Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Phamspeed Budget Kit Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phamspeed Budget Kit Help!

For those of you who are running this kit can you post a few pics of exactly where your turbo sits. I need to know how high the turbo sits and how close it is to the pullies and radiator. Also what kind of turbo you are running. I'm going to be using a 76mm Garrett on a T6 frame and if you look at the pics below it looks like it's not gonna clear anything when installed. The turbo seems to sit way too high almost level with the headers. Also I only have 7" from my passenger side front exhaust pipe to the turbo 6" from the tip of the flange. When I measure from in the car that would put me right in the middle of my WP pully. Did anyone have to modify you pipes to get it to work?

Old 05-04-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

one thing i can say about pham is that his clearences are close but they fit. i mean im REAL clost to my rad hoses but far enough away to work with out a problem. my suggestion is to just put it on and see what happens. i would dare to say it is close but it will fit. with it lying on the floor like that it could be angles wrong or anything.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

I agree you really need to put it on the car - its not a big project, just get a friend and start one night before a day off and you should be fine.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

one thing the way the headers fit it actually tips the whole assembly forward just a little. I had the same questions untill I put it on the car close but it fits like a glove
Old 05-04-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I needed some positive input. It will be going on in a few weeks as I still need a few things before the install. I know this kit is a tight fit but it's not that it looks like it will be a tight fit, it's looks like it's not even possible. With only 6"-7" between the header and compressor housing on the kit and measuring from the header on the car it just seems like there is no way for it to fit.

Does anyone have any pics of theirs that show just how tight it really is? How big of a turbo is supposed to fit on this kit?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Well ****, you can't tell me there are no local fabrication shops where you live?

If worst comes to worst, call them up and tell em you have a turbo kit that has a slight fitment problem and needs a little welding, shop rates will be between $50 and $75 per hour. You can put the kit on as much as possible, get everything ready and tow it down. They will chop the pipes up a little and reweld them right - job done.

Edit : I think the job will take 4 hours or less, so that would be a good budget.

I'm having to have my headers adjusted a little this year due to a oil return line clearance problem.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

he could be in the same shape im in where there isnt anybody i even trust to change the oil in my cars. thats what i bought a welder, air compressor and all the other crap i need to do it my self. if i screw it up im the only one to blame. the nearest shop to do anything like this is mike browns garage and thats 2.5 hours away from me. i say jsut put it on and see what happens.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It boils down to the fact that I've been an auto tech for 20yrs now and have built plenty of H/C cars. Also tinkered with quite a few S/C cars. Never had experience with turbo motors yet. I know when to say when and bow down and ask questions. Somebody always knows more than you. I don't care who you are. I've just recently been recruited by another auto repair shop and told them that I have this project that I want to do and it shouldn't take up space for more than a week or two at most. I'm trying to avoid my car being torn apart for a considrable length of time while I try to figure out the bugs while on the clock mind you when I told them only a few weeks.

I'm very able to do many things as far as this is concerned but a little help goes a very long way. Little things to you can mean a world of difference to someone else. Especially when you are new to a concept or a company for that matter.

Quick Reply: Phamspeed Budget Kit Help!