Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Questions about HP TT Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about HP TT Kit

After reading through and studying I have decided a supercharger kit even with all the bolt-ons, boost, methanol, and a built motor is not where I want to end up. I don't want an STS kit because while they work, it's questionable if they can pump out 700-800+rwhp numbers. I don't like the PTK kit because of all the cluster under the hood, it's impractical, way too much heat in the engine bay. It may work and puts out good numbers but isn't for me.

I know that the HP kit has had issues in the past but I heard that they worked through that and TSP was a dealer for them. What I would like to know is, how complete is the kit? What type of tune does it come with? What spark plugs does it use? What else is needed? Anyone else want to smack me for even considering this kit?

Remember I am thinking about this kit as a future upgrade, I would buy it with the 57mm turbo upgrade. Buying it now and bolting it on is just to satisfy me until the forged motor goes in.

Thanks for any comments you have!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

I hear hi-flow is releasing their TT kit pretty quick, if its the same quality as the street killer kit I would be impressed.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Restricted User

I heard the same, wasn't it EPP that was installing the kit? From what Exotic stated on their site, it didn't seem that HP wanted to resolve their issues.

Depending on the amount of boost, you would purchase spark plugs accordingly.

We are in the midst of mocking up a twin kit on my personal car that slightly resembles the APS kit. I say this because there is only so much room on a C5 and only a few places/ways to place a turbo kit. So, this is the only way to describe it.

Let me know if you're interested and perhaps we can work a deal with you for being a "beta tester".
Old 05-11-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Personally, I’d never buy a HP kit due to the SERIOUS problems they’ve had in the past. There’s just too many other good companies (TTI, PTK, LPE, HI/FLO, Turbo zone for twins, and FFHP for a single kit that looks pretty good) that would be better choices IMO. I’m not real sure the problem you have with the location of the turbos on the PTS kit. The way they’re stuff is set-up and insulated, underhood heat should not be a problem and from what I’ve seen, they make some sick power!!!. Again. if you don’t like the PTS kit, there are plenty other good companies that would want your business. I’d just start giving them each a call and trying to contact some of their customers. That’s were you’ll separate the Men from the boys.

Just talk to as many customers of some of these shops as you can. The more happy customers and fewer complaints they have, the more apt you are to be satisfied with your high dollar purchase!!

FYI, Johns offer sounds pretty damn good!! I'd probably start there.

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
We are in the midst of mocking up a twin kit on my personal car that slightly resembles the APS kit. I say this because there is only so much room on a C5 and only a few places/ways to place a turbo kit. So, this is the only way to describe it.

Let me know if you're interested and perhaps we can work a deal with you for being a "beta tester".
Old 05-11-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

I got my PTK twins and the craftmanship was nice. I got the kit in 3 month which isnt alot for this kind of stuff. I will say thou that the underhood heat will be bad because the turbos are mounted right under the hood .They told me after I got my kit that I may want to get a vented hood.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Ya that's just the sort of thing I want to avoid. Vented hoods, especially on a street car. I don't want to have to avoid rain or any of that.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Looks wise the PTK kit is by far the coolest. As for heat, with good insulation and coatings on the turbines, you can keep the heat down.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:08 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a guy who owns a shop in Minnesota who installed an HP kit recently on a Mustang. He said he'll never deal with HP again, it sounds like things haven't changed there. Bob
Old 05-11-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I know a guy who owns a shop in Minnesota who installed an HP kit recently on a Mustang. He said he'll never deal with HP again, it sounds like things haven't changed there. Bob
Well damn that sucks. The PTK kit's price starts becoming outrageous when you start adding all the extra costs in, such as all the insulation, thermal blankets, etc etc. I remember that garbage from my import days, prices have stayed the same it seems. Also the PTK kit looks like it's nearly impossible to change the plugs with any mild ease.

TurboZone's kit seems appealing but I have never heard of it on anything nor seen any pictures.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:28 PM
9 Second Club

yea Id be interested in some pics from turbo zone
Old 05-11-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

In the next couple of weeks I will be putting my PTK kit on and Ill let you know about how it goes and how the plugs are.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Launching!

I don't think heat is all that big of an issue with the right shielding...

Old 05-11-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Heat might not be an issue but how much are those turbo blankets? On my turbo 240sx a single GOOD turbine blanket was almost 400-500 dollars a piece. Also how easy is it to change spark plugs with the PTK kit?

Also I can't find anything on a TTiX kit for the Corvette's, no link with pictures or pricing or what it comes with.......
Old 05-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Launching!

4-500????? maybe for one that has greddy or HKS stenciled across it, but I have been shopping for a blanket and have found them to be more inline with anywhere from 100-175.. granted this seems a bit High and if you have any sort of craft and mild fab skills, you could probably derive a good way to localize heat to the specific components creating it.. ie.. turbo(s), manifolds, and wastegates.

Chris
Old 05-12-2006, 12:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
^^^ Heat might not be an issue but how much are those turbo blankets? On my turbo 240sx a single GOOD turbine blanket was almost 400-500 dollars a piece. Also how easy is it to change spark plugs with the PTK kit?

Also I can't find anything on a TTiX kit for the Corvette's, no link with pictures or pricing or what it comes with.......
Here you go:

http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/co...er_systems.htm

It's a fun setup to drive.

Rick
Old 05-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Launching!

The PTK kits come with all the blankets and heat shields.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ Ya I just read that, DOH. Decisions, decisions! The PTK/PTS kit doesn't come with the fueling or management does it? Man this is hard lol.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Restricted User

TurboZone's kit seems appealing but I have never heard of it on anything nor seen any pictures.
Sometimes the quiet and non-visible guys that work in the background make the best stuff...and are the hardest workers.

I may be a new sponsor but I'm not new to turbos, high performance cars, motorcycles or trucks.

edit: send me your e-mail and i'll send you pics of other kits I've done in the past.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

jcagle1@gladstone.uoregon.edu

I am still interested in the donor car/test mule proposition but as per your request we will communicate through e-mail. I don't doubt you guys make some bad *** shizzle.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Restricted User

Sending e-mail now, thanks!