i was to put that same turbo on a 427 LS-1. Wouls it still be limited to only 850 horsepower. Or would it make the same boost as before, but now the bigger cubes make a ton more power and it still spools up really fast cause its a smaller turbo.

So can anyone explain to me the relationship between turbo limitations on power, cubic inches, and boost on the turbo.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok, this will be a brief explanation with theoretical numbers.

A 850hp turbo will only make 850hp at max efficiency, all depending on what cubic inch engine this turbo is attached to. To large of cubic inches means backpressure goes up and the efficiency of the turbo drops. So now your 850 hp turbo will only make 700. Boost measurement is not an indication of hp. PSI is simply a restriction in the system. 10 psi on a 427ci engine is a total different volume of air then 10 psi on a 183 Supra engine. Also we are neglecting alot of other variants that play a role, but for the sake of making it simple, all variables being the same those things mentioned above are your most influential factors to making hp with X size turbo.

JZ
Old 10-21-2005, 05:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbos are are pumps, they can only flow a certain amount of air.
most turbos flow more at higher pressure (psi's) a bigger engine will flow the more then a smaller engine, thus taking less psi to make the same amout of power. since that is the case a smaller engine which will take more psi to make the same power with its coresponding turbocharger, it will make more peak power with that turbo charger because it will most likely be better suited in the effeciency range of the turbo (where it is pumping out cooler air to make more power)
Old 10-21-2005, 09:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Correct. Effective compression of the air vs consumption is what gives you the efficiency. With a big cubic inch engine, this is hard to achieve without a big turbo.

JZ
Old 10-21-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Oh ok i get it. I should have been able to figure that out on my own. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Turbocharger limitations