Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin Turbo advice sought.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo advice sought.

First, thank you for taking the time to view my thread. I am going to post where I am with my car (if you see any weak points, or anything I have missed, please let me know), some ideas I have (please give me constructive criticism)and where I want to end up (more constructive criticism).

With that said, I have the following thus far;
1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Stock 346 w/ most bolt-on's
Stock Fuel System (I'm not sure which injector/pump combo to go with)
Stock M6 w/ Ram HD Clutch and upgraded internals. (do I need to upgrade my output shaft, or anything else?)
Ford 9" w/ 4.11 Gears 1350 yoke, 31 spline axles, TruTrac Posi (will probably step down to 3.55's when I get the boost)
Stock driveshaft (I plan to use a 3.5" Alum HD Driveshaft, will this be enough for good launching?)

In the engine bay I have removed the ABS, A/C, Emissions, Battery is in the back, windshield washer fluid resevoir and front crash support has been removed.

Will have; Spohn Torque Arm with front/rear driveshaft loops, Roll-cage and harnesses. Turbo cam and upgraded valvetrain of some sort.

Unless I can find a better manifold setup, I thought the best route would be to buy a pair of '02 Exhaust manifolds, port them, and then install them backwards, and put a pair of turbos on from there.

That is about as far as I have gotten. I plan to build the motor, later rather than sooner, but I am hoping for 550-600 at the tires on the stock motor (is that too much?), with more coming in later, after the build. What size turbos would be ideal? I'd then have to find a pair of wastegates and a blow-off valve, as well as a boost controller (would prefer something inside the cabin where I can dial it on the fly), and a good front mount intercooler. I would also want to inject methanol to raise the octane for safer/higher boost.

I have no idea what to get and who to get it from. Nor do I know sizes, etc. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Clint
Old 03-13-2006, 04:24 PM
chronic masturbator

well start here if you havent already seen it, other than that I'd say give gmrspeed a call their twin kit is amazing especially considering the price.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

yup gmr has a great kit out right now and it would cover everything you want.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

I'm kind of curious why you are set on twin over single?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Well I see you are already rid of the A/C, sounds like you need out TT kit to fill that void on the lower half pass. side of the engine bay . Give us a call, toll free at 866-899-4948 or email to sales@gmrspeed.com.

-Leo
Old 03-14-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
I'm kind of curious why you are set on twin over single?

Twins just seem the way to go for me. Since I have the space already, I thought I might exploit it.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Greenfire
Twins just seem the way to go for me. Since I have the space already, I thought I might exploit it.
Thats not a very good reason, if I had all the cash back from my turbo setup and I was down to mandrels, I would be running a big single. (Space is not a issue for me either, I'm down to the basics in my engine bay)
Old 03-15-2006, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

make your own kit if you are knowledgeable,save a ton. corkey bell author of max boost recomends a tt setup for anything with 350ci and about i think the ls1 qualifys. but both have there ups and downs
Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

single turbo ls1 has made 1300+hp

nuff said
Old 03-16-2006, 12:50 AM
12 Second Club

yeah but if he has different plans for it like street driving and ect lol he may want to look into a twin instead of a huge single, to help reduce some lag
Old 03-16-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 89Formulaws6
yeah but if he has different plans for it like street driving and ect lol he may want to look into a twin instead of a huge single, to help reduce some lag
Reduce lag? I have access to a single turbo 350ci LT1 that we also fabricated the turbo kit for and there is no lag on it or my twin turbo car, unless you make a horrible choice when purchasing your turbo lag isn't really a issue for us.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:18 AM
12 Second Club

Reduce lag? I have access to a single turbo 350ci LT1 that we also fabricated the turbo kit for and there is no lag on it or my twin turbo car, unless you make a horrible choice when purchasing your turbo lag isn't really a issue for us.

mybad i kinda mis worded the post
Old 03-17-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for you power levels id just go with a single. unless you can find an incon.
but the GMRspeed twin kit would be a wste for you if your only wanting 550-600.
Their single kit would fit well for your needs id look into that.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
for you power levels id just go with a single. unless you can find an incon.
but the GMRspeed twin kit would be a wste for you if your only wanting 550-600.
Their single kit would fit well for your needs id look into that.
I agree! Or unless you love wasting tons of money, usually that money is better spent on stuff like fuel system upgrades.

For example, I just had to pick up new turbo(s) for my car, and it cost a ton to upgrade a twin turbo car. Now I have to go to the local machine shop and have them weld up 2 new down pipes and merge both my wastegates in. You can see where this is all going, I spent almost twice as much as I would have with a big single.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Thats not a very good reason, if I had all the cash back from my turbo setup and I was down to mandrels, I would be running a big single. (Space is not a issue for me either, I'm down to the basics in my engine bay)
same here, i think i could have done it for cheaper as well with a big single... yet for some reason im re-building my twin set-up