Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost gauge not working anymore??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boost gauge not working anymore??

I just got my car out of the shop and the boost gauge doesnt work now? The gauge lites up but the gauge stays at zero. I pulled the gauge out of the pillar and all the connections are there. Does anyone know why this could have happened or what to look for such as where the vaccum line might not be connected. I looked today and cant find any line disconnected. Any help would be appreciated. The car went to the shop for new plugs and re-calibrating the gauges.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Boost gauge not working anymore??

So did you actually trace from the vacuum source all the way to where the plastic tube connects to the gauge? They could have connected it back to the wrong spot, damaged the line, let it rest against the exhaust and burned it, etc, etc.

It sounds like it's not reading vacuum, either, right? It just doesn't sound like the gauge would just quit like that.

If for some reason you can't trace the whole line, just for a test, take the guage out and connect it directly to a vacuum source with a short length of tubing and see if you get a vacuum reading.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:33 AM
11 Second Club

is it a mechanical or electronic guage? mechanical: cracked, pinched, disconnected, or otherwise damaged line. remove the line at the guage and start the engine. you should feel vaccum on it. electronic: same things as mechanical plus: electronics failure or broken wire.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a mechanical gauge, there is no vaccum or or boost. It does seem weird that it would just stop working. What would the gauge have anything to do with the plugs being replaced? (having the tube be in the way)
Old 02-16-2003, 02:57 AM
11 Second Club

depends where the line taps into the manifold. they may have knocked it off somehow. just find where it connects on the intake and put it back together. if it is leaking and you have decent hearing (unlike myself) you should hear it sucking air while it is idling. you may even notice a higher, surging, or poor idle.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:14 AM

Oh... you don't have an Autometer gauge?
The ones I'm familiar with have vacuum AND boost on the dial.

I hear anything other than Autometer are famous for being poor quality. May sound like hype... but, that's what I've read from guys that have bought gauges other than the Autometer.

Maybe you should get one. Only 35 to 45 bucks, depending on where you get it. And, having vacuum readings is helpfult, too. You always know if the gauge is working, even while cruising, and it helps you detect other problems.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry about the confusion, I do have an Auto Meter gauge. I found the problem, The capillary tube blew out under boost and decided to hide itself behind the ABS box. I was looking at the rubber vaccum line, and it looks like the vaccum line and the capillary tube are only being held together by zip ties. I dont think it will hold, any ideas of what to use, I cant seem to find a small enough clamp.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:27 AM

Zip-tied tightly enough, it should hold.

But, you SHOULD be able to find a small enough screw clamp. They make those things where they can almost have no diameter space. You have to find the right design where it distrubutes the clamping equally around the tube.

Quick Reply: Boost gauge not working anymore??