Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best Meth kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Ok but I have a solid tune now... so I need to advance my timming when I race only? How does that effect when I am not WOT?

This is all great info guys... please keep it comming. Everything I know about LS1's I have learned here. (That and playing with my car)
With alky you will want a new tune. Alkycontrol type kits come on at a user determined level of boost and ramp up. How quickly they ramp up and what the max amount of alky used is controllable. Needless to say as you start addiing alky in your tune you will cut back on the gas. You will be able to run much higher boost and more aggressive timing. If you check out what the Syclone and Buick GN crowd do with Methanol it would scare you. 20-25lbs of boost is not uncommon on pump gas along with a system like this running straight Methanol. The changes in fuel and timing will necessitate an updated tune. I have the alkycontrol system. It was easy for a first timer to install. What really made it easy is Julio Don - owner, that will practically step you through it on the phone if you need it. His coaching and help prior to install made it pretty easy for us.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 PM
9 Second Club

But if you tune for progressive Alky kit... and you run dry / pump malfunctions... boom?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

I'm happy with my Devilsown kit. The controller is very sophisticated and the price attractive. They all use the same Shurflo pump.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Only thing I would suggest if getting a Meth Kit is use it as an additional "safety" feature and dont go too agressive.

Only reason I say this is that there have been cases that meth kits fail and your running huge boost and timing on a tune that was meant for meth only, and can cause damage.

I dont think it happens to often, but just some extra input.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by longrange4u
But if you tune for progressive Alky kit... and you run dry / pump malfunctions... boom?
Yes, anytime a lean condition exists and you are in it, there certainly is potential for a mechanical disaster. The lean condition could be from a fuel pump failure as well, not just the alky system. So... buy a good one with a proven record. I am going to use mine for daily driving and will not be dumping tons of it. I just want the extra cooling and octane to help me in the summer months and allow me to drag a little extra power out of the motor on the top end. So... even if my unit fails I should be able to drive the car normally without putting it at risk and get home fine. I am adding one thing to the alkycontrol system that is a must. Needs and indicator in the tank to show that I have not run out of the fluid. I check it often but it would be smarter to have an indicator to check before I decide to push the car.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So dose anyone make or have a level indication system?????
Old 12-14-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Use your windshield washer tank as the reservoir and you'll have the dummy light on your dash as an indicator.

That's pretty subtle, though... I'm going to ask my installer if he can wire in a big frickin' red LED into that circuit that I can put into my field of vision.

I'll echo that question above, though, because a stand-alone indicator would be preferable.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Planning on making a stand alone tank, would like to have some type of low level indication.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RW99
Use your windshield washer tank as the reservoir and you'll have the dummy light on your dash as an indicator.

That's pretty subtle, though... I'm going to ask my installer if he can wire in a big frickin' red LED into that circuit that I can put into my field of vision.

I'll echo that question above, though, because a stand-alone indicator would be preferable.
I agree... or a buzzer to tell you. Which of the sponsors are most knowledgeable on this subject? Anyone?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

I've been talking with my installer on this issue, and we're going to go with a modified shift light that will illuminate when the methanol line is pressurized just before the nozzle. That's the critical point in the system, after all... it doesn't matter if there's plenty of methanol in the tank if the pump malfunctions.

Or we may find a way to rig a light that will illuminate if pressure is lost in that line when at WOT. Main point: some way to tell that the methanol is actually being sprayed.

An alternative might be some way to monitor realtime IAT's with perhaps some sort of indicator linked to a certain temp condition?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RW99
I've been talking with my installer on this issue, and we're going to go with a modified shift light that will illuminate when the methanol line is pressurized just before the nozzle. That's the critical point in the system, after all... it doesn't matter if there's plenty of methanol in the tank if the pump malfunctions.

Or we may find a way to rig a light that will illuminate if pressure is lost in that line when at WOT. Main point: some way to tell that the methanol is actually being sprayed.

An alternative might be some way to monitor realtime IAT's with perhaps some sort of indicator linked to a certain temp condition?
i think that would be the best way to monitor it, by checking the pressure...

great thread everyone, some very good info
Old 12-30-2005, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

What would you use to check the pressure? I was looking around.. there are some solinoid setups that when the alky pressure drops it will trip a boost controller to drop you into lower boost setting... anyone use this?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checking the pressure is fine... but it doesn't tell you if the nozzles are clogged, which still gives you no meth.
I always hit the meth button and watch my AFR drop on my wideband....then i know i am actually getting meth. Now if it stops working during a pull/run...that's just tough luck along with anything else on your car....and a risk you take.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I know the Aquamist WI kits can be had with a flow monitor. Perhaps it could be adapted for meth ?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

If I spray alky on my existing tune as a safty mesure... will it affect my performance? I want to crank up to about 12lbs of boost on my stock block.. already programed for a solid 11.5:1 AFR all the way up the RPM's
Old 12-31-2005, 01:28 AM
Teching In

alkycontrol and devilsown and SMC all work great
Old 12-31-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

watching the a/f as jarrod said is the best way to tell.

the snow kits are good, lots of options, they have level sensors and all that jazz..

check out their page.. hey, looks like the fastest (mph) 6 speed ls1 was using their meth kit and pump gas to go 147.97

http://snowperformance.net/
Old 12-31-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Longrange, if what you're proposing is to keep your current tune, go up to 12 psi, add methanol injection, and NOT re-tune... I think you're rolling the dice. Depending on what your current psi is, of course.

I think I may have read somewhere that spraying methanol may lower your AFR about half a point or so? Anyone?

RICE ETR, the wideband detection is best, I agree. Is nozzle clogging really something that happens when spraying 100% methanol? I can supply my reservoir with filtered methanol, and the kit also has a filter...
Old 12-31-2005, 01:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting an AlkyControl kit installed on Tuesday! I will post up pictures and increases after!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TrakDay
I am getting an AlkyControl kit installed on Tuesday! I will post up pictures and increases after!
any updates?

Quick Reply: Best Meth kit