Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What do u think feels fastest? supercharger,turbocharger or Heads/cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think Nitrous would feel faster cuz it hits all at once, followed by the turbo when it finally builds boost, then the s/c since it's a linear increase, and last the h/c car because it should have less power under the curve. Now which one actually IS faster depends on way too many variables....particularly how much of that power you can get to the ground.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say supercharger cars feel the fastest because they keep pulling hard to redline. Nitrous has a hard hit then feel flat. Turbo's also have a hard hit then feel flat.
Not saying superchargers are the fastest,just they feel that way.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say turbo, but damn did my old H/C setup breath deep up top. that puppy would really take off from about 4500-redline
Old 03-31-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Feels faster is Turbo, SC and then H/C. The reason that Turbo feels faster is the rush of power that hits when the turbo spools while the SC already makes power from the very low end with no lag and keeps going upwards more smoothly. H/C is in the last place because well its a N/A engine. You will most likely need a 402+ with very good H/C to make the power made from a Turbo or SC on a stock 346 engine.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're looking at which one feels faster, look at the dyno graph, the SC is linear where the turbo is peaky. Even comparing turbo LS1 vs Turbo Supra, both at 600rwhp, the Supra felt like there was a blackhole behind the seat and the back was cut out, I couldn't pull myself out of it under full boost.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SStolen
If you're looking at which one feels faster, look at the dyno graph, the SC is linear where the turbo is peaky. Even comparing turbo LS1 vs Turbo Supra, both at 600rwhp, the Supra felt like there was a blackhole behind the seat and the back was cut out, I couldn't pull myself out of it under full boost.

turbo peaky....SC linear??? is it me or do you got this backwards?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

A roots type or an Eaton type twin screw positive displacement type supercharger is going to feel like it hits a lot harder than a Centrifugal type blower. So the 2 main different types of superchargers are going to hit differently. I know that most people here are running centrifugal superchargers though.

My only real turbo expierence is with my GMC Syclone, if you know how to launch it properly on the street there isn't much that's going to get me from 0-80 or so, then it starts tapering off.

Nitrous gives me the feeling of being hit the Hardest, when my car was N20 & bolton's running in the 11's it felt a lot stronger than when I went to H/C & ran the same times & MPH. The H/C combo has a nice linear pull, while the nitrous just kicks you in the ***.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Turbo......every gear you pull is going to give you that added boost due to load....makes more power the faster you go....hands down.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by exSSer
I always get a kick out of the old saying,"there's no replacement for displacement". It's simply not true. As to the best kick in the behind, I'd have to say a positive displacement SC. With the traditional Eaton types, though, you give up a bit when the revs go up. However, the KB twin screw potentially is the best of all combos.

I have to disagree with you here which is fine, I know where you are coming from seeing several 3.0 litre engine making +1000 rwhp in supras and such and I love these cars for what they are, phenomenons of engineering straight from the factory. even a 2.0 litre built right can make obscene power.. formula 1 cars are terribly small displacement engines which spin 20k rpm, but power in the end is derrived from the exact same combination of air and fuel.. and the more of it you can combine and burn to create energy to move pistons, the more power is made. this being said, the formula 1 cars must spin excessively high RPM to make power.. the reason is to move the same amount of air in a given time as a larger engine can move with less rpm.. being that hp is a function of torque, the higher revving engine can generate a big number as the torque curve is very long and very broad. this gives you your power.. the ability of the engine to continue to accelerate under power.

if displacement was not important, top fuel dragster making 6000+ hp would be smaller.. we all know this is not the case. a 600+ ci engine that can spin 15,000rpm and continue to build power will always make mor then the smaller engine spinning the same revs given the air flow through the engine exceeds the smaller of the two. there is no way to get around this. but it does not take away from the accomplishments of smaller engines. not everyone needs a 6000 hp car and very few of us even as power hungry as we think we are have the grit to sit in the cockpit of one of these monsters. take a look at a top fuel driver.. their nerves are shot after a blast down the track.. stuttering, shaking, thats grit.. +300mph in 3 seconds.. I can only imagine what its truly like to experience that, but I know nothing in the world can compare to its like.

Chris
Old 04-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Teching In

I have never driven a turbocharged car, but I have driven in a couple of supercharged (both centrifugal and roots blower) mustangs and a couple of muscle cars with a big block V8. Personally, the big block felt faster and frightening (I"m not used to the torque from a big block) compare to a supercharged mustang even though that some of them were actually faster.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:58 AM
TECH Resident

no replacement for displacement, true. very true. but when you take that statement and turbocharge it, thats what seperates the men from the boys!
418cid LS2+91mm= what you wanna pull into the driveway, or the gas station with, LOL!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Banned

Ok I raced my cousins 2004 lingenfelter ZO6(supercharged-5psi) in my supra(94 single 67mmturbo-18psi) and from a 3rd gear roll the Z06 pulls slightly and from a 4th gear roll the supra pulls(its kinda weird)The vette made 510.0 rwhp and the supra makes somewhere around 480-maybe 500...now ive driven both cars and the supra (FEELS) a hell of alot faster..its just how the power kicks in and how the exhaust note changes(i cant wait to hear it on my trans am) The vette power powerband is very smooth(you cant tell nor can you hear when the boost kicks in)With the supra...it doesnt come into full boost till 4200rpms...it goes from..wow this is boring to..HOLY ****...I NEED A DIAPER. Honestly...the comparison isnt close(at those power levels anyways) My trans am makes over 400rw(h/c) and the other 2 make about 500whp..the trans am just has that off the line jump..but the supra has the coolest/hardest THROW YOU THE **** BACK feeling.(which my trans am will soon share)
Old 08-07-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Supercharger would feel the fastest in my opinion. Bob
I bet you mean the Procharger. Yeah!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

A car with a lid and free mods beats them all.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
Let me rephrase my original question to everyone, if someone got in your car and ddint knwo anything about cars and engines, what would they think felt the fastest, supercharger, turbocharger or head and cams?

the answer to this is..... the car with the 90/10 drag shocks...

because when you dump the clutch, the front end is going to rise up... tossing them back.

after that, all you need is a LOUD exhaust, and they will think they're going very very fast.

dont believe me? heres proof:RightClick, save As.. open in Windows media player
Old 08-07-2006, 08:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I own/drive an 04 Procharged GTO making 600/515 and my good friend has the 04 GTO with solid axle and TT setup making 600/650. Although I have beaten him down the track, his car feels like it pulls way harder.

So the Twin Turbo setup feels faster to me, but whether it is or not we will never know. We kept getting warned at the track to shut down due to our ETs.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

I have driven a STS car, a Procharged Car, a Nitrous Car and a H/C car.

The Nitrous obviously felt the fastest because it creates so much torque right away. Followed by the STS which made full boost at low RPM's. The Procharged car was smoother and just seem to pull and pull. The H/C started pulling after about 4500.

Which is why I run both Nitrous to get me going then the Procharger to keep me there. :zoom: