Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

are these parts necessary for turbos

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default are these parts necessary for turbos

ok guys i need a little help first off is it necessary to have a blow off valve i called innovative turbo and they said it wasnt necessary and that i would be ok. also how about a turbo timer everyone tells me i need one but is it necessary? i mean as long as i let my car cool down and let the turbos cool some it will be ok right? i will be ordering a alarm and it will have an option to keep the car running for 2 minutes after i get out will that be sufficient to cool the turbos down?

tia

marc
Old 03-05-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: are these parts necessary for turbos

it depends on how much boost your running when using a BOV, Id get one if your using over 5psi.
ou dont need a turbotimer. Just let it cool for a minute after a hard run.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

ok so i should invest in a blow off valve i am auto but i dont know how much boost i'm going to run in the beginning

marc
Old 03-06-2003, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Incon twin kit does not have a blow off I was going to get one but don't think I want that loud blow off! As far as the timer it is not needed but I am going to get one It is easyer to just jump out of the car! And it is a small price to pay $40-$100.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

turbo timer- I would never waste the money on one. Why cause I know where I am going and if I am playing around in boost hard i chill when i am about 5-10 mins out and putt putt in.

Blow off valve- I personally like them for a safety but at the low psi that ls1's see i do not see it as a problem. Cheap insurance though as you can get a used on on supraforums for like 60 bucks at times and if you don't like the noice just route it back into the system and it will muffle it

Steven
Old 03-06-2003, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm on my forth turbo car. Here's what I know:

Turbo timer...

"Putt-Putt" your car to a dark area at night after just cruising lightly, NO boosting. Look at the exhaust housings. Yes! They are glowing red. Look again after two minutes (which is adequate for cool down). They're not glowing now.

It's up to you, but timers ARE totally necessary, especially for those of us without watercooled center-sections.

BOV-
With an auto, no. Not necessary because A4 drivers don't slam the throttle blade shut EVERY gear, where M6s do.
IF you hear compressor surge (like a chatter from the turbo) on ocassion, you may need a BOV, but with the volume of the pipes and I/C between the turbo and TB, it's REALLY unlikely that you ever shock the turbo.

JMO (sorry zturbo)

SC-

<small>[ March 06, 2003, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: SS00Blue ]</small>
Old 03-06-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

ok but doesnt all a turbo timer do is cool down the turbos when you turn the car off or what some one educate me

marc
Old 03-07-2003, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey no need to be sorry dude. This board is for knowledge. I don't feel it is needed but that is me. I have more than one turbo car so this isn't new either.

Steven

Quick Reply: are these parts necessary for turbos