Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stainless or Mild Steel

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 06:32 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound like the people that use the wrong stainless are the ones having problems.I know when you bulid these type of headers you have to be very carefull that you don't have slag bulidup inside the pipe or else the turbo will suck it up and tear up the turbo.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

LASTLS1, the addition of the chromium makes stainless very hard, and brittle, along with adding a much higher expansion rate, this creates cracks, regular low carbon "mild steel" is much more, for lack of a better word, flexable, thus keeping it from cracking

even if it was the same price, i think i would still opt for mild steel coated over stainless unless it was a show car
Old 02-14-2006, 10:21 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by will62085
LASTLS1, the addition of the chromium makes stainless very hard, and brittle, along with adding a much higher expansion rate, this creates cracks, regular low carbon "mild steel" is much more, for lack of a better word, flexable, thus keeping it from cracking

even if it was the same price, i think i would still opt for mild steel coated over stainless unless it was a show car
Well if mild steel is the way to go why do alot if not all nmra heavy hitter turbo guys go stainless?If you have a high boost car getting pipes hot and cold rather quick i think that would be a problem.This is not a beat up session im learning also.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tuff
Well if mild steel is the way to go why do alot if not all nmra heavy hitter turbo guys go stainless?If you have a high boost car getting pipes hot and cold rather quick i think that would be a problem.This is not a beat up session im learning also.
like i said before, its all about preference, to answer your question, if stainless is going to crack, it will be not be in short 1/4 mile runs, if you run it for extended periods on the street it will... If built right, neither will crack, but i just cant justify the extra money for stainless

another point, im not sure about but most race only cars i see with stainless headers are uncoated, probably because the setup is changing often...so if they are not coating the headers, then i can def. see why they would not use mild
Old 02-14-2006, 10:36 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

like i said before, its all about preference, to answer your question, stainless wont crack in short 1/4 mile runs, if you run it for extended periods on the street, it will, if not built correctly. If built right, neither will crack, but i just cant justify the extra money for stainless
But your still going through a high heat cycle.A 1/4 wide open on a high boost car is buliding some serious temp a then cooling down rather quick.A street car is driving around at low boost with no serious temp.I would think the drag car takes a harder beating becauce of the temp swing.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tuff
But your still going through a high heat cycle.A 1/4 wide open on a high boost car is buliding some serious temp a then cooling down rather quick.A street car is driving around at low boost with no serious temp.I would think the drag car takes a harder beating becauce of the temp swing.
your correct, for the most part, a track car will see more extreme temps, but a street car will see high temps MUCH more often, its a longevity thing

for my street/strip car, im going mild steel coated...and yes im rebuilding my headers cause the ones on the pics on my sig suck a big one, i was still learning to weld, but now i got a tig to play with so new headers with slip collectors
Old 02-14-2006, 10:56 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

your correct, for the most part, a track car will see more extreme temps, but a street car will see high temps MUCH more often, its a longevity thing

for my street/strip car, im going mild steel coated...and yes im rebuilding my headers cause the ones on the pics on my sig suck a big one, i was still learning to weld, but now i got a tig to play with so new headers with slip collectors
Its his car and im sure hes going to do what he wants but if if was me i would go stainless but im more of a track guy also just my .02 cents.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:40 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Jim says mild steel, so mild steel it is!

Quick Reply: Stainless or Mild Steel