Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Which would you put on your car?
Procharger
43.77%
Turbo Charge It!
56.23%
Voters: 626. You may not vote on this poll

Procharger Vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

S/C=easy way to happiness
Turbo= a lil more work to get to that happy place

I've owned both, so far missing the daily fun and basically worry free reliability my ATI kit provided.
But I also had to go through a lot of work to get the ATI to be reliable.
MMS pulley, Cog set up, SDCE set up, FMIC set up=happiness. That was 1+years of dicking with the procharger kit to get it to function how I wanted it. But after it was set up, it was just turn the key and go, change the oil and plugs every 3K.

Looks like I'll be doing the same thing time wise with the turbo stuff
I voted turbo...cuz I "want" to see it through...I want to see what a turbo can do on my ride...but wants are losing to needs right now
J
Old 11-14-2005, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think i'm just going to stick with the Pro, I just feel like I have this undying love for it.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:16 AM
TECH Resident

Nothing wrong with the Procharger. Power can be very impressive, no lag what so ever, and the power comes on very linear. Overall a very nice package once you get the bugs out. I also like the noise the PC makes... people always go "WTF"???

Nothing wrong with turbos either, more power can be made and they tend to be less fussy once setup properly. More mid range punch but they also have lag.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:05 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote procharger for what you are doing, its hard to beat the ease of install and less chopping up your car of an ATI kit. I like the almost OEM look under the hood too. No alternator relocating, hot parts .5" away from things etc.

For sheer power/dragstrip numbers I would say turbo but I have yet to see a turbo kit that bolts on as easy as an ATI and has the power potential. Only sore spot with the ATI was the crappola 6 rib drive and cooling on hot days with the a/c on. The last stock kit I had with the bigger CFM fan handled the cooling pretty well and the 8 rib drive is a huge improvement but I still prefer the SDCE spring tensioned setup - its the only reason the procharger is still on my car
Old 11-15-2005, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, hey kp, just by looking at you being the 9 second director, did you ever know a Darren Wlodarcyzk? He had a TA a while ago, really fast, used to be all in the magazines and stuff.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Semp3rFi
Thanks, hey kp, just by looking at you being the 9 second director, did you ever know a Darren Wlodarcyzk? He had a TA a while ago, really fast, used to be all in the magazines and stuff.
I remember a Darren from when I lived in Chicago that had a supercharged T/A but that was 4 years ago probably. I dont remember his last name though..
Old 11-15-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

you can make very good power either way, until some of the people making turbo kits stay around for awhile I would go supercharger.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

thanks for all the input guys.

yeah, darren lives next door to me, he was the one who really got me into the F-Body thing and turned me onto this site. He had the fastest F-body back in the day, but he ended up selling it
Old 11-16-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Turbos are the trend now. For the hardcore their great. Those that like to tinker will most certainly find happiness in either platform. But unless you're paying money to an experienced professional to install and tune your kit I'd go with the Procharger. It will get you more attention, more reliability, more predictable power(especially in a manual car). Turbos are great but you got all these guys coming in and seeing what the big boys are playing with and think they are gonna drop $5K and be right there with them. It doesn't work like that. None of the top turbo kits out right now have been around long. The kits come and go very quickly. Things might settle down at some point and a few clear leaders present themselves, but for now there are new fly by night turbo companies popping up every other month. Procharger has been around for a LONG time. It's been battling with these new amazing turbo kits since the beginning. The reason blowers are still used is they are battle tested and perform.

I'm not saying blowers are better. it's all about your situation. but for a beginner(unless you got bank and pay someone to do the work), for a DIYer new to this, for someone looking to install it and forget about it, for manuals, for DDs, I think the blower has a clear advantage over the turbo. Obviously I'm biased, but I give credit where credit is due. With the right combo turbos are capable of nasty numbers. But if they were as great as the trend followers would lead you to believe then you'd think there would be a few kits that would have stood the test of time.

If you do think about a procharger, talk to SDCE first. their tensioner kit is the only way to go for an F-body.

JMHO,
Mike
Old 11-17-2005, 06:42 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I have found that up through 12 psi of boost, the totally stock ATI ProCharger D-1SC eight rib kit works just fine as is. 14 psi seems to be the point where you can experience belt slip, some seem to have it, others don't. Bob
Old 11-17-2005, 06:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
I vote procharger for what you are doing, its hard to beat the ease of install and less chopping up your car of an ATI kit. I like the almost OEM look under the hood too. No alternator relocating, hot parts .5" away from things etc.

For sheer power/dragstrip numbers I would say turbo but I have yet to see a turbo kit that bolts on as easy as an ATI and has the power potential. Only sore spot with the ATI was the crappola 6 rib drive and cooling on hot days with the a/c on. The last stock kit I had with the bigger CFM fan handled the cooling pretty well and the 8 rib drive is a huge improvement but I still prefer the SDCE spring tensioned setup - its the only reason the procharger is still on my car
If you are a drag car,even a Procharger can be better.It would have to be moved to get the full benefit though.On the car we are building now it will have a F1R and will be spun to the max rpm limit.A Procharged car will be more consistant
Old 11-17-2005, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

yeah, I'm really liking the procharger more and more.. I havn't heard one bad complaint against it.. Now I know of the D1SC for the Procharger, but do they go higher than that? I was looking at their site and I see the like f1 like you were talking about, but i have no idea what that all means.. sorry for being a newb guys . lol, but also thanks alot for your guys help.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe the D-1sc is the biggest you can get as a kit. After that your just buying the supercharger itself, but you shouldn't ever need to upgrade from the D-1sc especially on a completly stock car. **** will be breaking left and right.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

yeah, I just checked that out, I think the highest I could even imagine is the F1, but yeah, I like the D1SC. Once I get that put on this winter if that ends up being my choice(beginning to look like it) Im going to have them put on the supporting mods so I dont murder my car.

Oh yeah, Detroit- I got a new phone so I dont have 2 way anymore so ill have to pm you my number.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah Vince send it on over, make sure you upgrade your injectors and fuel pump during the install otherwise it'll run like ****. Full exhaust would help it out a lot and eventually with some good tires you'll need a built rear and tranny. My buddy Matt's trans just went with 35000 on the clock and that was right after his cam install and you'll be putting out much more than him. Let me know if you want the supercharger now, that kid still has his up for sale and everything is brand new and never even been opened that way you wont have to wait for one.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

yeah, I keep talking to my dad about it, but he is all harcore about "getting it straight from the factory". But, dont worry, I'm sure I can convince him yeah, for exhaust Im looking at dropping in longtube headers and an off-road y-pipe, then my set up exhaust wise will be complete.. Then all I have to work on is making sure I dont blow my car up
Old 11-17-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah sounds like you'll have a stout setup. By the way who did you say you talked to the other day about a turbo on his LS1? Was it White? J/W because I've seen his car and all and hes got such a nice setup, wish he would take it to teh track and see what it can really do though. Oh and tell your dad this is straight from the factory its still in the freakin shipping boxes.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

His name was chad, I didnt see his F-body because he was driving in his truck because he put it away for winter... I think he said his was pewter as well? Not sure... which is what I'll be doing soon... Im going to miss my baby
Old 11-17-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah trust me it sucks putting her away but after the winter mods it'll only make springtime so much sweeter. I'm so ready to just put the bitch away and start ripping into her to put the cam in.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wet 1
Nothing wrong with the Procharger. Power can be very impressive, no lag what so ever, and the power comes on very linear. Overall a very nice package once you get the bugs out. I also like the noise the PC makes... people always go "WTF"???

Nothing wrong with turbos either, more power can be made and they tend to be less fussy once setup properly. More mid range punch but they also have lag.
For an LS1? Lag? Peak boost at redline is more lag if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Procharger Vs. Turbo