Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GMR SPEED twin turbo ......

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Joel@

Originally Posted by disassembled
What are the plans for air inlet? I have a CAS twin turbo kit and it's just a pain to change spark plugs, pain to take the kit off, i have run long pipes for the air inlet so i can fit some decent sized filters, etc. What kit of oil drain are you planning? gravity? Are the manifolds tubular or log? all pipes (including charge and air inlet) above the k member? I have some pics of what a twin turbo can look like installed on an F-body and it isn't too pretty from an efficiency stand point. What i do retain is this..... ALL accessories in the STOCK locations and that's why i went with my kit even if it may be prone to cracking (log mani's) and have small turbos (t3/t4's). The biggest things i did to my car to have the kit fit better was a tubular k member and i had to enlargen a hole in my passenger side frame for the To4e comp housing to fit. Did you guys want to do two small IC's or one big one (i have a huge vertical flow IC). Let me know if you want to see my setup to get some ideas or see what needs to be done. My kit is nowhere near where i would want it to be but it should be fine for having fun.

Also i suggest you should talk to Jose about the turbosmart 38mm WG's. They kept his pt88 down to like 5 PSI with a single 38 MM WG when a tial would bounce between 9 and 12. They also have a master power T70 turbo that's a t3/t4.
The air inlets are going most likely going to be in front of the tires in the wheel well. The filters are going to k&n cone filters that are 10in long.The oil drain is going to be gravity feed.The manifold is a combination of both log and tubular. All pipes are going to be above the k-member. The intercooler is still up in the air. Most likely one front mount....If you want send me some pics at sales@gmrspeed.com Thanks Joel

Last edited by Joel@GMRSPEED; 11-04-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would battery relocation buy you guys more room on the Pass. side? Just a suggestion. I would do that no problem. Also would do fuse box relocation if it was easy.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Joel@

Originally Posted by BLASTER
Would battery relocation buy you guys more room on the Pass. side? Just a suggestion. I would do that no problem. Also would do fuse box relocation if it was easy.
You will not have to relocate the battery if you go with the A to A intercooler. The fuse boxes are staying in the factory spot. Less things to move the better it will be. Thanks Joel
Old 11-04-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
A single turbo is not a twin turbo. You can't price a twin turbo w/a single turbo. You are buying (2) of the most expensive parts on there instead of (1) THE TURBO.
Really? Huh, who would have guessed...

A properly sized single turbo kit will make plenty of power. So why go twin? Realistically, the only reason that someone would buy a twin kit over a single kit is WOW factor. There is just extra headache involved in having twins that does not make it worth the effort for 99% of the people out there (plumbing, parts, twice as much to go wrong).

I had a twin setup first (Incon) and if I could go back in time and do it all over again I would go with a single setup that offered room to grow the first time.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but this kit is not designed just for you. Not everyone wants a single. Some people like the wow factor. Some people want a quicker spool. Maybe autocrossing. Some people just flat out like twin turbo's better. Why don't you talk to Harlan about twin turbo's? Sometimes twins will fit better than a large single. Probably the biggest reason people would go single is price. I'm looking for this poll of what would you have if you had the money. I believe there were more twin turbo choices than anything else. If there was no demand for a twin turbo why do I see a thread created at least once a week on where can I get a twin turbo kit, or something related? Check out the first 4 cars on the 2005 boosted list, you might be suprised to see that they are all....TWIN...turbo.

Don't get me wrong a proper single turbo will make plenty of power, however, twin's do have their place.

Last edited by 777; 11-04-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats why i want twins. . ill admit it i want to show a lil but . . i want a car that makes power . . so twins was the way to go for me. . either way its all bout making power. . who cares how u do it. . oh by (off topic) u live in northridge??
Old 11-04-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

A poll where people choose what they would buy if price were not an option is simply not realistic. See if you ever see a real marketing survey that doesn't have price point questions worked into the matix...won't happen.

My original comment stands. For the most part the f-body crowd is very price conscious, a $7500 twin kit will NOT sell very well...especially when you have to lose A/C. There are too many options out there that offer similar performance at a lower price.

You see those threads asking for twins...but how many of those people do you think will shell out the $$$ for a kit??? I'd be willing to bet that it is a very very small number, that shrinks even more when they realize that they need to lose accessories.

Twins can make great power, no question there...Just to nit-pick though , the 4 top cars on the list are not TT. The CE is a single turbo car and recently went in the 8s. In addition, the Ohio Boys car (which is not on the list but has run in the low 8s) is a single. The Hardcore car running on a blower is also faster then everything but the W2W car and I believe that it is a blower/nitrous combo.

GMR, didn't mean to get the thread off track...just posting my thoughts on the pricing and the loss of A/C. I'm done

Last edited by Phate; 11-04-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Joel@

Originally Posted by Phate
A poll where people choose what they would buy if price were not an option is simply not realistic. See if you ever see a real marketing survey that doesn't have price point questions worked into the matix...won't happen.

My original comment stands. For the most part the f-body crowd is very price conscious, a $7500 twin kit will NOT sell very well...especially when you have to lose A/C. There are too many options out there that offer similar performance at a lower price.

You see those threads asking for twins...but how many of those people do you think will shell out the $$$ for a kit??? I'd be willing to bet that it is a very very small number, that shrinks even more when they realize that they need to lose accessories.

Twins can make great power, no question there...Just to nit-pick though , the 4 top cars on the list are not TT. The CE is a single turbo car. In addition, the Ohio Boys car (which is not on the list but has run in the low 8s) is a single. The Hardcore car running on a blower is also faster then everything but the W2W car and I believe that it is a blower/nitrous combo.

GMR, didn't mean to get the thread off track...just posting my thoughts on the pricing and the loss of A/C. I'm done
Thats ok...everybodys input is appreciated. I do agree that $7500 is alot of money. Im not saying that its going to be that much,but I dont want to say its going to be $5000 and it ends up being $6500. As for the AC we ar estill working on that. Thanks Joel
Old 11-04-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phate

Twins can make great power, no question there...Just to nit-pick though , the 4 top cars on the list are not TT. The CE is a single turbo car and recently went in the 8s. In addition, the Ohio Boys car (which is not on the list but has run in the low 8s) is a single. The Hardcore car running on a blower is also faster then everything but the W2W car and I believe that it is a blower/nitrous combo.

I didn't think the ce was a twin turbo due to it's spec's but figured maybe it was since it is TwnTrboCE. Harlan's car ain't on the list either. I know what you are saying and I 100% agree that for the typical turbo ls1 a single is plenty. With the technology out today and the 346ci v8 turbo lag isn't that much of a problem with a single. I'm just saying I think the kit will serve it's purpose. Even if it's not the biggest, best seller. I think there still should be a twin turbo kit available.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 777
Kind of off-topic but I'm getting tired of seeing comments that are like your kit is a big rip-off of this kit and so on. There are only so many ways to make a turbo kit for an F-body. Almost every kit will look similar to another one, even if one is superior to the other.
Im not sure what comments you are talking about, the twin kit is going to be nice and there really arent pics up of it yet.

However his single kit, isnt kinda a rip off, it is Robs old Stainless works kit.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the one from this thread, I won't even start to mention the other ones in the other threads. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=29
Old 11-04-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

you know what though, rob when he designed the QMP kit actually had purschased a TTi kit and build off of that. He then sent that one tha he had haceked together to Stainless work to be made in quanitity for him.

Poeple are not complaining, they are mearly stating facts.

GMR is selling QMPs turbo kit, that is made by stainles works now that rob is out of business
Old 11-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Joel@

Originally Posted by 69firebird
you know what though, rob when he designed the QMP kit actually had purschased a TTi kit and build off of that. He then sent that one tha he had haceked together to Stainless work to be made in quanitity for him.

Poeple are not complaining, they are mearly stating facts.

GMR is selling QMPs turbo kit, that is made by stainles works now that rob is out of business
Well thats part of the truth. I tried to stay out of this b/c I know its a sore subject. Couple of years ago I myself worked at stainless works. The single turbo kit that we sell was made thier. The reason that we are selling this kit is, b/c I built it when I worked their. Yes rob did bring it to them in chopped up, in many pieces and we made them work, but how many other ways is there to make a log maifold. When I worked thier we had weeks of designing that kit to make it what it is today. I did change the intercooler setup and the wastegate that he used. They do produce these for us as we need them. Stainless works is a great company to deal with. AL has went through alot with this kit, that most people dont even know about.

Now with that said...the Twin turbo kit I am making. Is from scratch at our shop. Will keep you all posted on its progress...THanks Joel
Old 11-05-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joel@GMRSPEED
Well thats part of the truth. I tried to stay out of this b/c I know its a sore subject. Couple of years ago I myself worked at stainless works. The single turbo kit that we sell was made thier. The reason that we are selling this kit is, b/c I built it when I worked their. Yes rob did bring it to them in chopped up, in many pieces and we made them work, but how many other ways is there to make a log maifold. When I worked thier we had weeks of designing that kit to make it what it is today. I did change the intercooler setup and the wastegate that he used. They do produce these for us as we need them. Stainless works is a great company to deal with. AL has went through alot with this kit, that most people dont even know about.

Now with that said...the Twin turbo kit I am making. Is from scratch at our shop. Will keep you all posted on its progress...THanks Joel
I understand what you are saying, I herd some of what Stainless works went though. I do agree there are only so many ways to make a log kit on these cars.

this is why I hated to post what I did, you guys are making a great kit especially for the price. HOwever the other guy was saying you were not copying anyone else, when in fact it is an exact copy of QMP/Stainless works kit.

i do not begrudge you any for using it

ed
Old 11-06-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take good care of my ride Joel. Can't wait to see some progress info/pics on the twin kit!
Old 12-06-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back from the dead... Alright guys, surely you have some updates on the twin kit along with pics as well?.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

7500 no way will that sell.
it better keep the ac and ps for starters.
it should be capable of 7-800 hp at the base level.
all components should be top of the line such as piping (stainless steel), clamps,.
maybe include the fuel system too?

bottom line, it better be high quality, durable and priced affordable. It seems like a new company every other week is developing a new turbo kit. A lot of our members been burned so far with new kits that come out so expect a lot of reluctance.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
all components should be top of the line such as piping (stainless steel), clamps,.
As far as I know the kit does keep ps but not ac.
The twin PTE61S are capable of nearly 1400hp.
All piping is SS as are Tclamps and Vbands.

These guys already have their foot in the door with their affordably priced single turbo kit at $3600. And I believe there is one or two members on this board running them.

Just putting what little info I know about the kit up until they step in to update us.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya i wanna see sum pic's too . . or some more info on how ever thing is going to be set up . .
Old 12-06-2005, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM

bottom line, it better be high quality, durable and priced affordable. It seems like a new company every other week is developing a new turbo kit. A lot of our members been burned so far with new kits that come out so expect a lot of reluctance.
Would you like a supermodel giving a 24/7 BJ included with that too? 7500 seems reasonable to me for a twin kit made with quality parts that fits well. Do you have any idea how much this **** costs?

Quick Reply: GMR SPEED twin turbo ......