Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Biggest turbo available for the incon kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-12's would be nice if they will fit. I hope it all works out great for ya Jerry! Get that thing tuned and bust a number.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got them all apart. here is what I have learned. They need just the turbos...the cartridge to exhaust housing bolts are stuck...broke 3...called the guy and he said leave them as he will get them loose and if they do break on him he can get the broken bolts out easily. The 12mm locking nuts that hold everything together....these need to be gotten out with a 6 point boxed in wrench if you cant get a SIX point socket on them. You can get a wrech set with boxed ends (6point ) at Sears for 30 bux....8-16 mm i think it was. If you can get a wrench on them at all, a snapping type motion breaks them loose sometimes.....a steady pull will just round them off. They are soft so you need that "snap" to break them loose. The ones you cant get because you cant get a wrench or you strip (i did like 7), you can cut into with a zizz wheel (cutoff wheel). They are VERY soft and cut easily. get a good groove in them and i was able to break them loose banging them with a cheap screwdriver and a hammer. I mention cheap screwdriver to show how easily they come off. Normally you will bust the plastic handle on a screwdriver hitting it with a hammer.....i used one from the dollar store!!!
The passenger side was disassembled in 1-2 hours.....passenger side 20 minutes as most of those came loose easily. You can not do this on the car...dont try it....on the ground it is pretty easy and i could do it a lot faster now if i had to do it over. I will mail them to Blouch turbo tomorrow. I have the .86 housings by the way. Hopefully the upgraded turbos will get my pig into the mid 9s....9.5-6 would be great. I will try it first with no intercoolers to see where the IATs are with bigger less worked turbos and go from there.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cablebandit
I just got them all apart. here is what I have learned. They need just the turbos...the cartridge to exhaust housing bolts are stuck...broke 3...called the guy and he said leave them as he will get them loose and if they do break on him he can get the broken bolts out easily. The 12mm locking nuts that hold everything together....these need to be gotten out with a 6 point boxed in wrench if you cant get a SIX point socket on them. You can get a wrech set with boxed ends (6point ) at Sears for 30 bux....8-16 mm i think it was. If you can get a wrench on them at all, a snapping type motion breaks them loose sometimes.....a steady pull will just round them off. They are soft so you need that "snap" to break them loose. The ones you cant get because you cant get a wrench or you strip (i did like 7), you can cut into with a zizz wheel (cutoff wheel). They are VERY soft and cut easily. get a good groove in them and i was able to break them loose banging them with a cheap screwdriver and a hammer. I mention cheap screwdriver to show how easily they come off. Normally you will bust the plastic handle on a screwdriver hitting it with a hammer.....i used one from the dollar store!!!
The passenger side was disassembled in 1-2 hours.....passenger side 20 minutes as most of those came loose easily. You can not do this on the car...dont try it....on the ground it is pretty easy and i could do it a lot faster now if i had to do it over. I will mail them to Blouch turbo tomorrow. I have the .86 housings by the way. Hopefully the upgraded turbos will get my pig into the mid 9s....9.5-6 would be great. I will try it first with no intercoolers to see where the IATs are with bigger less worked turbos and go from there.
Wow, what a hassle.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

Cablebandit,

The copper nuts have a slit in them running around maybe half of the diameter where the hex area of the nut meets the rounded top section. If you put a flat head screwdriver, or thin chisel, into that and hit "mildly" to seperate it some, the nut will turn very easy off of the stud. I have a modified "thin" 12mm open wrench I use.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:03 PM
9 Second Club

Madboost...i suspected that but wasnt sure so i didnt post that. Thanks for that tip. That coulda saved me a lot of time but it wasnt too bad as it is anyway. I need to "modify" my 12mm wrench as well I am going to get them to tell me how the wear is on my current turbos. I suspect they are in good shape for 60000 miles but we will see. Thanks for all your guys input....without the info provided in this thread, I would have not known where to start at getting bigger turbos.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Coal Mining Director

BTW, be SURE to check the exhaust turbines for tiny cracks in the housing....don't ask me how I know
Old 06-28-2006, 05:08 AM
9 Second Club

i wonder what caused your cracks?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Banned

I just bought a brand new Incon kit with GT37's. I'm going to Chicago next week to pick it up. ~Joshua
Old 06-28-2006, 10:48 AM
9 Second Club

Josh i will have the same turbos as you or maybe a tick bigger.....you are going to love the kit.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

Josh i will have the same turbos as you or maybe a tick bigger.....you are going to love the kit.
In the photo posted earlier it sure seems crowded in there... plus I know you have the block issue to settle... Jerry, I'll be calling you soon once I have the kit in my garage. ~Joshua
Old 06-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TTSSZ

Am I the only one who saw the brand new gt37 kit in the for sale section a few weeks ago for 8g’s. If I had the cash I would have took it to do a ls1 TT conversion on my 71rsz.
*I did.* I bought the kit within one hour of it going up for sale. 100% complete with the stage 3 GT37 turbos and all hot/cold parts coated for $7.5k ~Joshua

I'm driving to Chicago next week to pick it up.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wont go 8s in my sled...only gonna pick up 100hp
Cable, Are you pretty sure of this hp #? I thought it would have been more. But, doing the math its doesnt seem like a bad deal, it's actually incrementally cheaper than the 300 hp the base kit provided.

Most folks paid $5500 for the kit or $18.30/hp

(My stage I cost me $4,400 new back in 2000. 4400/300hp is $14.6/hp. Gotta love the introductory price!)

This upgrade is estimated at $1600/100hp or $16/hp. not bad if you need the HP fix.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by DaveSchott
Cable, Are you pretty sure of this hp #? I thought it would have been more. But, doing the math its doesnt seem like a bad deal, it's actually incrementally cheaper than the 300 hp the base kit provided.

Most folks paid $5500 for the kit or $18.30/hp

(My stage I cost me $4,400 new back in 2000. 4400/300hp is $14.6/hp. Gotta love the introductory price!)

This upgrade is estimated at $1600/100hp or $16/hp. not bad if you need the HP fix.

Good luck and keep us posted.

That's a pretty close estimate rwhp wise. GT2871R's(88lb/min) max around 750rwhp. Two GT3071R's(100lb/min combined) max around 850rwhp with a -11 chra. If a -12 will fit IMHO it will not equal a factory GT3076R(110lb/min) since your boring out the original GT2871R to make it fit....nobody has a compressor map for that hybrid........
Old 06-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Coal Mining Director

i wonder what caused your cracks?
Pushing the turbines to the limit too many times. Heat kills...I would be surprised if you don't have hairline cracks by now....don't reuse them if you do....
Old 06-28-2006, 05:45 PM
9 Second Club

ill let Blouch check them out. I figure the turbos might do up to 900 but 825-850 ought to be a good conservative guess. I only got 736rwhp out of mine (93+ meth)...maybe racegas + meth would have gotten more.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 PM
9 Second Club

My turbos just got here....1987.00 for the -12 cartridges....machine my housings..2 new exhaust housings...new studs and shipping. I'll snap a few pics but of course they look the same. I still have my s1 cartridges for sale if anyone wants to make an offer. Great backups for when yours need rebuilding. 570 a peice to rebuild yours....mine are in excellent condition according to Blouch turbo and can be had for much less
Old 07-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Teching In

A TOAST...To those old s1 cartridges, they put 2 vert TA's in the 9's.
You put them on without a rebuild and put 60k mi on them, I wonder how many miles they had from the previous 9 second TA vert. To all the non-turbo believers out there, 100,000mi? or better on a TT kit.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:09 AM
9 Second Club

I put 25k on them. I figure they have 60k total. Hopefully I will get 850 out of them. Mike at Blouch said that if I got 736 out of the little ones...theses should get 850-900. Mike was quick with the work. he had to wait 3 days for new exhaust housings but he got them back to me a 5 days earlier than originally estimated. I dunno where our original exhaust housings came from but he matched them up with a Garrett .86 housing and the are dimensionally identical. he did say they are a little different on the inside. I guess I am the -12 guinea pig Its all TTSSZ fault...he worked with me originally so I could afford the kit from him. Next I will try anintercooler like ONfire got but first I will continue with no i/c and a lot of meth!!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Coal Mining Director

I put 25k on them. I figure they have 60k total. Hopefully I will get 850 out of them. Mike at Blouch said that if I got 736 out of the little ones...theses should get 850-900. Mike was quick with the work. he had to wait 3 days for new exhaust housings but he got them back to me a 5 days earlier than originally estimated. I dunno where our original exhaust housings came from but he matched them up with a Garrett .86 housing and the are dimensionally identical. he did say they are a little different on the inside. I guess I am the -12 guinea pig Its all TTSSZ fault...he worked with me originally so I could afford the kit from him. Next I will try anintercooler like ONfire got but first I will continue with no i/c and a lot of meth!!
When are you going to dyno?

Can't wait for the results....especially if they hold steady boost from 5000 -6500 rpm....that's my only worry with the small housings.....you're definitely the guinea pig...I'll be next if they work.

How did you chose Blouch over all the other rebuild shops out there?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:58 PM
9 Second Club

i'll dyno after i have a tune for it. I picked Blouch from this thread....his name was mentioned as being able to do it. Mike is a really nice guy and honest. As soon as i am driving (tomorrow) I will look to get a vid up and some info about spool etc

Quick Reply: Biggest turbo available for the incon kit?