Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sequential twin turbo idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im thinking, how are you going to fit all the plumbing under the hood for that set up?
Old 03-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Restricted User

There is quite a bit more room in a truck than there is in an F-body car.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Yep...you sir are correct!!. lol
Old 03-29-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

parish,
If the T88 is spooling too slow, can you try a smaller A/R turbine housing and still move enough air to make good power?
Old 03-29-2006, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

wouldnt you still have to wait for spool? the supras used a smaller and a bigger turbo.. your still throwing exhaust gas at a turbo thats sitting still...
cant tune the slow spool out? try raising egt's for quicker spool..
nitrous is a quick and easier fix..
Old 03-29-2006, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

What about variable geometry turbos? Like what Banks uses on his diesel kits or what GM Duramax's come with. Almost no lag from those. Imagine those in a twin format.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1_boostdscoob
wouldnt you still have to wait for spool? the supras used a smaller and a bigger turbo.. your still throwing exhaust gas at a turbo thats sitting still...
cant tune the slow spool out? try raising egt's for quicker spool..
nitrous is a quick and easier fix..
parish already has N2O on that truck.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Teching In

if you do have a devided housing on your turbos this may be helpful to you
you block off the the passage that send air to the shorter turbine blades.
i hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails sequential twin turbo idea-devided-housing.jpg  
Old 03-30-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

veriable geomitry turbos will start to become more popular on production cars in the next very years! they havr deen used widley on deisels and are starrting to appear on high end pertol car (eg Porsche 911 turbo). the probelm is they are very complex to tune right! try aassking BTF (boldturbofreak) about his scooby with a VGT turbo on it and how long it took to get right! he is normaly nocking around onthe C4 section of corvettefourm.com

N2O is a great way to get the turbo up and running but it runs out. a supercharger would help loads, giving you boost all the time and spooling the turbo sooner but that is very complex and exspencive! bigger cc will help but again thats costly if you already have a forged motor. you could advance the itimg to the limits and map it as boost come on (like the rally guys do) but that takes a hell of a lot of dyno time and if you get it wrong it can be costly!

is anyone with turbos (esp big ones) running anti-lag???? i know it might sound stupid but this is a really effective way of killing lag! ok its not the best idea forthe turbo (quoted as being like trying to spin it using a huge hammer lol) but it does work!

therre are even more ways but i cant be bothered to type anymore. if you want to know some more the just ask! lol

thanks Chris.

PS. what i was trying to say is its always going to be complicated and there will allways be downsides to whichever route you take. itsjust which one (or more than one ) you think will work best for you!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
parish already has N2O on that truck.
I think he means using nitrous only for reducing lag.

ie, squirt 50-100bhp off boost, until a pre-determined boost pressure is reached, then shut it off, and let the turbo take over.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:08 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by chuntington101
lulu that the 3.0ltr diesel used in the 535d right?? i have heard its AMAZING!!! and even better if you let some guys chip it for you! hehe i think they are making 450lbsft and will do well over 30 to the gallon even when giving it some! hehehe

anyway great find!

i think yu will see more VNT/VG turbos coming on the market for petrol engines! they are starting to come through now. the only problems with these butties is they requier complex electronics to control them! the sequential system above looks all manual!

Chris.
Parish, Chris beat me to the VGT/VNT stuff. That tech has really come on strong in the last 2/3 yrs and even more so with diesel stuff in the last 5. Gale Banks used that technology to push his sidewinder dak into the 200 mph club on the salts, so, it has to be worth something. At least talk to someone that's been fooling with that stuff...you might be able to save yourself the hassles of the extra piping, vavles and angist.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Look at the way the turbos are set up on a Cummins twin turbo. Two chargers in series with a large wastegate between the head and first turbo that dumps the exhaust from the first turbo to the second at a certain intake pressure. A setup like this would be killer on a higher revving gas motor.

www.turbodieselregister.com - search here

Quick Reply: sequential twin turbo idea