Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LT1 twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 twin turbo

i am doing a V6 to lt1swap in to my 1993 camaro. i am useing a 1995 caprice LT1 with cast iron heads. I was now i want to run twin T3/T4 turbos. they are a good price and would spool fast. i need a lot of help with parts.

is there any manifold that can be fliped to work on a lt1 to run TT even with little moding?

would i need to change my belt set up?

do i need new heads or could i use the cast iron 58cc?

what type of crankshaft or stroker kit could i get to hold 635+ hp that will not cost over ?

i seen a compay that can give me a 397kit good for 750+hp with custom
piston for 1700+ shiping.

i no all abot the N/A world on LT-1 's but not much about the TT. what would a good 350-355ci kit cost to hold nice power?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'll def need to rework the heads, as the stock springs etc. won't handle your boost. I would consider getting a used pair of aluminum LT1/4 (or if you have the cash, do AFR, or Trick Flow) heads and send them to Loyd Elliott to have them P/P and new springs, valves etc. He does phenomenal work. You'll do better with the 350/355 rather than a stroker if your going FI.

If you're going to eventually turn up the boost, forge your entire bottom end and lower your compression ratio to around 8.5:1 - 9:1.

Suspension upgrades are a must.

Fuel pump/inj upgrades are a must.

Tune, tune, tune!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Teching In

i have a set of GMPP lt4 heads but they are 54.4cc i do no think they will work good. on a 350ci it is 11:1 with the LT4 heads . i hope i can sell them to and just by some stock aluminum lt1 heads. if i am right don't people use vorteck maniflods and filp them and put them on the lt1
Old 03-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Teching In

ps i think the lt1 motor has 9.1 with the cast iron heads.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Banned

definatly get new heads. I think if you use the LT4 heads, you may need to change to a LT4 intake manifold. It may be cheaper just to buy built heads and port the stock intake manifold. Sounds like alot of work and alot of money! ...man I wish I won the lottery.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:00 AM
12 Second Club

get rid of the iron heads they absorbs heat and can lead to detitnation

i'd run a larger pair of turbos, you commonly find a t3/t4 hybrid's on 4 cyclinders

depending on where your redline is gonna be i'd stay with the smaller stroke of a 350 then a 383

i've seen people cut a section out of a stock manifold and weld a flange on and flip them upside down. but welding cast iron can be difficult

bellville whats that a hour south maybe of pontiac?
i don't think i am that far from you
Old 03-20-2006, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pontiacfireTAWS6
definatly get new heads. I think if you use the LT4 heads, you may need to change to a LT4 intake manifold. It may be cheaper just to buy built heads and port the stock intake manifold. Sounds like alot of work and alot of money! ...man I wish I won the lottery.

exhaust manifold ? i herd u can use stock vortec exhaust manifold and flip them to face the frountand just add turbo flanges to run tt. i can have most of the work done by frends and networking i just need parts
Old 03-20-2006, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroe3
exhaust manifold ? i herd u can use stock vortec exhaust manifold and flip them to face the frountand just add turbo flanges to run tt. i can have most of the work done by frends and networking i just need parts

well its just what i've seen, maybe you can use a vortec manifold i don't know.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont need twin turbos. buy one nice qaulity turbo. stop looking at those cheap ebay turbos, they will fall apart in 2 months.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

i am doing a V6 to lt1swap in to my 1993 camaro. i am useing a 1995 caprice LT1 with cast iron heads. I was now i want to run twin T3/T4 turbos. they are a good price and would spool fast. i need a lot of help with parts.

is there any manifold that can be fliped to work on a lt1 to run TT even with little moding?

would i need to change my belt set up?

do i need new heads or could i use the cast iron 58cc?

what type of crankshaft or stroker kit could i get to hold 635+ hp that will not cost over ?

i seen a compay that can give me a 397kit good for 750+hp with custom
piston for 1700+ shiping.

i no all abot the N/A world on LT-1 's but not much about the TT. what would a good 350-355ci kit cost to hold nice power?
for one, it's not cheap, and if you think you are going to get that hp on a cheap set up, you may, but for how long.having twins just ups the price and complex of the system, for that, I vote for single.

as for a manifold to work for our cars, not really, unless you want to do other things, if you are in the market for a hood, check this out.
http://www.turbochargedpower.com/Imp...SS%2094-96.htm

as far as your belt set up, most of the time it is required but some kits, usually custom can keep it and all acc's.

heads, no you don't need new ones, but to reach the hp numbers you are after, you will ether need high boost, or better flowing heads, and better flowing heads is the better way to go, be it ported, or just better casting. another thing is the deck thickness of the after market heads holds boost better. as well as alluminum disperces heat better than cast steal. but 58cc chambers are fine, just pick your pistons with your whole set up planed first.

and to hold 635 hp, is that flywheel or rwhp? for rwhp, go with an after market crank, eagle are fairly inexpencive, and will hold for more than the hp range you are after. I paid just over 600 for mine shipped, and it is the lightened one. definantly get forged pistons and rods, both a must for that power level.

as for a stroker, a lot of people will tell you to stay with a 3.48 stroke for boost, but I can testify to what a 408 ls1 with boost feels like compaired to a 347 ls1 with boost.

as for the price, I have seen forged eagle cranks and rods with srp pistons for around 1500 balanced, and the price just starts climing from there: heads, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, hot side, turbos, wastegates, bov, intercooler and piping, and tuning (aftermarket ecu or tuning). so what ever price you figure you can do it for, double it.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:11 AM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default ..........

those heads should flow well I would keep them redo the motor with -31 CC dish pistons. this would put you at 8.89 with the .032 head gasket and 54.4 cc chambered heads. BTW these pistons are at thunder racing but im pretty sure you can order them anywhere. I could be wrong but I calculated you comp ratio to be more like 12. Maybe someone could verify. If I have this right 54.4 heads .032 gaskets, 3.48 crank, 4.03 bore and stock lt1s have -2cc relief valve I believe.

i have a set of GMPP lt4 heads but they are 54.4cc i do no think they will work good. on a 350ci it is 11:1 with the LT4 heads . i hope i can sell them to and just by some stock aluminum lt1 heads. if i am right don't people use vorteck maniflods and filp them and put them on the lt1

Last edited by ESR; 03-20-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whynot
for one, it's not cheap, and if you think you are going to get that hp on a cheap set up, you may, but for how long.having twins just ups the price and complex of the system, for that, I vote for single.

as for a manifold to work for our cars, not really, unless you want to do other things, if you are in the market for a hood, check this out.
http://www.turbochargedpower.com/Imp...SS%2094-96.htm

as far as your belt set up, most of the time it is required but some kits, usually custom can keep it and all acc's.

heads, no you don't need new ones, but to reach the hp numbers you are after, you will ether need high boost, or better flowing heads, and better flowing heads is the better way to go, be it ported, or just better casting. another thing is the deck thickness of the after market heads holds boost better. as well as alluminum disperces heat better than cast steal. but 58cc chambers are fine, just pick your pistons with your whole set up planed first.

and to hold 635 hp, is that flywheel or rwhp? for rwhp, go with an after market crank, eagle are fairly inexpencive, and will hold for more than the hp range you are after. I paid just over 600 for mine shipped, and it is the lightened one. definantly get forged pistons and rods, both a must for that power level.

as for a stroker, a lot of people will tell you to stay with a 3.48 stroke for boost, but I can testify to what a 408 ls1 with boost feels like compaired to a 347 ls1 with boost.

as for the price, I have seen forged eagle cranks and rods with srp pistons for around 1500 balanced, and the price just starts climing from there: heads, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, hot side, turbos, wastegates, bov, intercooler and piping, and tuning (aftermarket ecu or tuning). so what ever price you figure you can do it for, double it.

2 - 50mm T3/T4 Garrett turbochargers with Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated turbine housings

this is the samt tubos i was thinking of runing or runing the T4 that are better than them. they come with a one year wanity
Old 03-20-2006, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

i don't think i'd run hybrids on a v8 seriously i know 4 cyclinders that run those no prob lol

i have a brand new,garrett t4 i am trying to sell but don't have enough posts to post in the f/s section lol

was gonna turbo my 350 when i put it in but decided to stay n/a cause its a d/d
Old 03-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Teching In

i would think that the more are u move the faster the turbo will spool. so y is it that every one say that the 350 is better that a 383 or 397ci? i think that t3/t4 are good for like up to 200ci cubes or so. The T4 is good for like 350ci.

Last edited by camaroe3; 03-20-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

they prolly say the 350 is better cause it has a shorter stroke and you could rev it higher(if built correct) there are other reasons

ever seen a compressor map?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 89Formulaws6
they prolly say the 350 is better cause it has a shorter stroke and you could rev it higher(if built correct) there are other reasons

ever seen a compressor map?
no i have not. but think i no what it is about. tell me more about it i hear people talk about them all the time. so what doe .63 A/R mean ? is that the size or the turbo?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Turbine compressor maps tell about airflow produced by the turbo at a certain pressure.

theres soo much to type and it would take all day. in it helps so you can choose the most efficent turbo
Old 03-20-2006, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

also a/r is Aspect Ratios and kinda gets complicated but simply the higher the number the more cfm it can flow at a certain rpm then a smaller turbo

Quick Reply: LT1 twin turbo