Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who holds the record for highest 6 speed FI on pump gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
The load of making a full pass, pushing a 3500 from a standing stop will generate more heat and load than a 2 second hit on the dyno.
would a fuel ice box help any? or is it just because of the octane that itll detonate?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
my input is to use meth.. and lots of it! and when you go to the track to use race gas AND Meth.

I think we all should learn from Davids doings....... go ahead and try and push it on pump gas...... look were it got you right Dave....... it will catch up with you sooner or later..... Im with PSJ.... its not worth the couple dollors here and there to blow up a $6-10K Motor...... That graph looks like a Supra pull...... weres the TQ??? With that much HP and only a 10 sec pass.... not putting you down but Dyno HP is cool and all to say u made it but track numbers are waaaayyyy more inpressive...
I really could care less if i make 900rwhp on C16.... wich i know my new setup is going to do..... id rather run a low 9 sec pass and start doing what i can for an 8 sec pass.
Kyle
Old 11-06-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

My car has gone 140mph on pump gas. No problems.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is some video of Mighty Mouse going almost 148 MPH on pump gas that I took on the way to/at MIR. Check it out :http://www.fastrides.com/forums/4120/ShowPost.aspx

-edit- Oh yeah, full street trim... full exhaust and street tires... but if you'd watch the video already you'd know this

Last edited by Frost; 11-06-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:28 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,113 Likes on 730 Posts

Yah Frost, and he pulled his motor, his numbers weren't safe. It's broken.

GTB, go ahead and run straight 93, no meth, no octane booster, no water injection... let's see how it does.

If you guys think 93 pump can make 1000rwhp with say a 3500 lb car, and small cubes, at like 9:1 compression, I would strongly disagree. Let's see someone go 155mph with 93 pump gas. GTB, I don't care what you dyno, go make a few passes. Some of the dyno warriors on here never make passes. My goal is 151mph with the blower so I have some work to do.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

As a counterpoint, we can built a 540BBC, 8:1, a/w, and go run 150+ on pump gas say at 3000 raceweight. Note the differences.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

honestly, with the crappy track conditions out here, id be happy with a high 10 second pass at around 135+, whatever I end up dynoing, as long as those conditions are met. Is this something you guys think would be possible based off of the information youve seen so far?
Old 11-06-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like John and others have stated it not that you cant make the HP on the dyno with pump 93.... it if the motor will last with pump 93.... will it take it for a while... yes ask Mighty Mouse..... now ask him if he will ever hit the track again on pump 93....... ill bet you anything he will say HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL no its not worth it......
What most people are trying to say is there is a big difference on a 3-5 sec dyno pull and a 1/4 run... the load is different......
Can it be doen?? YES it can...... will i do it??? Hell NO.... its not worth the $$ i have put into my shortblock and setup to risk it when i could of spent $16 more on C16 for the track... how $16 its $6.50 a gallon here...... $4 X4 gallons..... and pump 93 is $2.50...... Im not trying to be an ***...... im just trying to let people see why people use higher octane fuel.. its there for a reason..... it has a purpose and now im just rambling.... im done....
Kyle
Old 11-06-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Kyle,
I understand what your saying, however is it really pratical to go to the track with only 4 gallons of gas? Alot of the guys on here are driving their car tot hte track, like myself if this damn thing ever runs again.

when your talking about a 30min drive to the track it will start to add up fast, not to mention the O2 sensors you will foul out using the leaded gas.

I agree that it is alot cheaper than a new motor, and I plan to do it, its just expensive after while.

I dont think the $16 dollar comparrison is realistic for most on here
Old 11-06-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69firebird
Kyle,
I understand what your saying, however is it really pratical to go to the track with only 4 gallons of gas? Alot of the guys on here are driving their car tot hte track, like myself if this damn thing ever runs again.

when your talking about a 30min drive to the track it will start to add up fast, not to mention the O2 sensors you will foul out using the leaded gas.

I agree that it is alot cheaper than a new motor, and I plan to do it, its just expensive after while.

I dont think the $16 dollar comparrison is realistic for most on here

I see your point....... ill be using the MAF-T Pro and ill be running pump 93 on the street with low low boost..... i run a sumped tank so i can drain that for the track and add C16..... hell most dont even have to run C16.... some 104 unleaded is WAYYY better then pump 93.....
Now driving to the track and back is cool and ive doen it many times.... 165 miles each way..... but now its just stupid for me to try and do it.... trailored to the track even though i do drive it on the street.... you never can tell with something is going to let go and its good insurance.... i fill up on race gas at home because its like $2-3 more a gallon at the track..... and i didnt mean only run 4 gallons of gas i was just using smaller numbers..... even if you add 10 gallons of race gas for the track and drive it to and from we all know its a lil bit for the computer to properly learn the new fuel curve anyways...... 40 mile trip to the track ="s 2 gallons burnt... = $9 if running 104 unleaded..... 10 gallons @ $4.50 a gallon is ONLY $45...... $45 is not alot compared to a blown motor....... thats the point..... i was trying to make Ed.
Its all good brutha people will keep doing what they want.... in the end all other people will do is chuckle in there chairs in front of there computers at home and murmor to themselves..... i told ya so.... its no biggie man.... i have to much into this to skimp on a couple $$ worth of gas.
Kyle
Old 11-06-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

again kyle, I agree with what your saying, we BOTH have way too much money in our cars to risk the motors.

its just there are otehr options for others.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Yah Frost, and he pulled his motor, his numbers weren't safe. It's broken.

GTB, go ahead and run straight 93, no meth, no octane booster, no water injection... let's see how it does.

If you guys think 93 pump can make 1000rwhp with say a 3500 lb car, and small cubes, at like 9:1 compression, I would strongly disagree. Let's see someone go 155mph with 93 pump gas. GTB, I don't care what you dyno, go make a few passes. Some of the dyno warriors on here never make passes. My goal is 151mph with the blower so I have some work to do.
Fully agree with John......

LOL, this is a funny thread. Dyno does not equal track folks....lol. Run the same tune on the dyno and at the track with pump gas with stupid amounts of boost and make sure you take plenty of kitty litter and lots of brooms to sweep up the mess at the track. John, we have sat and argued with customers about this for hours. I am to a point I say let them do it if they insist, blow it and then just say I told you so.....its very liberating

JZ
Old 11-06-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500

LOL, this is a funny thread. Dyno does not equal track folks....lol. Run the same tune on the dyno and at the track with pump gas with stupid amounts of boost and make sure you take plenty of kitty litter and lots of brooms to sweep up the mess at the track. John, we have sat and argued with customers about this for hours. I am to a point I say let them do it if they insist, blow it and then just say I told you so.....its very liberating

JZ
Well not to jump into my own thread, but the main point of my thread was just to see what others were making on pump gas. it had nothing to do with taking it to the track until John mentioned it. Once again, Im not saying I dont agree with him, if you guys say its much safer, then I would rather spend the small amount of money for insurance.

As far as my setup goes, like mentioned before, i have 3 different settings.

pump gas, strait 101 oct, and c16.

the 101 oct is 2 miles from my house, 6 bucks a gallon. The track is 10 minutes from my place so I dont need to worry about that as much.

I only plan on taking my car to the track 2-5 times a year, just to get some numbers on it, or if there is nothing else to do on a friday/saturday night.

couple of questions for you guys.

1. do you think the same situation applies to me if i only plan on racing 2-5 times a year? is it still not safe to do open runs on pump gas? cause my car is a daily driven car, and i wouldnt see the point of having that much power in a daily driver if you had to mix it with higher octane everytime you drove it.

2. If thats the situation, then I shouldnt do WOT runs on the stree either, right?

3. if its not safe, would you recommend filling up a couple of gallons of 101/91 when taking it to the track on low boost?
Old 11-06-2005, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am to a point I say let them do it if they insist, blow it and then just say I told you so.....its very liberating

JZ

Agree completely. It seems like alot of people are on a mission to prove a point with 93 octane.

We all KNOW that it's possible. We've seen the track times and dyno sheets to prove what can be accomplished with pump gas, but you are still running on the edge and taking a risk by not using race fuel, the cheapest insurance you can buy.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Agree completely. It seems like alot of people are on a mission to prove a point with 93 octane.

We all KNOW that it's possible. We've seen the track times and dyno sheets to prove what can be accomplished with pump gas, but you are still running on the edge and taking a risk by not using race fuel, the cheapest insurance you can buy.

Jim, exactly. I just don't understand why people would spend so much money on a setup and then take a chance with pump gas. I guess some people have to much money.

2000Tran, you have a great setup broh, don't take a chance at blowing it up. If your out to prove something or to break a record then that is something else. But if its for the sake of just saving a few bucks by not using race gas, then run lower boost. Their is nothing wrong with running pump gas and making big power, but you need to draw the line somewhere. Just make sure that line is drawn where you have plenty of margin for error.

JZ
Old 11-06-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Jim, exactly. I just don't understand why people would spend so much money on a setup and then take a chance with pump gas. I guess some people have to much money.

2000Tran, you have a great setup broh, don't take a chance at blowing it up. If your out to prove something or to break a record then that is something else. But if its for the sake of just saving a few bucks by not using race gas, then run lower boost. Their is nothing wrong with running pump gas and making big power, but you need to draw the line somewhere. Just make sure that line is drawn where you have plenty of margin for error.

JZ
well this is what me and allan have decided. he is going to make some pulls just to see what this kit is capable of is we went with a mediocre/aggressive tune, just to get some numbers. Then he will de tune it so I will have zero chance of blowing anything up. I told him I want this setup to last me a very long time without a rebuild, so he will re-tune it to be extra safe for me.

Trust me, the last thing I wanna do is blow up a motor that took almost a year and a half to build, let alone the very expensive cost factor. I would much rather sacrafice 30-50, if not more hp for a much safer tune. the lowest boost setting the kit will allow will be 12 lbs.

Besides, its gonna be trouble enough getting used to this much power, so whether its 700, 750 or 800 rwhp on pump gas, it will still be very challenging.

I was just curious if I did run an extremely conservative tune, would I still need to run race fuel when going to the track 2-5 times a year, or just running it on the street.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

600rwhp is a lot of fun and I think can be safe on pump gas.

Now 700-900rwhp... it DEPENDS.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

JZ
I learned it first hand...tune for 700+ then go four gears on the street an prepare for new head gaskets I also blew a coolant plug right out the head
But I still managed 700 on pump safely after a few mistakes...I wouldnt push past 800rwhp on pump though..Im 8:5:1 now though
Old 11-07-2005, 09:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by PurEvl
I learned it first hand...tune for 700+ then go four gears on the street an prepare for new head gaskets I also blew a coolant plug right out the head
But I still managed 700 on pump safely after a few mistakes...I wouldnt push past 800rwhp on pump though..Im 8:5:1 now though

Your new setup should be able to make some good power with pump gas. Just don't get greedy with the boost...hehe
Old 11-07-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your new setup should be able to make some good power with pump gas. Just don't get greedy with the boost...hehe
Lol i have already been given the "talk"

Any guesses on what it will make? Say 14-16psi low timing

Quick Reply: Who holds the record for highest 6 speed FI on pump gas?