Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo charging and exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo charging and exhaust sound

ok so I know that a turbo charger uses spent exhaust gas to spin the turbine. And there is also a blow-off valve to relieve the pressure. But from every turbo setup i've seen, i see the manifold connect directly to the turbo. And that turbo goes to an intercooler i think. but what about having and actual exhaust sound from the muffler? I know this sounds stupid but please bear with me. could someone please explain to me how this works
Old 11-17-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

essentially I think you are confuesed - but don't worry it happens to every one at some point.

Basically a turbo has 4 openings. 2 inlets and 2 outlets.

One pair allow exhaust gasses in which rotate the turbine, this is connected from the manifold (inlet) to the rest of the exhaust (outlet).

The second pair are completly seperate. The inlet takes air from the air box/filter which passes through the turbo where it is compressed. There are essentially to turbines, one which has exhaust gases passing and rotating it, the other which is being driven by the first and compresses the intake air entering the turbo. The outlet then goes to the TB and intake manifold.

A diagram would probably exlpain it better.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That pretty much sums it up nicely. If you want some more reading/knowledge:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm (there are like 8 pages)

Quick Reply: Turbo charging and exhaust sound