Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Reverse Casting Turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Casting Turbos?

One of the banes of turbocharging twin setups is the impossiblity of making a truly symmetrical system because the turbos are not available in reverse castings so you can run left and right.

For the show/go car this means your beautiful left side cannot be matched on the right.

For the race car this means you cannot get identical sides.

I'm working with an engineer to possibly CAD/CAM something in reverse and have them cast - maybe even in Iconel for the turbine housing... but before we go any further we should ask the obvious...

is there someone somewhere making reverse cast turbos - if so - who and in what sizes?

We're interested in turbo rated flows between 750hp and 1000hp each
Old 12-02-2005, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure I've ever heard anyone really bitch about it though...is it worth the time/effort involved?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

id so buy one, but for now ill make due with makeing just the turbos look right side by side
Old 12-02-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really doubt it would be worth all of the r&d to make one, but I suppose there could be a demand for them. Not many people are going twins anyhow.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torquemonster TT
One of the banes of turbocharging twin setups is the impossiblity of making a truly symmetrical system because the turbos are not available in reverse castings so you can run left and right.

For the show/go car this means your beautiful left side cannot be matched on the right.

For the race car this means you cannot get identical sides.

I'm working with an engineer to possibly CAD/CAM something in reverse and have them cast - maybe even in Iconel for the turbine housing... but before we go any further we should ask the obvious...

is there someone somewhere making reverse cast turbos - if so - who and in what sizes?

We're interested in turbo rated flows between 750hp and 1000hp each
That's what they make on center inlet turbines for. The compressor is still tangential though. If your plan was available when I got the twins I would have for sure gone that way.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not worth the R&D costs as well as tooling, butif you want some parts casted let us know, we can do it. Easier to just run on-center units. As for reverse rotation, yes some of the OLD garrett units were built that way. One of the guys on this board came across one and even posted the pictures in here about 1 month or so ago.

Jose
Old 12-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks Jose - if the foundry I used to be CFO of can't handle it I may give you a call... inconel ok?

re the other comments - I agree it is not cost effective compared to off shelf turbos - but where the end result is what matters not the cost - then there may be a small niche market willing to pay the premium this will cost...

look at this image below - what would this guy have paid to get the left and right the same. It's a crying shame such a work of art was compromised by economies of scale of turbo manufacturers who just want to bang out mass produced clones.

http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=LZDycs
Old 12-03-2005, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Thanks Jose - if the foundry I used to be CFO of can't handle it I may give you a call... inconel ok?

re the other comments - I agree it is not cost effective compared to off shelf turbos - but where the end result is what matters not the cost - then there may be a small niche market willing to pay the premium this will cost...

look at this image below - what would this guy have paid to get the left and right the same. It's a crying shame such a work of art was compromised by economies of scale of turbo manufacturers who just want to bang out mass produced clones.

http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=LZDycs
Link doesn't work.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:25 AM
Teching In

sorry - I'll try it this way...
Attached Thumbnails Reverse Casting Turbos?-twin-turbo-showpiece2.jpg  
Old 12-03-2005, 04:30 AM
Launching!

sorry - I'll try it this way...
"look at this image below - what would this guy have paid to get the left and right the same. It's a crying shame such a work of art was compromised by economies of scale of turbo manufacturers who just want to bang out mass produced clones".

I completely agree!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

You would also need to have a reverse turbine wheel, compressor wheel and compressor housing to match.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Launching!

That car is one of Troy Trepanier's cars.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

I really don't get the point. If you seriously get that hung up on symmetry then why not duplicate the passenger compartment. 2 steering wheels, 2 instrument clusters, pedals etc. What about there only being an alternator on one side of the engine, and one power steering pump. Looks to me like the turbos are about the most symmetrical accessories on there. Sure if mfg.s made mirrored image turbos everyone with 2 would have them even me, but I just don't get the hangup about it. Heck one of mine is turned around backwards from the other so it clears the A/C box.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Does seem a bit pointless.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

If you want a typical T3 or so sized setup just use aftermarket turbos for Mitsu evos...

They mounted the engine in two ways depending on generations.. They had compressor inlets facing one way and the other way.. The newest EVO's are "Backwards"....

I'd get a pair of 10cm^2 turbine housing matching turbos but with the two different turbine housing orientations...

Then have DNP custom make a set of polished SS twin scroll turbo headers to fit a LS1.

Atleast the turbine housings will be mirror images... Now you need compressor covers that way...

Then run their polished 02 housings..

http://www.dnperformance.com/evo.html

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 12-11-2005 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Reverse Casting Turbos?