Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I need a litte advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need a litte advice please.

I'm in the planning stages of building a 9 second camaro. the car my 2000 z28 with a six speed. I'm looking for advice as to what set up I should look into. I'm considering a sts set up with a upgraded turbo or a conventional under hood single turbo design. I'm not aware of any sts though in the 9's and am wondering if it's possible. I am plannig on setting up the turbo and runnnig about 7 lbs for now untill I finish upgrading the rest of the drivetrain. I have a 9 inch on the way right now and am going to up grade the clutch shortly. I'm also going to get a forged 408 and afr head's. my main question is which way should I be looking to build the car? how much lag would the sts set up compably?
thank's for the help
Old 01-29-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

single turbo truck manifold system with an 88 will get you there. i dont know if you could fit a big enough turbo in the rear, plus you would have to deal with alot of boost leaks, and oiling problems. Sending 15psi through an sts is difficult(lots of place to leak). Iono, its up to you but a front mount is the way i would go.

W2W makes a really good shortblock, and Futural can build you the truck manifold kit. If you just feel like letting someone make it for you.

The truck mani kit is used by the ohio boys and theres a link on the front about there 4th place finish with a 8.18 run. MightyMouse has the fastest six speed and i think hes low 9's.

From what i can tell theres a trade off with all of the turbo systems out.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

with a 408 you definitely dont want a rear mount,itd be more headache than its worth.A nice T88 setup would do just fine and so long as you could hook youd make the power you need for 9's with less problems
Old 01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

thanks guy's that what I was the info I was wanting to know. rear mount kit is out then.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spenser309
MightyMouse has the fastest six speed and i think hes low 9's.

High 9's Killer.... The 6 speed is going to be your weak link..... Your going to need to beef up the M6 and do a front mount kit...... i say go with a smaller cubed motor and use your $$ in other area's that it would used wiser... IE a better turbo kit....

What are your plans for suspension and dont forget about the fuel setup....
Old 01-30-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nasty, Iono if he could make it with an aluminum block. And if hes trying to hit 9's im not sure a stock crank would hold. therefore a 402 is really the cheapest reliable option. A 370 would work also, but hell why not go for the 30 cubes bout the same price with a forged crank anyways.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spenser309
Nasty, Iono if he could make it with an aluminum block. And if hes trying to hit 9's im not sure a stock crank would hold. therefore a 402 is really the cheapest reliable option. A 370 would work also, but hell why not go for the 30 cubes bout the same price with a forged crank anyways.

Im a 370..... stock crank..... I WILL be running 9's....
Harlan ran bottom *'s with a stock crank.... even though he doesnt condone it.....

If this motor ever goes south ill prob build a Alluminum block to help save the extra 88lbs i added with this iron block....
Now if you do go with a 408 then dont choke the motor and go with a small turbo.... by small i mean anything under a 88mm turbo..... a 408 is a big motor and needs to be able to breath....
With my 370 ill only be running this GT42-76 for this season prob and then ill switch to a 88......
Kyle
Old 01-30-2006, 03:24 PM
9 Second Club

So... your saying that with a good 370 and a rearmount (talking to Jose he thinks GT-42 76) I couldnt make 9's? Just wanted to know cause that is what I am shooting for...
Old 01-30-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thing is your gonna need alot of psi to run that number. And when you get into the 15psi range i bet your gonna have problems with exhaust leaks, and boost leaks. Iono, just not the way i would want to do it.

Hey prove me wrong, you got the best chance so far anyways. Your gonna need to upgrade to atleast a 76 or 80, though and spool is gonna be da bitch.

Nasty, Stock crank is good to 1kwhp on alot of the setups. so ya your right. go at it but i wouldnt trust it with somebody who prob wont constantly adjusting there tune to run the correct AFR and watching knock. One knock or overboost and boom that crank would disengrate. Thats why id say to go with the 408 or get a forged crank 370.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its one thing to say your going to make 1krwhp and another to do it....................
Its thrown around here alot and not many have done it.......
The 6 speed is going to be the breaker of that....... Auto w/ a Trans break here.........

Kyle
Old 01-30-2006, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Twin Turbo CE runs a stock crank and he's pushing a lot of power and runs his car hard.

making 9 sec power will be the easy part, getting the car to hook will be the hard part.

you'll have to do a lot of suspension work and even still it will take a while before its all dialed in.

I hope you have a big fat wallet cause that's what its gonna take. I'm not even sure a M6 with Viper internals would last..not to mention a clutch.

it'll be fun as hell to drive.

good luck.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With an auto,forged 346 you could get a STS in the 9's.There is already a heavy GTO that has done it. No one here has really built a Combo in a F-body yet. The 6 speed will kill you on any Turbo setup.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

defintaly doing 9's in the 6 speed will be the hardest part not to many have done it
but lot of people have gone 9's or faster with the stock crank.
Mike B and Matt H have done 8's with the stock crank.

Quick Reply: I need a litte advice please.