Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

just purchased my turbo kit!! help inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just purchased my turbo kit!! help inside

ok i have a stock 346 with lq9s sitting in my room!! can i bolt the 6.0 exhaust manifolds to the lq9s BACKWAADS like most people are doing now??

how do i coat the 6.0 exhaust manis?

cammotion is helping me pick a new cam but i dont have the full specs on the lq9s there stock 6.0 though
Old 02-08-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

what turbo kit did you get? did you buy the phamspeed kit from the for sale section of ls1tech? if so it needs factory manifoldsfacing the correct direction.

But before i get ahead of myself i think you should elaborate on what"kit" you got.

Louie
Old 02-08-2006, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

yes that is the kit i got could i fab it for the 6.0 liter manis?

ohh yea the lq9s are going on as well so i can bolt those up regular if i have to!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

the kit that you purchased takes leaves the manifolds facing toward the rear of the car and then brings one pipe to loop up front and mount the turbo. the 6.0 manifold setup is a custom one off type kit that requires you to flip the manifolds to face forward and then build your own turbo piping to mount the turbo(look at frcefed98 's kit) that is what he did.

If you wanted to do this pretty much everything that purchased (piping wise) will go to waste(or sell it) however the turbo/intercooler/WG/BOV/ etc will still all be ok for the front mount.

The 6.0 manifolds will not go on facing the correct (toward the rear of the car) direction.

the kit you bought was probobly worth it for the accessories alone(not including the turbo piping etc.)

Louie
Old 02-09-2006, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

for sure what about my 6 liter heads im going to be putting on?? will the stock mani's bolt up to the lq9 heads ok?? i dont see what the difference is between bolting the 6 liter mani's than the stock manifolds with the 6 liter heads. He was using stock heads if i recal correctly.....however i will have the 6 liter heads, if im not mistaken the 6 liter manis bolt on facing the rear on the 6 liter heads?? maybe not let me know thanks!! if this doesnt work out i will be planning this in the near future!! And i will bolt the kit how he sends it! i really excited guys !! anyhelp helps tips whateva you got
Old 02-09-2006, 12:28 AM
NKAWTG...N

Is this a custom one off kit? Because I don't know of any kits that use backwards facing manifolds, most of those are custom builds.

Got any pictures of ur turbo kit?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Restricted User

He purchased this kit: (old phamspeed style?)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/856445/6
Old 02-09-2006, 05:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TondSS
for sure what about my 6 liter heads im going to be putting on?? will the stock mani's bolt up to the lq9 heads ok?? i dont see what the difference is between bolting the 6 liter mani's than the stock manifolds with the 6 liter heads. He was using stock heads if i recal correctly.....however i will have the 6 liter heads, if im not mistaken the 6 liter manis bolt on facing the rear on the 6 liter heads?? maybe not let me know thanks!! if this doesnt work out i will be planning this in the near future!! And i will bolt the kit how he sends it! i really excited guys !! anyhelp helps tips whateva you got
your 6.0L heads are a direct replacement for your stock 5.7 heads all gen 3 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0 heads are interchangeable and will fit all the exhaust manafolds that they come with, only thing is if the exhast manfolds can clear in the car, as in the truck manafolds wont fit the standard way on an fbody as the hit the firewall, but will fit and clear the steering shaft pretty well being flipped around.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

ur stock manifolds will bolt to ur 6.0 heads we just did it on my car but i have only one becouse of the the log manifold stye kit..the person u bought ur kit from is a friend of mine and his car was fast with that kit and stock manifold set up and sounds awsome on the down pipe when its spoolin and are u using difrent springs and push rods too u'll need those
Old 02-09-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

yes sir comp 921 dual springs for 650 lift and titanium retainers!!.....thanks for the good info about sound!!! i cant wait hes a cool dude!!

i was thinking about fabbing something like this up and useing the rest of the pipeing

can this work with the rest of the exhaust sorry im new to this!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

so let me get this correct the 6.0 liter manifolds will bolt up backwards to the 6 liter heads??
Old 02-09-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

6l manifolds will only fit in the 1998-2002 Camaro with the outlets facing towards the front of the car, flanges can be bought from stainless works, downpipe works best on the passenger side. 4in downpipe is possible with 3.5 being the norm. The compressor housing is almost touching the radiator and the fans will need to be changed to pusher style.

Iono thats what i know about the 6l turbo setup. Never built one so im not an expert but i read alot.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

u shoud just get 02 ls1 mainifolds they are better than 98-00 and bolt it all up tune it and drive it see how u like it...it will be fast his car made a **** load of TQ even at low boost...then go from there
Old 02-10-2006, 05:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so let me get this correct the 6.0 liter manifolds will bolt up backwards to the 6 liter heads??
hmm try to explain this again. 6 liter (more precisily the truck manafolds) exhaust manafolds will fit on any gen 3 or 4 engine, forward or backwards. Now when a gen 3 or 4 engine (ls1, lq4, lq9, ls2 and ls7) is in an 93-02 fbody they will only fit facing forward.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

ok im going to be buying the new flex-light-fans most likely........ so i can front mount it!! but if i dont want to front mount it i can get the headers to go (backwards facing the rear)how the kit was orinaly made.? using my 6 liter heads and my 6 liter manis (he had stock heads and stock manifold from ls1)with out buying new fans.......but what about the streeing colum in the way??

sorry guys thanks for the help bare with me!

ps...smokinz my car is in the 11s na, with my huge cam im just trying to save money by paying to have the kit put in )the way i know ill want it later )to make the most power because i know later ill want to change it sooooo im just going to probly try to change it now will see....i think if i do it like this i will have less pipeing going under the k member

Quick Reply: just purchased my turbo kit!! help inside