Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Finished up my truck manifold turbo set up..

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005 | 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good Jer, hope this setup works better for ya and you get back to the track soon.........
Old 12-14-2005 | 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Pat, me too. Track is closed I think..but it'll be good to drive the car again without some worries that I had before. Are you going to do a truck manifold set up? I really can't believe how easy it is to do one. I'm suprised that no sponsor has stepped up to offer a basic kit. **** they don't even have to sell the manifolds, just the crossover and DP the rest you provide. Once a jig is made one rook can knock out these crossovers two a day easily. Took me about 2hrs to finish the welding on the crossover, but the funny angles were pissing me off. If I had a jig it would've been easier. It was fun to do this one, and it won't be the last, i'll be doing another soon.

J
Old 12-14-2005 | 09:38 PM
Launching!

Jeremy,

Have you tried running the unleaded 101 octane from that gas station on Juan Tabo and Indian School with any of your FI set ups? Just curious, it made a noticable improvement with my SS when I filled it up.
Old 12-14-2005 | 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, I fill up when I plan on some WOT/tuning sessions for the street. I fill up with 103 unleaded VP at the track as well. Other than that its plain ol 91 for everything else and a light foot...sometimes
Old 12-14-2005 | 10:20 PM
Restricted User

Looks good and some nice fabrication. You had to use the gas with the MIG when welding the stainless, correct?
Old 12-14-2005 | 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks awsome Jer..... let me know if i can help anymore or if ya need anything.
Looks awsome buddy and i cant wait for ya to hit your goal. Shoot me a PM on how the fam and lil guy are doing.
Take care buddy.
Kyle
Old 12-14-2005 | 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

NOSjohn, Shhhh , yes but don't tell my MIG machine that it needs gas to weld SS Nah I skip the gas part and just weld SS with flux core. I've done nothing but SS with it so far, 2 FMIC set ups and one exhaust and now a turbo set up and other lil SS projects It works well but the spattering sucks. It takes forever to clean up. One day i'll get the gas for it, maybe for xmas if i'm lucky. But for now i'm stuck with what I have. ONE day i'll have a nice TIG set up, one day(hints for anyone of my family members reading this...it'll make a good xmas gift )

Kyle, thanks buddy, will do. I have that radiator number written down tho...it was pretty hard to get The wifey and lil guy are doing great. He couldn't wait for me to finish the TURBO...he's stoked that he got to see it out of the car again.
J
Old 12-14-2005 | 10:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Nice pics, really gives me an idea of what the geometry all looks like.
Old 12-14-2005 | 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

DO IT PSJ, DO THE TRUCK MANIFOLDS. Thanks Its all pretty easy to fab, and they weigh 1lb less each than my tubular turbo headers...talk about a bonus.

I'll have some in car pics tomorrow....lets hope things still fit right after all that welding

J
Old 12-14-2005 | 11:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

I look forward to in-car pics too.

I got a set of manifolds last week.
Old 12-15-2005 | 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Thanks Pat, me too. Track is closed I think..but it'll be good to drive the car again without some worries that I had before. Are you going to do a truck manifold set up? I really can't believe how easy it is to do one. I'm suprised that no sponsor has stepped up to offer a basic kit. **** they don't even have to sell the manifolds, just the crossover and DP the rest you provide. Once a jig is made one rook can knock out these crossovers two a day easily. Took me about 2hrs to finish the welding on the crossover, but the funny angles were pissing me off. If I had a jig it would've been easier. It was fun to do this one, and it won't be the last, i'll be doing another soon.

J
Yes the plan is to start in spring... I think I am going with a TT setup for the bling effect though. Have everything mapped in my head just have to put it to use. I will take it slow for money reasons as I can now because I have a DD car to drive around. The funny thing is I have to build a fuel system all over again......
Old 12-15-2005 | 05:20 AM
7 Second Club

Looks really good J....may have to get some pointers from you down the road. Can't wait to see your numbers and track times. Something tells me your going to break the 10 sec mark in a hurry!

Mark
Old 12-15-2005 | 05:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

when i read your post title i thought you ment you had it installed and running, thought dang i suck it has taken me forever to do mine. but you still have to do the downpipe yet as well as installing it
Probably took me about 9-12 hours making my crossover and downpipe, just alot longer installing it and everthing else to get it to fit, probably 100-200 hours, maybe more feels like 1000 hours.

looks good. Did you make it so you can use the front sway bar? i looped my piping around it so i can use it or remove it if i want to.
I love how plug access is better then compared to stock.
also be carful bending your dipstick tube, make sure you bend it along the existing bends, like make them curve more or less. If you put in a new bend the dipstick tube will not go up and down it, i ruined mine trying to get it in so i had to by another.
Old 12-15-2005 | 07:09 AM
9 Second Club

looks awesome, hope this solves all your troubles and you are satisfied with the turbo finally

let us know the results
Old 12-15-2005 | 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Looking really good Jer.

Looks really clean and simple.
Old 12-15-2005 | 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by frcefed98
V8 DSM, you def got post pics of your truck project it sounds like its going to be killer. Can't wait to see some teaser pics. I was going to do flex sections on my old kits crossover, but I just decided to axe it and go with the truck manifolds and be done with it.
J
I have alot to learn about the suspension and chasis..

95 out of 100 of the competition trucks are really 2WD..

I'm doing a DIY 4wd... Not easy but I'm not lacking helpers who build other kinds of racing chasis and not in the smarts dept.

This is likely the closest to how my build will be.

These are pics of a prerunner truck being built by McMillen... Everything is chrome moly... Even the spindle hand fabricated from it. The lower arm is built like a battleship.. The upper arm is'nt as critical... It still must be strong but some people even make them from aluminum billet.. The lowers have to be anvil tough since they do most the work and get beat the hardest.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/att...1&d=1088793114

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/att...2&d=1088793275

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/att...4&d=1088813735

The lower arms are always a box structure made from CM plate..

This is a trophy truck. NOT comparable to what I am doing... I dont have like 1 mill to play with and I will still have a ladderbar frame under the cage work....

Smith is the fabricator known for pushing the limits of performance..

Tech article
http://www.truckworld.com/4x4-OffRoa...rbstf-250.html

In action
http://video.off-road.com/videos/200...bsttt1clip.avi

These are the kind of fabricators and trucks I look at to learn how to do it right.. Well atleast what I can afford to do.... Right.. Basically them compared to little old me its like you f-bod guys and john force..

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 12-16-2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2005 | 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

DSM thats some crazy stuff, looks like a lot of fun.

Smokinhawk, nope the car isn't running right now, but its getting close. Yesterday was a bust.....we didn't get to do any work to the car. Our clothes washer blew a hose while we were out and we came back to a house with about an inch of water in the kitchen and laundry room Spent the rest of the day/night cleaning up the water with a shop vac, carpet cleaner and repaired the damn clothes washer

Mark, all the pointers you'll need...get truck manifolds, connect em, mount turbo=awesome turbo kit cheap and easy

Frank, just like your post Come by and check it out...open discussion on a new project too.

Tiago, me too I really want to enjoy the car again. Now if something screws up it'll be my fault

PSJ...

Learned a 70 buck lesson today on a 6 dollar part. Went out and bought a O2 sensor bung, guy told me to clean up the threads because he's had problems with them stripping O2 sensor threads....I promptly forget that bit o' advice and welded it up.
Put my new denso O2 sensor in threaded it in halfway, got out the wrench...and it tightens up and then spins....F#$Ked up the threads...

70 bucks for a new Bosch O2 sensor at a local parts store($$ raped BTW) and 6 bucks for a tap for my trashed new O2 senor bung and I'm back in business

So that wasted most of my day light, I'll get crackin on the DP, PS lines tomorrow. Everything else looks good
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 12-16-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2005 | 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Looks good man.
Old 12-16-2005 | 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, I'll post up some more pic's tomorrow, it was dark out when I snapped these.
Me and my Dad are pretty proud of ourselves. If I didn't jack up an O2 sensor, money spent would have been minimal to do this project.

With the old crossover pipe you could move it up and down real easy as it flexed a lot. With my crossover its solid as a rock. No flex and the GT42 is stoutly supported, is up a lil higher and sits further away from the crank pulley. We did make a small mistake, we mounted the turbo 1/2in too far towards the passenger side...my air filter no longer fits O well live and learn, guess I'll have to find another one of those or re route the lower radiator hose.
J
Old 12-16-2005 | 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have braces holding the turbo other than the y-pipe?

Like a bracket to the block?

Quick Reply: Finished up my truck manifold turbo set up..