Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Screens...who else runs one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turbo Screens...who else runs one?

Well today I had to fab up a turbo screen. It came out pretty good for a few dollars spent and was easy enough to make. This will have to do until my air filter shows up...had order one from Australia

Who else runs a screen here on the board? Do you run any type of prefilter for street jaunts? I used 3 pieces of screen. One heavy mesh for supporting the thin mesh and two layers of thin, tightly spaced mesh for keeping out the rocks and other debris. I used a piece of rubber to make the hold down and then clamped it and it turned out like you see above.

Kinda crazy to run it on the street? A lil but I can't wait to start it up tomorrow after I buy some powersteering fluid.
J
Old 12-30-2005, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've run them on blowers with good success.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened to the one you had?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Thats a big turbo...... I WANT.. I ran one on my eclipse with lots of success.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

screen here as well, going to filter on new engine though.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would be more interested in where you got the materials and how you put it together as the air inlet piping i had fabbed up isn't practical. If you don't mind could you give me some more info? Right now i am braving it without anything covering the inlet but i don't have too many options.

Greg
Old 12-30-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Slowhawk, good to know...this will get me to the dyno, the air should be clean in there

Pat, the old one we use to run was 5 inches long...I have 4.5 inches of room now Messed up a measurement, but everything else fit perfectly

Glad others have run em with great results, this isn't a permanent solution as I do have an airfilter coming, but I need to get back in the driver seat again.

Greg, no problem let me snap a few pics, i'll post up shortly.
J
Old 12-30-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Materials needed, A roll of strong mesh, medium spaced. And one roll of a closely spaced thin mesh. You can find both at Home Depot Racers Supply for about 6 bucks a roll. One rubber collar the diameter of your inlet opening on your compressor housing, you can find these at Home depot as well in the fernco section. One Hose clamp the same size as the inlet.

How to:

Measure diameter of your inlet, GT42 - 5inches
Trace out an inch bigger on your screen with a sharpie, so I traced out a 6 inch circle.
Cut out one circle of the strong mesh, and two circles of fine mesh.

Get the first circle place it over the inlet opening and force it around in all directions until it fits pretty good. Get your trusty hose clamp, clamp the SOB down to get it to form the rest of the way. Remove and you'll see where the mesh folded over and wrinkled, this will be on the side of the flange. Cut down the middle of these folds so the mesh overlaps nicely.

Next get the fine mesh, one at a time to make it easy, fold it over the opening by hand then clamp it down and remove, do it to the second piece as well.

Now with all 3 off the turbo, place em one by one starting with the thick mesh first over the inlet opening and clamp them all together at the very bottom of the flange.

Get your rubber collar, and force it evenly down and around the mesh pieces that should be on the inlet opening Force the rubber collar to right above the hose clamp. Remove the hose clamp and smush the rubber collar down the rest of the way and place the clamp on the rubber and tighten her up.

Done

Pics:
Here's my template after its been cut

Here are the two different mesh screens. One is a real strong mesh to support the thin stuff. Thin stuff is to keep dogs out.

Close up of the thin stuff, double up and it should keep out most FOD.

Sorry I didn't take pics of the process, but its real easy to do.

Hope this helps
Old 12-30-2005, 11:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We have some coming already. They are prefabbed so it just slips right on.

Here is a pic of it on a T3/T4. They are fine mesh......
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Screens...who else runs one?-dsc024271.jpg  
Old 12-31-2005, 12:54 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an idea I have seen large strainers used and work very well like the kind you get at Bed Bath and Beyond and then used a large hose clamp to hold it in place.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jose, lol I had to go to plan B. Thanks for the idea. Got some good pics off of turbomustangs.com for reference.

Inspector, Bed bath and beyond? Not on my car J/K I'm working with 4 inches of clearance and already have a nice foam filter on order so this is temporary. It took all of 15-20 minutes to make and ran me 12 bucks in materials.
J

Quick Reply: Turbo Screens...who else runs one?